PDA

View Full Version : Pure lead question........

SHMACKITY2K
01-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Curious to know if Either .22 LR ammo or 12 gauge birdshot is made of pure lead. Or close to it.

fcvan
01-02-2013, 10:31 PM
22lr is relatively soft. Bird shot is generally chilled hardened shot to limit deformation during launch. There is a post here listing the amount of tin and antimony added to birdshot for hardness. It mentioned that the is a higher antimony amount as that creates more surface tension so that the shot forms more round before it cools to shape. I've learned some neat stuff from this site!

DIRT Farmer
01-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Bird shot makes great bird shot. 22 lead, depends what you are going to use it for. Round balls for muzzle loading, great for hunting and plinking. Not so much for serious target work. Works well for cast boolits (in my guns) as long as I don't try to set speed records.

MT Chambers
01-02-2013, 11:04 PM
Birdshot is hardened with antimony or patterns would be terrible.

runfiverun
01-02-2013, 11:08 PM
bird shot is kinda all over the map as far as antimony content.
22 lead usually is swaged and comes in around 1.5% antimony
they use arsenic to get the shot to go round. [it is a grain refiner but creates surface tension and that is why it's used]
shot can be from soft lead to 5-6% antimony.
the cheap discount shells use soft shot.
the bigger the shot the less antimony used, hard shot is more prone to bridging in the choke in the larger sizes.
in general...

alfloyd
01-03-2013, 08:13 AM
22 LR slugs have a BHN of 6.5 in all the ones I have tested, over 500 lbs worth.
Pure lead has a BHN of 4.5 to 5.0.
I use 22 LR slugs just like soft/pure lead in all I use it in.

Lafaun

SHMACKITY2K
01-03-2013, 09:10 PM
I was just looking for some really soft lead so that I can slug my barrel. I was curious if one of those 2 sources was soft enough. I was just too lazy to leave my house to buy sinkers. Thanks anyway guys.