PDA

View Full Version : A day at the Ranch pic heavy

Az Rick
01-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Thought I would post some pics for those interested. I'm the guy with the brown hat, you know it don't show dirt so bad.
Hope you enjoy knowing where that hamburger you ate yesterday came from.

Best, Rick

RMK79
01-02-2013, 11:36 PM
Great pictures Rick! Reminds me of my childhood here in NM except with sheep.

P.K.
01-02-2013, 11:39 PM
MMMMM.....Beef!

smokeywolf
01-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Always wanted the chance to BBQ half of one of those beef critters.

smokeywolf

x101airborne
01-02-2013, 11:43 PM
Was that a STARCHED shirt I saw on one guy????

Love Life
01-02-2013, 11:47 PM
Nothing says class like starch. I used to starch my wranglers so stiff you could here them peel apart when I put them on. Pictures like that make me miss Texas and the child slave labor my friend's dad put us through.

Thank you for the pictures.

Az Rick
01-03-2013, 12:03 AM
RMK, sheep are four legged critters too! South or North N.M.?

x101, being from Victoria, you know your starch when you see it,...er feel it. Cowboys are vain, got to have a certain look and a wife that irons. Myself I just wear those 95% plastic, 5% cotton shirts. I had blood up to the elbows, when I got home I soaked my shirt in cold water and Dawn dish soap. Good as new, wore it to a dance on Friday. I forgot to clean the cowxxxx off my boots though.

Rick

Love Life, how was that starch on horseback?

RMK79
01-03-2013, 12:08 AM
Central New Mexico, East of Albuquerque.

CLAYPOOL
01-03-2013, 12:42 AM
We were in South Dakota in 2000 Dog Hunting and came over a hill. Down in the vally they were working cattle. We turned around so as to not disturb the cows or help..Much more going on than at my little operation..No branding at my place as me and "Sister" know the girls by name..

starmac
01-03-2013, 12:48 AM
Unless they have changed the laws in NM, you can't even take an unbranded calf to have it butchered without a brand on it, much less sel it.

SHEEP, I helped work four bull wagon loads of sheep one day (cut and earmark) That was enough working sheep to last a lifetime as far as I was concerned. lol

Dean D.
01-03-2013, 12:54 AM
Thanks for sharing Rick! Its great to see folks still dragging calves to the fire instead of using squeeze chutes. I used to attend a friends annual branding when I still had my heeling horse. Good times.

smokeywolf
01-03-2013, 12:59 AM
Never attended a branding. But spent many a happy day babysittin' cattle.

starmac, That's why traditionally, a man who raises cows is called a "rancher" and a man who raises sheep is called a "sheep farmer".

No offense meant to you gentlemen who raise sheep.

smokeywolf

starmac
01-03-2013, 01:22 AM
Well we always called them , ah nevermind. lol I just stayed away from sheep after that one encounter. lol Was always around cows, even raised hogs and MILKED goats, but one day of sheep was enough. lol

41 mag fan
01-03-2013, 08:29 AM
I'd rather have my beef from out there on the range, than from the pens we seen going thru Nebraska. The cattle were standing belly deep in sh*t and mud. Stench was horrible too, and I worked dairy and hog farms all my early yrs into my late teens.

starmac
01-03-2013, 08:39 AM
Probably 99% of range beef is finished in feedlots. Very little beef comes from a pasture to the freezer.

square butte
01-03-2013, 10:06 AM
I enjoyed seeing these. Thanks so much for putting them up. Takes me straight back to my boyhood days up the Aravaipa canyon on Wood brother's (my cousins) Red Panorama ranch - /F/ - Branded that on to alot of calf flanks. Thanks again.

41 mag fan
01-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Probably 99% of range beef is finished in feedlots. Very little beef comes from a pasture to the freezer.

Thats true Starmac. Usually though, we buy a 1/2 beef every year here from the local butcher. Don't buy much from the store, unless we run out and just have to. Would rather buy from the butcher here on hamburger if we run out, he buys local and we know where and what farmer they come from. Usually just 1/2 mi down the road, from Gress farms, so i know they're pasture raised. But the 1/2 beef, are pen raised, and grain fed, but not in a feedlot thats up to their bellies in mud and sh-t. Not much grass in the 1/2 acre lot, but they're fed grain and alfalfa hay.
I'd much rather buy hamburger for $3.50 or so a lb, and know where it came from, than from the store at $2.49 a lb and not know whats in it. Plus it supports the local neighbors here in my area. Or whatever the prices are actually. Here the butchers normally .50 over store price

Love Life
01-03-2013, 10:35 AM
I thought beef came from the store? :mrgreen:

AZ Rick- The starch was not pleasant on a horse. The starch was in my out in town trying to impress the ladies wranglers.

