PDA

View Full Version : Dicks sporting goods stops gun sales

oldred
01-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Dicks Sporting Goods, 451 stores in 41 states, has stopped selling guns or so I was just told. Any truth to this? Or not?

Kraschenbirn
01-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Generally, I don't patronize 'big box' but, yesterday, it was either go to Dick's or drive 20+ miles (one-way) for a $6 set of sling swivels. The racks were pretty well-stocked with shotguns and bolt action rifles...but no semi-autos - not even .22s - on the rifle side. Last time time I was there, about a month ago, they had a couple of Remington R-15s and 547s along with, maybe, a half-dozen 10-22s in various configurations. I'd read somewhere that they've discontinued all sales of auto-loaders and, at least for the store here, it looks like it might be true.

Bill

oldred
01-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Since posting this question I asked Mr Google and it seems that Dicks has just announced they are halting sales of "Modern rifles", whatever that means. Apparently a group of people who have ordered rifles but not yet received them have been told that they would be receiving refunds instead so they are threatening to sue.

RMK79
01-03-2013, 03:14 PM
From what I understand they only halted gun sales in the stores in CT. All others including mine pulled AR-15's and their magazines on Dec 18th or 19th. Even though I don't agree with their decision to stop selling these I'm not sure what grounds people have to sue them if they are receiving a refund check from their ordered rifles.

starmac
01-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Modern sporting rifles is the NEW politically correct term for black rifles, depending on which side of the aisle you are on.

P.K.
01-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Never bought anything from them but some "kicks" now and again. After hearing about the halt on sales in stores of MSR's and various other semi auto firearms I checked online with Eastbay and can get my shoes there. I always thought Richards was a little overpriced anyway.

41 mag fan
01-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Modern sporting rifles is the NEW politically correct term for black rifles, depending on which side of the aisle you are on.

Thats a way of getting around having to say .." That EVIL Black Gun".....ewwww just the thought makes me shiver...

tomme boy
01-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Ours about 40 miles from here as of yesterday, had 1 of the camo'ed Remington ar15. Lots of 10/22's, shotguns and centerfire bolt actions.

cbrick
01-03-2013, 07:05 PM
I wonder how long it would take for them to change their mind about selling "MODERN" rifles if ALL American firearm owners refused to buy ANYTHING at any of their stores. While strictly black guns may not be their bread & butter it is part of it. American firearms owners ARE their bread & butter.

Whatever they do still sell it isn't anything that you can't order online and probably cheaper.

That's a huge problem, getting like minded folks to agree on something and then follow through.

Rick

shooter93
01-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Evil Black....Modern.....read the post people and send the postcards, they need to receive millions of them.

flounderman
01-03-2013, 07:26 PM
vote with your check book. don't buy anything from them. That gets a businesses attention quicker than anything. without customers, they are out of business.

Para82
01-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Never bought much there in the past because they were always kinda overpriced. Won't have to worry about it now. Not another penny for them.

runfiverun
01-03-2013, 10:04 PM
they opened a richards here in the store that was previously a sportsmans warehouse.
i walked in there once after they opened made a three minute tour of the place and haven't been back.
i can get the same thing they have at the walmart across the street,or the big 5 at the other end of the road cheaper.
or just stop at the lgs that's closer to my house any way and get a used rifle or some reloading gear.
they have not had to hire any new people at the dicks in pokey since it opened, that alone should tell ya somthing.

Gliden07
01-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Don't know if its true or not but it would'nt surprise me?? There name says it all!!

Just Duke
01-03-2013, 10:21 PM
That's a Biff and Buffy effeminate yuppy camping/skiing store store out our way. I have never bought anything there.

I don't know why they even sell guns. They should just sell latte's and rainbow flags.

Blacksmith
01-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Our Dick's is a clothing store that happens to sell a few guns. I had read they were temporarily stopping gun sales. If they make it permanent I will permanently avoid shopping there in the future.

starmac
01-04-2013, 12:25 AM
I walked in one in Idaho ONCE because they had a big sale banner hanging outside, it wasn't my idea of a sporting goods store.

