PDA

View Full Version : What Did You Do with Your Day Off?

cloakndagger
01-02-2013, 12:23 AM
Well, my one scheduled holiday for the year, and boy did I get some stuff done.
Domesticated chores and cooki g for the family aside,... got my new "antiqued" die box finished, including a shellac job and brass corner hardware.. also made pool ball handles for all my presses... then did 100 38sp reloads for fun.. finaly de primed and delivered 200 rds of 30-06 brass to the media tumbler... then i put off cleaning up until tomorrow....

What all did you get done with your day off?

Jamezius Maximus
01-02-2013, 12:43 AM
I went and tested out some 9mm lee RN cast loads at an outdoor private shooting range. Unfortunately I had a squib load and there is a boolit stuck in my barrell really tight. All in all had a fun day!

Love Life
01-02-2013, 12:57 AM
Prepped some brass and helped my buddy test out his latest batch of home made wine. He lets it age under his bed where the temperature is steady. This batch was apple pie, and it sho' am good!!!

SciFiJim
01-02-2013, 01:06 AM
Had my kids out shooting a few days ago. Today was gun cleaning day. Also helped the wife take down the Christmas tree and decorations.

crabo
01-02-2013, 01:24 AM
I went and tested out some 9mm lee RN cast loads at an outdoor private shooting range. Unfortunately I had a squib load and there is a boolit stuck in my barrell really tight. All in all had a fun day!

That's why you carry a range rod in your bag. You aren't the first by any means...

41 mag fan
01-02-2013, 01:34 AM
Day off?? Heck I've been off for 3 weeks now and got maybe another 4-6 weeks to go!
I did manage to get the ole lady p**sed at me...i'm in the doghouse...so i know where i'm at now!!

hithard
01-02-2013, 02:04 AM
took down Wile E Coyote. Dang those year old pups are easy. First for the year.

OeldeWolf
01-02-2013, 02:11 AM
Well, I must have messed up my blood sugar yesterday, because after the usual foreworks and gunfire at midnight, the gf went to bed but I could not sleep. Oh, there was this big boom about 3 am.. Made her breakfast at 7, took a nap till 1 pm. then took some cookies to a friend's widow, cooked, did laundry, talked with friends, now here.

I needed to do a whole lot more, though

DHurtig
01-02-2013, 03:12 AM
Did a few house hold chores. Finished prepping and priming 200 plus rounds of 7 mag brass. Hope to get it loaded tomorrow. Watched a little TV and played a free roll poker tournament tonight. Dale

marlin39a
01-02-2013, 07:37 AM
I got bored, so I went to work.

missionary5155
01-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Howdy
Took out the 1873 2nd model 44-40 to the cold wind and fired off 21 rounds. Range report in the Leverguns threads. Had to sit in the car (facing into the sun) to thaw out off and on (hands) but it was fun. That old heavy barrel shoots fine with 13 grains 2400. Went home swept/shoveled some snow and reloaded those fireformed brass with 13 grains 2400 for another venture soon.
Mike in ILL

fishnbob
01-02-2013, 08:00 AM

Put a little Kroil down the barrel and let it set for a few hours and then knock her out!

Pb2au
01-02-2013, 08:01 AM
Had lunch with some friends, got home and discovered the battery in my wife's TDI Beetle had died so I spent the rest of the late afternoon dealing with Advance Automotive, trying to convince them that their "Gold" level battery we purchased from them last year was really dead and defective......
Oh, well, we got it sorted out and all is well now!

slim1836
01-02-2013, 08:04 AM
I got bored, so I went to work.

I NEVER GET THAT BORED.

Slim

WILCO
01-02-2013, 08:06 AM
Listened to some episodes of Gunsmoke. Worked around the house. Made some phone calls. Watched X-files on Netflix, Ran a snake down a drain, fought with the washing machine, finished off the breakfast pizza, napped. Not much going on. Just a quiet day............

largom
01-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Went to a gun auction and watched bidders pay ridiculous prices for ammo. One man paid $80.00 for 700 rounds of 22 long rifle.

Larry

jmsj
01-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Lazed around quite a bit(up way too late night before), barn chores, moved some snow, watched some TV, did a lot of research on the history of the 1911. Trying to get all the changes and date of changes straight for a repo prewar 1911 NM project for a guy. Found this article interesting-http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=386144

Doc_Stihl
01-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Sized and lubed 600 boolits new years eve, Loaded 600 rounds new years day.
Played with the kids.
Lazy day.

drklynoon
01-02-2013, 09:31 AM
I had a productive first. Cleaned and counted a 1000 9mm and a 1000 .40's. Loaded 200 .45 acp's. Took down the tree. Picked up around the shop. Well maybe not as productive as I thought LOL. Today I'm gonna work on my FR8's stock some and see were I stand on .308's.

Shooter
01-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Went to Sportsmans Warehouse to buy some brass. Found the re-loading section ravished with no brass except 7 Mag, .45-70, and .32-20.
Had them check stock with no luck. Finally bought a box of loaded ammo as stock was low there too.
There were a dozen people at the gun counter, the panic continues.
Now I have to decide whether to pull the J-word bullets, or just shoot them.

school of mines
01-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Been busy moving my reloading room. Funny how the items add up over time! Built a new bench and storage shelves and am still running out of room!