Edubya
01-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Didn't see anybody roasting those mountain oysters. When it's branding time it's also castration time and the Mexicans would have those things cooking before the calf stood up. I think that I was 13 or 14 before I finally tried my first one. Uvalde,Texas.

x101airborne
01-03-2013, 12:01 PM
x101, being from Victoria, you know your starch when you see it,...er feel it. Cowboys are vain, got to have a certain look and a wife that irons. Myself I just wear those 95% plastic, 5% cotton shirts. I had blood up to the elbows, when I got home I soaked my shirt in cold water and Dawn dish soap. Good as new, wore it to a dance on Friday. I forgot to clean the cowxxxx off my boots though.

Rick

Down here, cow**** on your boots verifies how many cows you have. Up to the heel, you own a lot. Up to the ankle, you own a few. And Up to the knee you dont own any, you work for someone else for the love of it. I used to ride a little for a local cowboy here. Mainly while they took the main herd, I would just trail behind and close gates, water the dogs, etc. I got to chase a few, but not often. I wore a starched shirt once. ONCE. In Texas heat, that didn't last long.

starmac
01-03-2013, 01:12 PM
I wondered where the mountain oysters were too, but to be fair we cooked a lot of them with the branding iron burner, or saved them for later.

FISH4BUGS
01-03-2013, 01:19 PM
I know exactly where my burger and beef comes from: about 1 mile from here. We contract with an organic farmer for chickens (3 per month), burger (35 1.5 lb tubes at a time), a few steaks now and again and sausage (20 or so tubes each time)....all organic. Fully stocked freezer at all times.
She contracts with about 60 or so families in the area and feeds them all. She makes a living doing what she loves and we get the best food on the planet.
I know where the animals live, what they eat, how they are treated and know they are happy animals.
Great way to eat, I must say.
FYI: www.llfarm.net

starmac
01-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Happy animals in the freezer. hmmm

Iowa Fox
01-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Didn't see anybody roasting those mountain oysters. When it's branding time it's also castration time and the Mexicans would have those things cooking before the calf stood up. I think that I was 13 or 14 before I finally tried my first one. Uvalde,Texas.

Had a good crop of oysters here this year as the percentage of bull calves was higher than normal.

41 mag fan
01-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Happy animals in the freezer. hmmm

Kobe Beef!!

41 mag fan
01-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Down here, cow**** on your boots verifies how many cows you have. Up to the heel, you own a lot. Up to the ankle, you own a few. And Up to the knee you dont own any, you work for someone else for the love of it. I used to ride a little for a local cowboy here. Mainly while they took the main herd, I would just trail behind and close gates, water the dogs, etc. I got to chase a few, but not often. I wore a starched shirt once. ONCE. In Texas heat, that didn't last long.

Hey you're from TX, took me a few months to figure it out when i lived down there, but here goes.
What does.....
It's like a cow pi**sing on a flat rock mean??

x101airborne
01-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Means it is going everywhere and soaking evrything. I used to milk cows in a 2x2 pit barn 125 cows twice a day every day. I can tell you on concrete it does go everywhere. In my mouth, in my face, hair, clothes etc...

starmac
01-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Hey you're from TX, took me a few months to figure it out when i lived down there, but here goes.
What does.....
It's like a cow pi**sing on a flat rock mean??

It's raining BIG time. lol

Az Rick
01-03-2013, 09:50 PM
MMMMM.....Beef!

P.K. it's whats for dinner!

Az Rick
01-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Thanks for sharing Rick! Its great to see folks still dragging calves to the fire instead of using squeeze chutes. I used to attend a friends annual branding when I still had my heeling horse. Good times.

Thanks, Dean
They are wild but treated with respect. They get eaten in the end though.

Az Rick
01-03-2013, 10:21 PM
.41Mag, A couple of the guys I work with, worked feed lots in Kansas. Good Cowboys, but they hated it.