HighHook
01-04-2013, 12:33 AM
Never been in one and i think it will stay that way.

10x
01-04-2013, 12:35 AM
A real gun store will NOT HAVE A RUNNING SHOE for sale anywhere...

Gunload Master
01-04-2013, 12:50 AM
they opened a richards here in the store that was previously a sportsmans warehouse.
i walked in there once after they opened made a three minute tour of the place and haven't been back.
i can get the same thing they have at the walmart across the street,or the big 5 at the other end of the road cheaper.
or just stop at the lgs that's closer to my house any way and get a used rifle or some reloading gear.
they have not had to hire any new people at the dicks in pokey since it opened, that alone should tell ya somthing. I miss that sportsmans wharehouse. As far as dicks go, if they dont sell guns there's no sense in going in there.

Bad Water Bill
01-04-2013, 05:34 AM
It might have been a REAL sporting goods store at one time BUT.

I am old enough to remember a REAL camping and backpacking outfit.

Anybody remember the OLD EDDIE BAUER catalog? Then they opened outlet stores and went after the yuppie yippie crowd. Where is the co that supplied almost every assault of Mt Everest?

Yes their down sleeping bag I purchased in 1965 is still doing its job.

You would think Dicks could have looked at how others had FAILED and avoided the same mistakes.[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

P.K.
01-04-2013, 07:48 AM
It might have been a REAL sporting goods store at one time BUT.

I am old enough to remember a REAL camping and backpacking outfit.

Anybody remember the OLD EDDIE BAUER catalog? Then they opened outlet stores and went after the yuppie yippie crowd. Where is the co that supplied almost every assault of Mt Everest?

Yes their down sleeping bag I purchased in 1965 is still doing its job.

You would think Dicks could have looked at how others had FAILED and avoided the same mistakes.[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

I think EB started circling the bowl when it's name got badged on SUV's. Nothing against the Blue Oval, I think they just decided the yuppie soccer mom was a bigger better market, dunno. Sort of like Petermans? ( Company real enough but mentioned on Seinfeild and it tanked.) I remember when Bananna Republic had actual functional clothing and L.L. Bean was a known name but a much smaller store in a very small town called Freeport.

Just Duke
01-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Heck I remember when Montgomery Ward in Denver CO sold canvas Wall tents and had a huge saddle dept back in 1977.
If you ever want to see a scene like out of the key stone cops we would wander up to the camp grounds right before a rain and watch the idiots scamper around when their yuppy family tent start filling with water as they are NOT water proof that was purchase from as Dick's or Big 5 store.

Eddie Bauer used to be a good hunting fishing and fly tying store. Now it looks like a high end Walmart.

Just Duke
01-04-2013, 08:14 AM
A real gun store will NOT HAVE A RUNNING SHOE for sale anywhere...

A real outfitters store will not carry them either.

SP5315
01-04-2013, 09:11 AM
I've never bought a firearm from Dick's. I have picked up some ammunition from time to time. I have spent a fortune on hockey gear for the kids and their travel hockey team. I may be wrong but I've heard that even if you had a rifle on order that they will not honor their contract to deliver, but will give you a refund. They will never see another on of my dollars again. As Gliden07 said above their name says it all.

Moonie
01-04-2013, 09:19 AM
I have purchased 2 rifles from Dicks, both were for my sons. The prices were good on them as they had them on sale. I will not purchase another from them however.

Bad Water Bill
01-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Now you brought back another memory.

Back in 1961 I worked at SEARS ROEBUCK AND CO. Anybody remember them?

As you got off the elevator in the basement there was a booth were a lady sold COAL by the ton and you could buy your tombstones. Next to her was the sporting goods dept where I bought my dad a 12 ga pump J C Higgins SHOTGUN.

I left the store carrying the gun walked a mile to the train station and came home without a problem.

OH yes the store addy was STATE AND RANDOLPH.

Can you say Chicago loop.:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

How times have changed.

In those days Sir Edmund Hillery gave his stamp of approval of most of their camping stuff.

farmallcrew
01-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Guess I will have to check out the Dicks that is 10miles from me. The biggest box store I would purchase a gun at would be Cabelas. Other than that I love walking into "mom and pop" gun shops.

