PDA

View Full Version : Revolvers and riccochets

Blackwater
07-05-2007, 04:24 PM
One of the reasons that I never used my Super Blackhawk more than I have for deer hunting is because I live and hunt in such a thickly settled area, and slow moving heavy bullets, such as those from a .44, can and will riccochet MUCH more often than high speed rifle bullets. When I grew up, I think I shot a few of almost everything you can think of short of deer, which were rare then, with my feet firmly planted on my back porch. Now, I can't really shoot in ANY direction without having to worry about riccochets possibly endangering a neighbor. The muzzle blast ensuing will not even be considered here, since that's a subjective thing rather than a physical danger. (Funny, isn't it, how some neighbors don't mind their kids' dirt bikes buzzing incessantly, but shoot one lil' ol' .22 and they get their panties all in a wad?)

Anyway, I have some places where I feel comfortable using a handgun for deer, but I've wondered how a RNFP cast bullet compares as to riccochet potential, compared to a SWC. Seems to me that when fired at a shallow angle to the ground, the RNFP would be more likely to riccochet than the SWC. Seems to me the SWC's sharp shoulder is much more likely to hit the ground, and thus, tip the bullet so that it tumbles heavily if it should riccochet. The RNFP's rounded portion of the nose, however, looks to me to be much more likely to riccochet with (comparatively at least) less bullet deformation, and thus, would tend on average to riccochet further than a comparative SWC would be likely to travel.

The long range revolver shooting I've done in the past has mostly been with Keith type SWC's, and I've habitually observed any riccochets from all my shooting, whatever the kind. It always seemed to me, though this is just the impression I was left with and NOT backed up with any really serious comparative data of any sort, , that the SWC's usually hit the ground and riccocheted in multiple "hops" along the ground, which is where I got the idea that the sharp shoulder of the SWC was "catching" the ground and causing a stronger tipping action on the bullet, which made it tumble more rapidly, and thus, hit the ground in much shorter distances than A RN, RNFP or TC type bullet would.

This was all derived from very casual observation, and of course would depend on just what angle the bullets hit at, the alloy, and who knows how many other variables.

Has anyone got any more to add to my very tenuous observations on this matter? I ask because I really want to use my handguns more for deer than I've had the courage to do in the past. What have you observed about what revolver bullets riccochet worst and furthest?

JohnH
07-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Get a copy of Elmer Keiths"Sixguns"and you will discover why the SWC is the prefered bullet for hunting. The plain lead round nose bullet simply doesn't destroy enough tissue, nor leave a large enough wound channel to reliably make clean kills on jack rabbits, let alone deer. Hit your target, after passing through the chest cavity of a deer, the bullet ain't gonna have enough energy left to be a serious hazard after another 40 yards. If you are hunting so close to a house or others hunting that this is a genuine concern, it is likely your saftey concerns would be better addressed with a bow rather than a bullet.

Ricochet
07-05-2007, 05:58 PM
The ricochet question would be a good one for some old-fashioned experimental testing.

dubber123
07-05-2007, 06:01 PM
The ricochet question would be a good one for some old-fashioned experimental testing.

If we can just find someone to stand down range to keep track of the data..... I vote for Hillary Clinton. Or Rosie O'Donnel.

BruceB
07-05-2007, 07:44 PM
I can't supply any figures on remaining energy AFTER the .44 SWC has penetrated a deer, but I do know this:

On a number of occasions, I fired 429244 SWCs completely through the bodies or heads of big Wood Bison, plus a few moose, and I can assure all and sundry that the remaining energy was sufficient to throw up BIG divots of earth on the far side. These bison likely represent the equivalent of three or four deer in body thickness, and believe me, there was plenty of bullet energy left to make the bullets extremely dangerous for a considerable distance.

I do believe the SWC is more likely to "catch" on physical objects as it proceeds in its ricochets, and "should" tend to shed velocity quicker than a round-nose as a result. Of course, there's also a strong chance that impact has 'streamlined' the profile of the SWC, so it's an iffy comparison at best.

A downward shot angle, as mentioned by fishhawk, seems to be the best way to minimize the risk. Also, a softer bullet which might expand inside the critter would be a benefit.

GrizzLeeBear
07-05-2007, 10:11 PM
While spotting on the handgun silhouette range, I can't tell you how many times I've seen a 44 mag, 45 Colt, etc. SWC bullet hit 30 - 40 yards in front of the rams and bounce into them with plenty of energy left to knock over the 55# target. I would say they could be a serious hazard to anyone standing a lot farther than 40 yards behind a deer that was shot through. Like they say, make sure you identify your target AND whats behind it.

floodgate
07-05-2007, 11:03 PM
To the un-initiated, all ricochets sound like they're coming right at you!

floodgate