Starmac, you're absolutely right, ours go from sale to the feed lot to be finished.

Square Butte, This place is not too far from Aravaipa, in Arizona terms. Thank you!

Edubya, The Mt. Oysters go to a dedicated cooler on ice. We sometimes even put them in baggies.

x101, notice not too much cowxxxx on my boots, even though the cattle aren't mine. I told the "Boss" that because of our age we shouldn't be wrestling calves, he agreed. It lasted about 5 minutes. Runnin' the gates is important,

Fish4bugs, you've got it made.

Iowa Fox, the Boss keeps promising to share but never does. He usually cooks up some Rattlesnake too. No kidding1

Az Rick
01-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't know so many would be interested. It's nice to know that many of you have had Ranching experience. I should have known though on Cast Bullets.

It's a good life but tough. I don't do it full time but love every minute. The real Cowboys are something else, just damn good people with values. They have all worked the "Big" Ranches in the Southwest, The Gray in N.M. and for the Babbits here in Az. I enjoy spending time with them and the patience they have had with me. I'm a good "Hand" now, I'd never disrespect them by claiming to be a Cowboy. It's for them to decide when you are.

Best, Rick

Just Duke
01-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Unless they have changed the laws in NM, you can't even take an unbranded calf to have it butchered without a brand on it, much less sel it.

SHEEP, I helped work four bull wagon loads of sheep one day (cut and earmark) That was enough working sheep to last a lifetime as far as I was concerned. lol

You don't have to brand in MO but most do anyway.

Just Duke
01-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Thought I would post some pics for those interested. I'm the guy with the brown hat, you know it don't show dirt so bad.
Hope you enjoy knowing where that hamburger you ate yesterday came from.

Best, Rick

How many head you are you running free range Rick?
Those look like some young fellas there. Were going to go with a calf table from Prieferts. http://www.priefert.com/ProductGroup/cattle-equipment-57/cattle-handling-equipment-515/squeeze-chute-calf-table-accessories-208/ although we do have a bunch of ropes and we both like roping.
Thanks for sharing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKapXLb5qLw

starmac
01-03-2013, 11:06 PM
We never used a table with ranch cattle, The only place I have ever seen them used was on dairy cows, so you could trim their hooves.

Just Duke
01-03-2013, 11:15 PM
We never used a table with ranch cattle, The only place I have ever seen them used was on dairy cows, so you could trim their hooves.

Understandable. Where were going they'll be fenced and cross fenced in 4-500 acres.

Az Rick
01-03-2013, 11:41 PM
Duke, we're only running about 250 head now, down from 450 just a few years ago. We just don't get enough rain anymore, in the drought like the rest of the country. There just isn't much feed in the pastures. Yes, we call them pastures even though it's cactus, dirt and rocks. For a couple of guys using chutes makes a lot of sense. It takes too many hands to work cattle like we do. Ours is in no way a money making proposition, it's subsistence Ranching. Unless you can round up a small army, chutes make sense. The cattle can be worked faster, much less stress to them and you. There's nothing worse than upset cattle, it makes the job much more difficult. We mostly use chutes for bulls but I have branded and cut calves in that way and it works. It's really the easiest way for a couple of guys.

Priefert makes good stuff, we have some. I know it's expensive but it makes it possible to work cattle with just a few Guys. There is a bit of a learning curve as with everything but once you get that worked out it will be smooth sailing. If there's any way I can help let me know. I'm not an expert but I know some.

Good Luck, Duke

helice
01-03-2013, 11:41 PM
Oh heck. Beef does come from the stores. Same place starch comes from. :veryconfu
Hey you weren't branding them critters were you? They'll be too well done.
Great pictures. Great memories.

Just Duke
01-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Duke, we're only running about 250 head now, down from 450 just a few years ago. We just don't get enough rain anymore, in the drought like the rest of the country. There just isn't much feed in the pastures. Yes, we call them pastures even though it's cactus, dirt and rocks. For a couple of guys using chutes makes a lot of sense. It takes too many hands to work cattle like we do. Ours is in no way a money making proposition, it's subsistence Ranching. Unless you can round up a small army, chutes make sense. The cattle can be worked faster, much less stress to them and you. There's nothing worse than upset cattle, it makes the job much more difficult. We mostly use chutes for bulls but I have branded and cut calves in that way and it works. It's really the easiest way for a couple of guys.