Bullshop
01-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Wanting to set the pace for the new year 1/1/13 I went coyote hunting. First visite of the morning was to a road kill site where they had been feeding. Sure enough a pair was on site. They winded me and headed out across a big flat as I went prone on a mound just high enough I could see over the weeds.
I was shooting a newly rebarreled 25/06 with 100gn bullets starting at 3300 fps.
My scope is a 30 year old Leaupold with duplex but I sight in a bit different for winter coyote hunting.
I set the top of the duplex to hit about a inch high at 100 yards, and with this load the cross hair zeroes at about 380 yards and the bottom duplex will drop in to zero just a bit over 500 yards.
Anyways the lead a big male dog was quickly out of range at about 800 yards but kept looking back so I figured his friend would pop up somewhere near. Sure enough she materialised at about 500 yards.
I held the cross hair right at the top of her shoulder and just as I touched off thought DUMBY!!! wrong hold. I saw the bullet hit the snow dead center right under her belly right exactly where the bottom duplex had been. STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!!
They kicked on the after burners and lit out for an area I investigated las t fall. Went home and instructed the Misus to drop me off in the drainage they headed for and at dark pick me up at another ten miles away. We often did this when we first married 24 years ago but she felt at 57 I may be too old to continue this foolishness. BAAA!!! you just be there at dark is my standard reply.
Anyways she dropped me off and no sooner did I cross the RR tracks to follow a tight coolie up to the foot hills did I see a lone dog flickering through the sage about 500 yards out. I didnt think he saw me but he heard the PU stop when the Misus dropped me off.
I got to a fence post but the hold didnt seem right. I thought maybe I should give a couple squeeks but instead since he didnt see me I would let him go and try to set up an ambush at a good place I had found.
I quickly and quietly made my way up the cooly to a place where there was a stock pond that the earth dam had washed out and so left a deep cut in the bank to sneak through and come out at a perfect ambush site with panoramic view of the sprawling hills.
No sooner did I begin to employ my 10x Swarofski bino that I caught a flicker of movement on a hill 400 yards distant. It was the lone song dog setting up to watch his back trail. This time I would not forget my sight araingment. From my ditch hide standing and resting on the cut bank I had a rock solid rest.
Holdint the cross hair just high and forward of the center of his body I touched off the shot.
Through the scope I saw the solid hit and the coyote tumbling down a steep cooly and out of sight.
Making my way to his ambush site I found the spot and could see where the bullet had hit leaving the red fan of evidence on the snow. Looking down the deep cooly I could see him piled up. He never took a step but just went end over end down the steep bank. A perfect shot right where the cross hair rested, he never heard it comming. Another big male dog for the streacher and the first for the new year. Lashed him to the nearest fence post since there are not too many trees here and skinned him out. Rolled up the hide and tied it and fascened a loop for a carry strap and over my shoulder one on our way to the distant randevoue point with the Misus at dark.
Didnt see any more coyotes for the day but went through some beautiful country and saw prolly better than 100 deer mostly mule. A couple nice 4x4 bucks are now earmarked for next deer season.
All in all a great first of the year!
Oh yea and about being too old for this stuff my ride was late and I didnt want to sit in the cold so I kept walking made about 3 miles farther down the road than where the pick up point should have been.
Too old indeed!!! Haaaa!!!

bosterr
01-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Well, not to rub it in, but my last day at the gas company was Monday. RETIRED!!! EVERY DAY NOW IS MY DAY OFF!!! I've been on and off Cast Boolits all day so far, but I told my girlfriend (she's at work, God bless her!) that I was going to start cleaning up the basement, starting at the loading bench and work my way out from there. Here it is almost 2 PM and haven't got there yet! I got my new 20 LED 110v light from Amazon to light up my Lyman 20 pounder so I can cast some 400 gr. 50's for my 50 B&M Alaskan Encore pistol tomorrow. Here in western Pa. there's about a foot of snow on the ground, so too much to go muzzleloader hunting. Doing a lot of pacing around and looking out the window. This retirement thing might take a little getting used to. Cabin fever is getting the best of me already. Can't wait for spring to get here!

km101
01-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Well I'm retired now, so every day is a day off. But on New Year's Day I cast over 800 .358 bullets and lubed about 200 of them. Then reloaded 100 rounds of .38 sok, wutg sine if tge bykkets. All in all, a real productive day. Did everyone have thier black-eyed peas on New Years?

MT Gianni
01-02-2013, 03:27 PM
I still have my walking boot on so about two more weeks of days off. I loaded 222 and 32 Long for a trip back to the 1930's.

Ed Barrett
01-02-2013, 09:10 PM
When you are retired you just never get a day off. I have to do the things you guys do on your day off every day. It's hard but I'm getting used to it after 10 years.

DIRT Farmer
01-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Well I am simi retired, Just the oil wells and check the cattle, then head to the swamp and go hunting the rest of the day. I got a call before I got the wells checked that a grave needed dug, so load the back hoe and off. Had the grave almost finished and got a coroner's call, went and did the death investigation. Came back finished the grave, fed the dogs and called it a day. Got the cattle fed today, grave closed and checked the wells. This simi retired thing may require an assistant.

1Shirt
01-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Ya know, since I am fully retired (supposedly), I am not sure if I ever do really have a day off. Seems like all my days are full of something or other. Makes me wonder how I had time to work util I was 65. And here I am on the durn computer, when I should be casting, or lubing, or priming, or-----------
1Shirt!