PDA

View Full Version : Saying goodbye to your pet.

snuffy
01-05-2013, 12:13 PM
I read this in the Family Circle Magazine in the waiting room at the veterans hospital on Wednesday.

http://www.familycircle.com/family-fun/pets/saying-goodbye-to-your-pet/

Click on continue to your destination when the link comes up

As dog/pet owners, we know the heartbreak of loosing our beloved partners. If possible, this would be good send-off for an old dog, cat, horse or whatever.

I wonder if anybody else in that waiting room noticed the tears running down me cheeks? If asked, I would have said I was reliving the loss of many dogs, and a few cats, that I knew/loved over my 66 years.

1Shirt
01-05-2013, 12:54 PM
To me the family pet(s) is/are part of the family, and the loss of them is like loosing a family member.
1Shirt!

Freightman
01-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Thanks a lot! now I have something in my eye and can't see.

snuffy
01-05-2013, 04:17 PM
I forgot to add, "have a box of tissue handy".

Part of the family? best friend, hunting partner, personal protector, and willing to die for you.

Alstep
01-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Yea, I know the feeling. They sure become part of the family. Most dogs I know are better than most people I know.

shooter93
01-05-2013, 08:43 PM
I have spent a fortune on pets care. One dog I had became ill and the vet told me medicines would help for 6-8 months but he couldn't be saved. The meds were 1000.00 bucks a month which was my entire take home pay at the time. The dog was still happy, not in pain, wagged his tail and still eating so I said ok. When he asked are you sure all I could say was.....he's been a good friend....I owe him.

gbrown
01-05-2013, 08:53 PM
I've had to put them down, bury them after accidents and natural deaths. Just like losing a member of family. Some would take the animal to a vet and put them down. I have done it because they are in a "friendly" place and it's my responsibility. I cried, shook and just was beside myself afterwards. They never were scared or in fear of the outcome, never felt a thing, end was quick and peaceful. I can live with that. Heartbroken after losing them. All I can say.

Lloyd Smale
01-06-2013, 07:54 AM
problem is a day like that would just be a normal day in my dogs life. When i eat steak so does he. Where i go he goes. Gbrown the vet around here will come right to your home and put an animal to sleep. Call me a coward but i could no sooner shoot my dog even if he were in pain then shoot my son.

RU shooter
01-06-2013, 08:55 AM
problem is a day like that would just be a normal day in my dogs life. When i eat steak so does he. Where i go he goes. Gbrown the vet around here will come right to your home and put an animal to sleep. Call me a coward but i could no sooner shoot my dog even if he were in pain then shoot my son. I have to agree, Ive had to muster the courage to put two of our dogs down over the years .After the last time I told my wife I just cant do it again.It was quick and painless for them but not for me and can still remember it clearly even today no matter how hard I try to forget what I had to do.

Bob Krack
01-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Me too Glenn,

The wife and I took her dog to the vet for his final visit and the dog went nearly crazy in panic. It would have been the same had the vet visited us.

I swore that day that I would NEVER have someone else do what that day was a dirty deed. Mean and nasty to the dog. When it HAS to be done to mine, I will be the one doing it and they will never hear the shot and will be having as much joy as possible when it happens.

I DO understand, Lloyd, and that is your prerogative. No insult intended here. I just can't let my best of friends suffer more than it has to be.

Bob

snuffy
01-06-2013, 11:50 AM
problem is a day like that would just be a normal day in my dogs life. When i eat steak so does he. Where i go he goes. Gbrown the vet around here will come right to your home and put an animal to sleep. Call me a coward but i could no sooner shoot my dog even if he were in pain then shoot my son.

Lloyd, me too! I share any meal I'm eating with my pal. Except pickles, he won't eat pickled food! I also make sure that I play fetch, or "keep away", his version of fetch). For a golden RETRIEVER, that's breaking his breeds purpose!?[smilie=1: He'll be sleeping on his bed, get up coming over to me if I'm watching the boob tube, or on the puter, all he wants is to be petted-scratched. I make sure he always gets some attention. Our time with them is so short, not a moment can be lost.

I have to agree, Ive had to muster the courage to put two of our dogs down over the years .After the last time I told my wife I just cant do it again.It was quick and painless for them but not for me and can still remember it clearly even today no matter how hard I try to forget what I had to do.

RU shooter, I too had to shoot my black lab. Circumstances were such that I couldn't afford a vet. He was sick, and the unknown illness would probably have been expensive. He was old,(14), so he had lived a full life. I was newly married, inheriting a wife and her 3 kids. My dog was left with my retired parents, and they could not afford to feed him either.

It still haunts me to this day. He was a wonderful duck dog, and when I quit hunting ducks, he became a great pheasant/rabbit dog. Well he tolerated rabbits!:roll: refused to retrieve bunnies, gave me a look like "you shot this damn thing, you pick it up"!

You owe it to your buddy to be with him when he goes. Whether it's a bullet/boolit in the brain, or a needle in his vein. My brother,(God rest his soul), always talked somebody into taking his dogs to a vet to be euthanized. He roped me into it once, I said you coward, do it yourself. He said he would cry, he didn't think it manly to bawl over a pet. I shed tears when a pet passes, the same as I do at a friends/family funeral.