Priefert makes good stuff, we have some. I know it's expensive but it makes it possible to work cattle with just a few Guys. There is a bit of a learning curve as with everything but once you get that worked out it will be smooth sailing. If there's any way I can help let me know. I'm not an expert but I know some.

Good Luck, Duke

Thanks for the offer Rick. We have some life long friends that are competitive calf ropers that come visit us during the stock show and a couple times in summer. Their in OK and said we would be down the road from them when we get relocated.
Yea water is the new gold. Hypothetically would it be a money making operation with 40 inch of rain a year?
How far are you from AJ?

x101airborne
01-04-2013, 12:19 AM
The real Cowboys are something else, just damn good people with values.

You will never meet a group of hard handed men willing to take their hat off to meet a woman and introduce themselves. Or so willing to teach a newbie to do something right or take a kid on a ride on their horse. Em boys (MEN) are the salt of the Earth, no doubt. Just dont back talk em when the cows get spooked and they start ranting a little. Trust me, it is not a good idea.

blackthorn
01-04-2013, 01:25 PM
It took me YEARS to figger out why Cowmen hated Sheepherders, AND THEN, the other day I was looking through LOML’s cook book and noticed---Sheppard’s pie is made from BEEF!!!

Edubya
01-04-2013, 01:41 PM
It took me YEARS to figger out why Cowmen hated Sheepherders, AND THEN, the other day I was looking through LOML’s cook book and noticed---Sheppard’s pie is made from BEEF!!!
The difference is, the sheep will graze in a pasture and only leave a stubble. The sun ends up baking the roots and you cannot expect to bring cattle onto that pasture for a year or more. The cattle graze will leave a couple of inches and with a little rain the feeding starts in a month or so.

Az Rick
01-04-2013, 09:39 PM
helice , we try and keep 'em rare to medium rare.

Duke, with that kind of help you've got it made! Forget the table! How many calves to brand? I'm puzzled? I don't know AJ. Help me out.

Rick

Just Duke
01-04-2013, 09:43 PM
helice , we try and keep 'em rare to medium rare.

Duke, with that kind of help you've got it made! Forget the table! How many calves to brand? I'm puzzled? I don't know AJ. Help me out.

Rick

Apache Junction AZ. Everyone there just called it AJ when I live there. Barbie wants 50 to 70.
His wife broke both her wrists and neck a few years ago on a ATV. (We just sold ours) She has made a full recovery but now she just sits around and looks pretty with some really long nails and makes us all laugh. 6 foot tall and a DOLL!.

Just Duke
01-04-2013, 10:13 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/customavatars/avatar14490_4.gif

I got this same picture by the mesquite trees/Jojoba bean tree only I'm in the pic. I'll track some down.
Do you have a bigger pic of this horse?

Az Rick
01-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Thanks Duke, I thought it was a person I should know. I actually live in Tucson but the Ranch is probably two and a half hours from "AJ". I don't go up North too often. Apache Junction is now in the big metro area of Phoenix, almost. I got a kid in school in Gilbert, ASU has a big campus there now. My how it has changed. Williams AFB is now An airport and College campus. We use those quads alot but they are dangerous. I'm glad your friend is okay.

You asked about 40 inches of rain. We'd wash away! Supposed to get 11in. here but don't. They measure the rainfall at the airport. If they get 11in. there it's "official". I never saw a plane that needed watered, but I have seen livestock that did. Thank goodness for wells.

Rick

Just Duke
01-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Thanks Duke, I thought it was a person I should know. I actually live in Tucson but the Ranch is probably two and a half hours from "AJ". I don't go up North too often. Apache Junction is now in the big metro area of Phoenix, almost. I got a kid in school in Gilbert, ASU has a big campus there now. My how it has changed. Williams AFB is now An airport and College campus. We use those quads alot but they are dangerous. I'm glad your friend is okay.

You asked about 40 inches of rain. We'd wash away! Supposed to get 11in. here but don't. They measure the rainfall at the airport. If they get 11in. there it's "official". I never saw a plane that needed watered, but I have seen livestock that did. Thank goodness for wells.