Pb2au
01-04-2013, 09:36 AM
I hate that freaking store. What waste of valuable land. Lousy gear, crummy prices. Basically an over sized shoe store that on occasion tries to sell firearms. I avoid that place like the plague.
Most of the weekend tactical mall warriors I work with think the place is heaven on earth. :roll:

Just Duke
01-04-2013, 09:58 AM

As you got off the elevator in the basement there was a booth were a lady sold COAL by the ton and you could buy your tombstones. Next to her was the sporting goods dept where I bought my dad a 12 ga pump J C Higgins SHOTGUN.

I left the store carrying the gun walked a mile to the train station and came home without a problem.

How times have changed.

In those days Sir Edmund Hillery gave his stamp of approval of most of their camping stuff.

Sad, the Wards Low rise high rise was demo'd https://maps.google.com/maps?q=555+south+broadway+denver+colorado&hl=en&ll=39.706743,-104.988573&spn=0.00232,0.004128&safe=off&hnear=555+S+Broadway,+Denver,+Colorado+80209&gl=us&t=h&z=19 It's now a Sam's Club. Gates Rubber is still down the street though and made rifle cartridges during WWII.

I remember buying Belgium Browning BAR's at the catalog dept in JC Penny's.

Bad Water Bill
01-04-2013, 10:21 AM
I can not tell you how many converted Mauser rifles I bought at Sears catalog in the mid 60s. Unscrew the 30-06 bbl and put in the flavor of your choice. They had a nice sporter stock and sold for less than $30.00:)

P.K.
01-04-2013, 10:37 AM

How times have changed.

Sad, the Wards Low rise high rise was demo'd https://maps.google.com/maps?q=555+s...gl=us&t=h&z=19 It's now a Sam's Club. Gates Rubber is still down the street though and made rifle cartridges during WWII.

I remember buying Belgium Browning BAR's at the catalog dept in JC Penny's.

I can not tell you how many converted Mauser rifles I bought at Sears catalog in the mid 60s. Unscrew the 30-06 bbl and put in the flavor of your choice. They had a nice sporter stock and sold for less than $30.00

O-k, durn it! Where is my Flux Capacitor????

Even in the late '80's it wasn't cause for alarm to see a couple of kids with .22's or bird guns walking on the side of the road no mater what time of year.... sigh....Now if it ain't locked up 3 ways from Sunday and the ammo for said firearm in a diffren't vehicle preferably in the next zipcode someone thinks....(Fill in your sceanerio here....).

Mal Paso
01-04-2013, 11:56 AM
We had a "Sports Authority" open in town. No Guns! They are not nor do they have any Authority. Silly Name!

Just Duke
01-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Looks like we have a forum wide boycott and that's just here.

alamogunr
01-04-2013, 12:34 PM
I bought a duffel bag the 16 yo grandson wanted for Christmas at Dick's. Found one knowledgeable clerk and got the bag. Lots of employee's walking the floor. Got to check-out and one overworked lady with a long line waiting.

If I could have gotten it anywhere else within reasonable driving distance, I would have left it setting on the floor and walked out. It will be a cold day on the equator before I go back.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-04-2013, 12:57 PM
I was there dec 7th bought the youngest roller skates for her birthday , then the wife took her further into the mall for build a bear , I went up to the gun counter , they have every gun locked to the wall and a trigger lock , and they seemed most unfriendly , i talked to a couple of guys we talked guns i think i have them interested in getting their kids into 4H shooting sports in their county , the one told me about the deals on tree stands over at Menards being post deer season

last gun related thing i bought at Dicks was when they clearance of their 777 powder and conicals about 7 years ago

I am in on the boycott , If we don't stand together boys we will surely hang separately.

I don't think Dick's will mind one bit removing the gun counter they can fill the area with clothing that they can turn 3x the profit on with no need for adult employees that can fill out a 4473.

Jim
01-04-2013, 01:44 PM
A year or so back, I went looking for a 12 gauge over/under. Dick's had something in the price range I could afford, so Janet and I went to the Dick's in Christiansburg.

