PDA

View Full Version : can he do it ?

white eagle
01-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Ok here's the story
I bought a rifle used a 45 colt classic carbine
now I was checking it over and I dropped a 45 colt round in the chamber kerplunk
closed the action nice as can be
no biggie
ok so now I drop a 454 Casul in the same chamber kerplunk
closed the action just like before hmmm....
so now I have a rifle that will chamber both rounds like it was designed to function with the original 45 colt
my question is simple
will it be safe to shoot as it is??
I have heard that some folks get the chamber re-reamed to 454 Casul and I was thinking of doing just that but it appears I may not need to do that
thoughts?

fryboy
01-03-2013, 08:50 PM
can do it and should do it are two different things ...

several thoughts here ..

classic carbine made by whom ? and when ??? if a true classic heck no ( classic being antique etc )
next thought ..even if it does fit loaded will a empty fired case also fit ? it may not and let's say that it's a new made carbine and one of the strongest ones known , if the chamber doesnt have enough room to allow the case to expand and release the bullet - brother you just made a bomb leaving me to ask - how do you feel about blowing a bomb off right beside your face and in your grubby little paws ???

i did find this thread here and if this is the classic carbine you're talking of ...i'd still want to ream it to fit the 454

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-130208.html

Bullshop
01-03-2013, 10:35 PM
If your talking about one of the newer Browning/Winchester low wall carbines I think the answer is yes you can do that.
Since they came factory chamberd in 243 win I think the 454 will be OK. Well maybe I wouldnt go quite as hot as the original Freedom Arms ammo as they claimed 60,000 psi but the other brands should be OK.

jmsj
01-04-2013, 12:01 AM
David,
If it were me I would at least do a chamber casting. It seems that this conversion has been done before. If you decide for yourself that this is safe and what you want to do, then you would know the actual chamber dimensions you have to compare to the factory prints.
Good luck, jmsj

white eagle
01-04-2013, 08:51 AM
its a H&R classic carbine
45 colt fit
454 casull fit
I know that alot of people rechamber the 45c to 454 casull
my chamber will accept both now
so why would I need a rechamber

Derenius
01-04-2013, 09:08 AM
You might need to rechamber because of the simple fact that the chamber might be just short enough that the larger case does not have room to open its mouth enough to release the bullet without the pressure rising to unhealthy levels when the gun goes off. Just get the chamber casted, and then you'll know for sure if the 454 actually fits. The chamber drawings can be found at saami's web page.
Better safe than sorry...

o6Patient
01-15-2013, 06:26 PM
As Derenius has said above:

Maybe they done did started chambering to 454 length , they only way to tell is cast the chamber
or ask them, that's the only safe play.
[smilie=w:
"Can he do it" sounds like the introduction to a dare devil trick.....................:kidding:

Lloyd Smale
01-16-2013, 07:29 AM
load one up with a 250 grain cast bullet and a mild load like 10 grains of unique and shoot it and then check it out to see if the crimp opened. You might want to also mike the whole case for expansion to see how sloppy the chamber is because if its on the big side your going to have poor brass life at those pressures.

tomme boy
01-16-2013, 02:14 PM
David bought the rifle from me. I bought it from someone else on Gun Broker. It was sold to me as new, unfired. I did the same test as David did. I used a piece of range pickup fired brass as I don't own a 454. I would do a chamber cast to make sure. I know a few people over on a certain site that I really don't like, have re chambered these to 460 mag. So the gun will handle it.

pietro
01-17-2013, 12:08 AM
Since Handi's are also factory chambered in .500S&W Mag, I don't think there's much to worry about, as regards the action handling the .454.

I'd be more concerned about the recoil than anything else...............

Four Fingers of Death
01-22-2013, 02:58 AM
It is a shame the bore is the wrong size for 45/70. Same performance (and maybe more), half the pressure.

I'd be doing a chamber cast, you might have a sloppy chamber which would be a right royal PITA.

Go ahead and buy yourself a Rossi 454! You deserve it!

26Charlie
02-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Sometimes they don't stamp the caliber it is chambered for. I bought used a H&R handy rifle ten years ago stamped .357 magnum, chambered for .357 maximum. So, try a Casull round in it if it fits. IMHO you can't hurt it.