Rick

That's sad. Yes AJ used to be nothing but Rednecks. We used to ride to a bar on Friday night called Kovack's corner where they had a live band and standing room only but we hung out on the patio because we were always healed. Huge baskets of chicken and fries were brought out to us most times on the house. Guess they thought we were security or something. Funny thing is they never got robbed.
They would carry drunk as in plastered cowboys out and put them on their horse and send them home. It take 6 rednecks to mount a drunk cowboy on a saddle by the way.
I have an engineer buddy out your way says you guys have a really low water table now and the aquafer's are really low but that was a few years back. Any change?
We used to go HAM SEASON down your way with good results. I'll scare up some pics.

starmac
01-04-2013, 10:28 PM
I have an engineer buddy out your way says you guys have a really low water table now and the aquafer's are really low but that was a few years back. Any change?

LOL Just this morning a guy called from Az, wanting to know if my old water well rig was for sale, he needs to take his wells down a little.

Az Rick
01-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Duke you were early LE and didn't know it. Good on you. Those drunk Cowboys ," I wouldn't know much about it", are real Buckaroos! At least that's what we call them. For those that don't know it's an insult. You've got to hold your liquor. Hmmm, I always wanted a pair of those chaps,... say shaps,...with hair on them. We all wear chinks now, so much cooler when it's 110, at the risk of being pierced by something.

Az Rick
01-04-2013, 11:50 PM
starmac, what are you doing in Fairbanks,... I assume AK. We have a Fairbanks in AZ, in the Tombstone/ Sierra Vista area. It was a mining town in the Earp days. I run a well rig some. A Smeal, small one, on a F350 diesel, 4 wheel drive, regular cab. We've pulled an 800ft. 2in. well several times, it's about the maximum. It's hard work but I like it. I forget what it weighed, with water in the pipe but heavy.

I know some folks think you get up in the morning and saddle up and ride the range, not so. You get the sprinklers working first so you have feed growing and pasture for the horses and some cattle. Then at times you have well issues. Then the truck won't start,etc. Water is the lifeblood.

Rick

starmac
01-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Well I'm mostly watching my summer wages disappear in fairbanks, but not in Az. lol Mine is a drilling rig, not a pulling rig a mayhew rotary. I'm in Ak, but the rig is in new mexico. Mine is just the mayhew 500, and I'm not sure how big of a bit you can use with it. His water is plenty shallow enough for my rig, but I'm not positive it will handle a big enough bit for an irrigation well. He is going to check it out, and use it if it will work for what he needs.

Just Duke
01-05-2013, 12:59 AM
Rick, have you seen our saddle shop? www.warponysaddlery.com

Az Rick
01-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Duke, somehow I missed the horse pic question last night. He's my screen saver. I must have deleted the screen saver one. He's a Mexican horse, you ought to see his brand. I need to take a picture when it gets warm and he's slick. It's kinda faint. He's a real good cow horse. His rigging is a bit of a mess in that pic. We did a lot of uphill/downhill that morning. I did re adjust him before we started off. There's about 20 head directly behind me resting. I managed to coax them up there from the valley. My partner that day had just lost about 15 head when they had decided they didn't want to walk uphill. I had a ringside seat up there. They just bolted and you can't head 'em off in that kind of country. He tried. I did look at the site a long time ago. I'll check it out again.
Mexican horses are bred tough, no frills. You probably know that,... they have tough hooves, great in the rocks.

Rick

Az Rick
01-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Duke, you are a very, very bad man. I'm liking that basket weave breast collar by Cactus Saddlery. I'm about to need one. A matching headstall, aka Bridle to me would be real nice. That's Tack that will last.

Guy's I got a birthday coming up in 5 months or so, gives you plenty of time to save up,...make a real nice present.

Best

Just Duke
01-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Duke, somehow I missed the horse pic question last night. He's my screen saver. I must have deleted the screen saver one. He's a Mexican horse, you ought to see his brand. I need to take a picture when it gets warm and he's slick. It's kinda faint. He's a real good cow horse. His rigging is a bit of a mess in that pic. We did a lot of uphill/downhill that morning. I did re adjust him before we started off. There's about 20 head directly behind me resting. I managed to coax them up there from the valley. My partner that day had just lost about 15 head when they had decided they didn't want to walk uphill. I had a ringside seat up there. They just bolted and you can't head 'em off in that kind of country. He tried. I did look at the site a long time ago. I'll check it out again.
Mexican horses are bred tough, no frills. You probably know that they have tough hooves, great in the rocks.