I filled out the paperwork and the young man behind the counter told me he couldn't sell me the shotgun because my driver's license and voter registration card showed two different addresses. I told him the driver's license showed my post office box number because DMV wanted my mailing address. My physical address is what's shown on my voter registration card because that is what's required for that card.

He told me I had to have two forms of ID that both showed physical address. I asked to speak to the manager. The manager came out on the floor and I explained my situation to him. He gave me that "blah, blah, blah, corporate policy" line, so I apologized for taking up his valuable time and that I would buy a shotgun from a gunshop that would accept the forms of ID I had. He didn't seem too concerned that he was loosing a customer.

That was the last time I was there and I have no plans to go back.

Bulldogger
01-04-2013, 03:08 PM
The Dick's near me is close to DC, though still in Virginia, so it's pretty yuppified. They do sell guns, and don't seem to mind it, but they are always short on "Hunting Lodge" staff. (Man is that name a joke).
I did manage to find a scope rail for my Savage Axis there, which made me happy.
I've bought two guns there, one a Stevens .22 and the other an NEF Pardner 18" home defense pump 12ga.
The Dick's has sales every month on some sort of group of firearms, and both those long guns come and go in the rotation, so I planned my purchases. In the case of the .22 there were two of us there that wanted one, and two left, so I got to choose being the first in line. I took the unopened box, and found out when I got home it had a red-dot sight, intead of the 4x scope the floor model had. We didn't notice during the paperwork (they wouldn't let me touch it, since it wasn't transferred to me, and walked me out the door both times before handing me the gun).

I took it back the next day, and told the manager I wanted to return it, because I wanted the telescopic sight. He explained he couldn't accept returns on guns, but he immediately offered me any comparable sight on the shelves for free. I selected a Simmons .22 mag scope, with better features than the factory-supplied scope, and he handed it to me and I left.

They can be good stores, but I agree they are WAAAAAAAAY overstocked on pretend outdoor equipment, and 100% overstocked on running gear and other useless outdoor equipment.

Once a great store, following consumer trends of sissy activities. (running itself can be useful, like to get away from a bear, and is not a guaranteed sissy activity. Running dozens of miles, and ending up where you started, well that bothers me as wasted time...)

Bulldogger

cbrick
01-04-2013, 03:30 PM
(they wouldn't let me touch it, since it wasn't transferred to me, and walked me out the door both times before handing me the gun).

He explained he couldn't accept returns on guns, Bulldogger

Yep, sounds like just the sort of place I want to buy guns.

Rick

starmac
01-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Even wallmart will let you handle a gun before you purchase it. I'm hardheaded and I admit it, but I know what I would tell anyone that wanted to sell me something (anything) without being able to look at it first. lol

uscra112
01-04-2013, 10:18 PM
The Dick's where I used to live in Michigan didn't have anything for fishing or hunting. When I heard about this I was surprised. I thought they were just for yuppies and granola crunchers.

FWIW the big box names all make their money on clothing. Clothing has a markup of anything from 100% to 300%, especially womens'. Ditto shoes. The rest of the business is just window-dressing to get the marks inside. I've learned not to bother. OK, maybe Cabelas' once a year when I'm going past on US 23 in Michigan, but I rarely ever buy anything. Their prices scare me.

@runfiverun: I've been through the Sportsmans' Warehouse in Twin Falls, ID. They have a real good selection and knowledgeable people. First place I was ever able to find the new CCI Quiet .22 ammo, and I'd driven all the way from Ohio on that trip, stopping at 4 or 5 other stores on the way. If I lived in ID and wanted a new gun, I might buy there. (But of course Red's is only a mile or two away.) Shame you lost the one on your side of the state.

Where I am now (eastern Ohio) we've got a local business called Woodbury Outfitters, which also has a store in St. Clairsville. Big box format, but they haven't discovered the clothing goldmine yet. It's an hour drive, but I go there if I need anything in a hurry. Otherwise I say a thank-you prayer to Algor and order up from the internet.