PDA

View Full Version : 215 grain 41 mag SWC .430 sizing question

Crunchtyme
01-04-2013, 01:52 AM
I recently picked up another 41 mag Blackhawk, since a fella never has enough 41 mags hanging around. With the deal came 400 pieces brass and various boxes of bullets / boolits. Some included favorites like the Speer 4417 220JSP, but also an unopened box of Grier hard cast 215 41 mag. SWC . Great deal..... so I thought until I hit the cast boolits with the caliper. While each weighed in at 213gr. they are all sized at .430. Try as I might, I cannot get these into the 41 mag case, without crinkled cases and lead shavings.

Just kidding on that last part.

I don't want to have to purchase a Super Blackhawk in 44 mag just to use these up , ( I will if I have to, dern it).

So my questions as a newb to the cast boolit world:
Is it feasible for these to simply be run through a 410 sizing die. ( Lee lube n size and Challenger press) to get these into shape.
Is .020 too much to size these down?
Would this be feasible with different equipment, as I eventually want to be set up for swaging discarded brass for jacket bullets.
Will I be better served trading them out,
or throwing them in the pot, and cast them into 265gr 41 mag boolits.

Hopefully I have not surpassed my 1st post question allotment.

Thanks in advance

Crunchtyme

leadman
01-04-2013, 02:01 AM
Sizing down .020" will probably make the lube groove disappear. I would use them to harden some other softer lead you may have or melt and cast them as is. If this is the common Magma bevel based SWC I have never had very good accuracy with these. Getting leading was no problem though! LOL.

Crunchtyme
01-04-2013, 03:08 AM
I appreciate your response. I guess the lube groove would be helpful to keep.
going to see about recycling these, and casting some heavy 41 boolits.

Thanks

Crunchtyme