Rick

I haven't seen a cloths line pole since leaving CO in 89. If I were there I'd build you a post and lintel for tying horses to. The fenders seem awfully short in the third pics just curious. What's the manufacture of you saddle Rick?

Here's a pic of my favorite saddle but it's a crummy photo. I'm not much of a photographer.
This is a Billy Cook Wade Tree saddle here with Buck Rolls.
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w432/warponysaddlery/BARKLEY1_zps9dd40cf5.jpg

Just Duke
01-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Duke, you are a very, very bad man. I'm liking that basket weave breast collar by Cactus Saddlery. I'm about to need one. A matching headstall, aka Bridle to me would be real nice. That's Tack that will last.

Guy's I got a birthday coming up in 5 months or so, gives you plenty of time to save up,...make a real nice present.

Best

Oh! You mean this one?
You could have this on your horse as soon as Wednesday with PP. ;)

Cactus Saddlery Basket Stamped Browband Headstall Bridles Headstalls

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w432/warponysaddlery/BREAST%20STRAPS/45169e88.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w432/warponysaddlery/BREAST%20STRAPS/af27bf98.jpg

* LEATHER
* HAND BASKET STAMPED
* SCALLOPED CHEEK
* STAINLESS STEEL HARDWARE
* CHICAGO SCREWS
* STOCK NUMBER 40211A

Cactus Saddlery Basket Stamp Tooled Breast Collar 2 3/4" Breast Strap

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w432/warponysaddlery/BREAST%20STRAPS/9916c5ad.jpg

Just Duke
01-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Mexican horses are bred tough, no frills. You probably know that,... they have tough hooves, great in the rocks.

Rick

The AZ desert is filled with horse shoe removers. If I got 1-1/2 months out of a set I was lucky. The Superstition Mountains are rocky and the ground is 3 inches deep in 5/8" volcanic rock that sounds like your walking on Corn Flakes. Cholla's were pretty nasty our way so full length chaps were the only way to go. Your right on the horse though. If I was moving back there I would go with Mustangs this time around.
Do you have an Aremotor on your well?

smokeywolf
01-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Here's my favorite headstall. No fancy stamping, but real convenient.
Combination halter/headstall. The two cheek pieces unsnap from halter so you can just drop the bit out when you stop for lunch.
That's an ooold low port cavalry bit with roper's reins attached.

smokeywolf

Not quite sure why it threw the duplicate image.

Just Duke
01-05-2013, 10:25 PM
That's a bridle. There really expensive and time consuming to make. And a low port grazing Calvary bit. You just need a McClellan saddle and a Light Saber and you would be good to go.
Can you leave me your horse tack your dad made in your will?
I'll trade you a Huge Kabota diesel generator for it all when you get your ranch. Were set up to be stocking dealers. ;)
or or or pretty single girl that cooks really good my wife hangs with.
Just for kicks can you measure how hide the bit is?

smokeywolf
01-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Sorry about my lapse in nomenclature. I always think of them in terms of the individual parts. Your right! Bit and reins attached, it's a bridle.

Don't have a McClellan but I did spend the better part of a couple of days in one once. They look like a torture device but are actually pretty comfortable.
I'm down to two saddles now. The fancy tooled one on Stormy, the grey Quarter Horse Mare in my avatar. And, a partial restoration of an original side saddle that one of my lady friends used to use when we rode parades together.

We'll talk generators when the time comes. And as far as that pretty single girl that cooks, I'm afraid you're gonna have to hang on to her. I already have one of those and she isn't looking for a girl friend.

smokeywolf

Just Duke
01-05-2013, 11:33 PM
We'll talk generators when the time comes.

smokeywolf

Thanks for considering it. I would have choose the generator myself too as they cost less to keep running. ;)
I'll also offer free delivery for one of your Barbecue dinners. ;)

Az Rick
01-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Smokeywolf, that's a slick outfit. I'm afraid that my old horse would be on his knees trying to carry it.

Duke, I'll definitely look when the time comes. Going to need dark oil though.

Just Duke
01-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Smokeywolf, that's a slick outfit. I'm afraid that my old horse would be on his knees trying to carry it.

