PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing Lead?

Whitespider
07-06-2007, 06:24 AM
I spent Monday working on a load for my .41 Redhawk and my very own boolit, the Lee TL410-210 SWC, cast from WW and a bit of tin. Wanted a load that pushed the boolit 1000-1100 fps from my 5½-inch barrel.

Started with SR4756, the same load I always used with commercial hard cast. I alternate holding the muzzle down / muzzle up between shots looking for a load that isn’t so sensitive to powder position. The chronograph showed an extreme spread of near 200 fps. I tried 800X, 700X, AA#5, #7, #9, 2400, Unique, W231, WAP, Clays, Universal Clays, Power Pistol, Herco, Blue Dot, Red Dot, they all showed extreme spreads 125-200 fps. I cleaned the bore between powders, all were leading a bit, some worse than others. It took all day, but I found that 18gr IMR4227 and a Federal 150 primer gave me 1050 fps, ES 41 fps and SD 10 fps. I had some leading just ahead of the forcing cone, but not bad. I was using a steel gong as an aiming point and was too tired for any accuracy testing at that point.

Well, yesterday I loaded up 50 of ‘em and set up a paper target. Starting with a clean gun so I ran a cylinder full at a pop can first, hitting high. The next cylinder at the 25-yard target, supporting my arms and off hand on bags, put all six high and all over the target. I was disappointed, a group size of some 7-8 inches, I was starting to think I couldn’t cast a decent boolit. I checked the barrel, had some leading just in front of the cone. Well I screwed the sight down a couple of clicks and fired another cylinder, the group had tightened up some, still hitting high. Couple more clicks and printed a fairly good group right where I wanted it.

Strange thing, I checked the barrel again, to my surprise the leading was almost GONE! Put up a new target, concentrated on the sights, four shots touching, 5th shot opened the group to just over an inch. I’m not gonna’ tell you about the 6th shot, it don’t count. :mrgreen:

I burned up the rest of the loads at my 50 and 75-yard gongs. Using a semi-rested hold I was able to hit the 75-yard gong (8-inch diameter) 7 out of 8 times. Checked the barrel when I was done, I could see no leading at all, it had disappeared on it’s own! A quick dry brushing over white paper produced maybe a half-dozen small flakes of lead and a bright barrel.

I may never clean that barrel again, I’m afraid too!

Well my confidence is up, I CAN cast a usable boolit. Guess I’ll expand my mold collection from ONE to More. I’m headed over to the “Group Buys” to look around.

357maximum
07-06-2007, 06:45 AM
HA, there are guys here that would be absolutely apalled at my bore cleaning regimine[smilie=1: there was a day when I would have kicked my own *** for what I do now in my cast guns. I clean everything but the bore until the gun tells me otherwise.

38-55
07-06-2007, 06:50 AM
Hey Whitespider,
Good deal ! I've always found that some guns that are new to me take a bit of a break in period before the slight leading stops... I think the barrel has to get 'seasoned' just like a good cast iron frying pan. Just as an observation on my part... I've found that I can usually go a grain or two of powder lighter with my cast bullets as opposed to commercial ones. I still get about the same velocity. I think this is because my cast's tend to be a little softer and they seal a little better. YMMV
Enjoy
Calvin

Bass Ackward
07-06-2007, 07:35 AM
Put up a new target, concentrated on the sights, four shots touching, 5th shot opened the group to just over an inch. I’m not gonna’ tell you about the 6th shot, it don’t count. :mrgreen:

Hey, hey, hey. Who do you think you are newbie? :grin:

The 5 shot handgun groups and then cutting down the target size or placing other targets over the fliers trick belongs to 44man.

We have another guy from California that shoots one hole groups all the time because he only fires one shot too.

And don't try the "moving the target closer" routine either. That's my signature work.

We used to have a guy that would shoot at an 8" X 11" sheet of paper 50 times and then circle the ones closest together. He has left the board so I guess that technique is available if you want to jump on that one. :grin:

SharpsShooter
07-06-2007, 08:52 AM
And don't try the "moving the target closer" routine either. That's my signature work.

:grin:

I tried that too, but the powder burns and lube splatter keep giving it away.:mrgreen:

SS

nicholst55
07-06-2007, 06:36 PM
I tried that too, but the powder burns and lube splatter keep giving it away.:mrgreen:

SS

Especially with 2400 or W296...

Ricochet
07-07-2007, 12:32 PM
With my Mosin M91/30, if I can't get it to group I run down and poke a nice close group of holes with the bayonet.
:mrgreen:

piwo
07-07-2007, 02:41 PM
With my Mosin M91/30, if I can't get it to group I run down and poke a nice close group of holes with the bayonet.
:mrgreen:

With the three Russian variants I have, that's completely necessary! :-D The Finn's shoot better :cool::cool:

44man
07-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Don't give away my secrets! I place the target on a vertical muzzle and shoot through it.

Ricochet
07-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Maybe so, but they've gotten too pricey for me.

Actually, my standard refurbished M91/30 doesn't do too badly with cast bullets.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/SlidePicker/M-NTarget5-11-7.jpg

That's at 100 yards with the NuJudge bullet in 1/4 wheelweights, 3/4 soft scrap, quenched and aged, lubed with my "Brown Thunder," 3.1cc (somewhere around 38 grains) of IMR 7383 and a CCI #34 primer in Graf's brass. Shoots a lot better than milsurp ammo. Bayonet's on, of course.

piwo
07-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Impressive young skywalker... LOL

Ricochet,
It really is impressive. My refurbed 91/30 shoots about 6 inch groups with both Czech yellow tip and Hungarian. It's a a meatball thrower........ But it's got a cool history, without a doubt.:cool:

Ricochet
07-07-2007, 06:29 PM
That's about what mine shoots with Hungarian yellow tip, too.

Haven't tried it lately, though...

I found that the action screw tightness is critical. I was following a suggestion from back in the Gunsmithing forum here. Backed out the front screw and just turned it snug, not very tight. The back one can be run down pretty tight. When I did this, the barrel free-floated. It was tipped down and lightly touching the foreend at the nose.

I posted that over on milsurpshooter.net and found that there seems to be a very wide range of rifle preferences in regard to this sort of thing.

layusn1
07-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Heck, I figure I would do better if I put the bayonet out and throw my Mosins like javelins...I think I might be a little more accurate...at least with my Russian. I have a Polish one that is a bit better.

piwo
07-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Heck, I figure I would do better if I put the bayonet out and throw my Mosins like javelins...I think I might be a little more accurate...at least with my Russian. I have a Polish one that is a bit better.

There are some REAL sweet Polish M44's out there. Their quality is widely considered the best of the M44's of all the nations that produced them. Of course, they were "post war" production, so that helps... Which year was your Polish M44 built if I may ask?