Duke, I'll definitely look when the time comes. Going to need dark oil though.
We can dip it in the dark oil tank. ;)

smokeywolf
01-07-2013, 05:56 AM
Az Rick, Neither one of my horses really needed a bit. Most of time I just threw a halter on them and a hackamore w/bosal over that. As a matter of fact, that's what's on the Stormy horse in my avatar.
I was playing Range Detective for Newhall Land and Cattle when that pic was taken. That is also about a 35 minute ride from the old "Little House on the Prairie" set.

smokeywolf

Az Rick
01-10-2013, 12:11 AM
Must be cool to have grown up being around all those Cowboy movie stars. My horse don't need much either. I wear roping rowels when I do wear spurs mainly cause my horse looks. They are handy for cues when your in the corral roping calves or sorting cattle. If he thinks you've got them on, he pays attention. I usually just "switch" him with the reins a little if he needs it. If you ride with a hackamore, you got a well trained horse.

Best,

smokeywolf
01-10-2013, 12:47 AM
I used to train horses for the National Park Service. Nothing special, just trail patrol and crowd control at public events. Horses were retired, donated Quarter Horses from the race tracks.
These are the spurs I've always used. Dad wasn't just a gunsmith and saddle maker, but also a silversmith. The little bauble hanging from the rowel pin is called "jingle bob" and makes a nice tinkling sound that frequently makes the horse feel more at ease.

smokeywolf

EdZ KG6UTS
01-10-2013, 01:46 PM
...... traditionally, a man who raises cows is called a "rancher" and a man who raises sheep is called a ........?.

No offense meant to you gentlemen who raise sheep.

smokeywolf

...middle eastern escort service????

EdZ

Az Rick
01-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Smokeywolf, I know jingle bobs. My spurs just rattle, cause they're loose. That is a beautiful set of spurs your Dad made, silver to boot. Chap guards, nice engraving, make sure they get passed down to someone that will appreciate them. He was talented. I'd wear them too if Dad made them.

Best,

429421Cowboy
01-10-2013, 11:16 PM
Makes me start to look forward to our branding time, should do one round in late march then the late calves in May. But first we gotta survive calving! Looking to go below zero tonight blowing snow with 30" expected, tough weather to be a cow, much less a baby calf.
What kinda cows are you running there? We raise straight Black Angus here but i don't think they'd do well in the heat!
Can't beat a hackamore horse, all of our ponies eventually go to one if they stay here long, it just makes for a well rounded and well behaved horse! Thanks for sharing pic's!

smokeywolf
01-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Az Rick, I have 4 sons. With a little luck one of them will have the same feelings for horses as I.

429421Cowboy, Being from Montana, your description of the weather and the cows makes me think of Charlie Russell's painting titled "Waiting for a Chinook"; aka "Last of 5000".

Neither one of my horses could be called a "High School Horse". But, although I wasn't in the habit of riding empty handed, I always used roper's reins, and both could be steered with leg pressure and weight/seat shifting.

smokeywolf

429421Cowboy
01-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Smoky, i grew up not too far from where Russell lived and two winters ago had about the same feeling as he described with that painting, he sure put on canvas what couldn't be put to words!
This winter is shaping up to be a bad one, with no grass from a tough summer and hay prices through the roof i think spring is gonna see some pretty skinny cows coming out of the hills. We were lucky to get plenty of hay with enough to sell as well but not alot of folks were that lucky especially in the drought areas closer to your latitude.

Az Rick
01-12-2013, 12:31 AM
429421 Cowboy, We have Angus, Hereford and Brangus bulls about 30 in all now. We call ours Angus mix, since they are. The Angus cattle seem to do well here but they were born here and come from generations of Arizona bred cattle. It'll in the teens at the Ranch tonight and tomorrow night, then slowly warm up. I be there all next week, putting in an 8700ft. pipeline. We are almost done. The Boss wants to work cattle on Sat. ear tags, preg check, worm, a few new ones to brand. Mostly ground work but maybe some time on horseback cutting, I hope. I'll try and get some pics. Don't have to tell you it gets a little busy though.
Stay warm, post some pics this Spring we'd all like to see them. I'm not always here real regular depending on work, hopefully I'll catch them. Montana is a beautiful place.

Best,

Az Rick
01-12-2013, 01:19 AM
Smokeywolf, That's great. They must still be young. One or more will want them.

Best,