PDA

View Full Version : New article

Jim
01-01-2013, 09:00 PM
I've written an article entitled "DEVELOPING SUBSONIC LOADS FOR CENTERFIRE RIFLES (http://floydpics.wordpress.com/developing-subsonic-loads-for-centerfire-rifles/)".

I'd really appreciate some feedback on this, positive or negative.

Thanks, fellas.

Sweetpea
01-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Great write-up Jim!

Keep em coming!

nhrifle
01-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Nice write up Jim! That's pretty much my procedure for load development, and how I arrived at my data for the Blackout. I'm still stumbling thru sub loadings fro that caliber but I will get there.

Olevern
01-01-2013, 11:26 PM
good stuff. there.

plmitch
01-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Nice work there Jim.

ph4570
01-01-2013, 11:39 PM
Looks good to me.

Artful
01-02-2013, 12:30 AM
Nice article - good work

DHurtig
01-02-2013, 03:25 AM
Enjoyed the article, but would love to see all your results published, group size, velocity and volume of the report. Been thing about doing the same thing for 30-30, 45-70 and 357. keep it coming, Dale

Blacksmith
01-02-2013, 04:45 AM
Jim
What is the mold number for the spitzer cast boolits and was that the same one used in your article on Target Rifles .223 & Cast 'Boolits'.

By the way Midsouth Shooters still lists the .22 Bator mold in both 2 & 6 cavity currently out of stock expected in May 2013.
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000622BATOR

Jim
01-02-2013, 08:34 AM
DHurtig, The targets can be found in "TARGET FILES" on my site. Across the top of the home page is a list of page links by title.

I don't own a chrony as I've never been concerned about velocity, only accuracy. As for volume of report, that would require a sound meter. Considering the finances required to obtain such, I think it would be senseless to spend that kind of money as different people will sense volume differently.

Blacksmith, Yes, the flat point spitzer is the same boolit used in shooting the targets in "TARGET FILES". In the notes on that page, I credited X101Airborne, a member here, with supplying the boolits for the testing. He's going to send me the nomenclature on the mold so I can post that information. Concerning the Bator boolit, I have that mold.

Thank you all for your responses. I very much appreciate the compliments and suggestions.

Mike in TX
01-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Very good Jim. Will have to try it when I have a free day.

Mike B

Echo
01-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Good technique and procedure, Jim. I enjoyed reading...

Idaho Mule
01-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Good job Jim, that was very informative. You went to a lot of work and recorded it well, thanks. JW

bakrzdzn
01-02-2013, 10:26 PM
+1 Jim. Thanks for the work you put into this. I can think of a few places where this type of load would be applicable. I know someone that wanted to use a heavier projectile in the .30 carbine, to make it subsonic, but don't know how far he got. This project of yours make for a great starting point.

Jim
01-02-2013, 11:08 PM
+1 Jim. Thanks for the work you put into this. I can think of a few places where this type of load would be applicable. I know someone that wanted to use a heavier projectile in the .30 carbine, to make it subsonic, but don't know how far he got. This project of yours make for a great starting point.

I did shoot some Lee 309-230-5Rs from my .308 with reduced charges and I have the target in my files. The .308 has a lot more capacity than the .30 Carbine, but my procedure can be used to find a starting point for that cartridge.

I just got in from 'coon huntin' and it's late. I'll dig it up in the mornin' and post it for ya'.

blackthorn
01-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Jim—I just finished reading your excellent article. “Developing subsonic loads for centerfire rifles”, great job! I tried to leave my comment on your site but it would not accept our “E” mail as valid, so (for what it is worth) here it is. My last job before retirement involved a great deal of “proof reading” the work of my colleagues and it has left me with an eye that automatically picks up anomalies in articles such as yours. I do not mean to be picky but I saw what I assume to be an anomaly in your article (as set out below). Have a great day and keep those articles coming!

Ralph (Blackthorn).
LOADING PROCEDURE
Knowing that I would be shooting different groups of test loads, I knew it would be critical to keep track of the various individual loads and groups of loads. I needed a method of doing this to insure I would not get the different cartridges mixed up. I decided it would be best to mark each cartridge individually with a specific identifying nomenclature.

55 grain cast bullet over 2.6 grains of Red Dot powder.
I could differentiate between the bullets by mere appearance. But I needed some method of differentiating between powder types and charges. That’s not something that can be determined once the round is loaded.
I marked each cartridge as it was loaded with the weight of the charge and a letter or two that would tell me what powder I used. For example, a load of 3.5 grains of Bullseye powder would be marked “3.5 BE”. If I happened to turn over the cartridge container, I could still sort them out. This also allowed me to put all the test ammunition in one container.
Prior to loading the cartridge cases, I marked all of them with the nomenclature using a Sharpie marker. The marked cases were then placed in a loading block in groups. I loaded all the cartridges and returned them to the loading block as originally organized. The loaded cartridges were then transferred to a plastic ammunition box with a ‘snap’ lid and transported to the shooting range.
I also loaded five rounds of ‘fouling shot’ ammo. I used the same powder I was loading the test ammo with and a charge of about halfway between the minimum and maximum of the test loads. This enabled me to foul the barrel and get it ready for the testing with (JIM---DID YOU MEAN TO USE “WITHOUT” HERE???) having to use the actual test ammo. These fouling loads were fired at the berm with no purpose other than fouling the barrel.
TESTING PROCEDURE

Jim
01-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Good sharp eye, Blackthorn. Thank you, I'll correct that.

gbrown
01-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Very interesting write-up. I especially liked the way you established your test criteria so it can be duplicated by others. Like the old "Scientific Method." An old friend and I started loading up some for 30-06 and 30/30 some 30 years ago so our kids and grandkids could shoot our rifles without the recoil. We used Unique and 180 grain boolits. Lots of fun. One of these days I'll chronograph them to see what they go at. I still shoot some in my Contender carbine in 30/30.

1Shirt
01-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Nice article Jim. I have off and on played with reduced loads in a number of rifles and handguns, and always enjoy hearing about how others do the same. I have also done a number of loadings of roundball loads in both rifle and handgun, some single and others multiple ball loads. If you haven't tried them you could be missing a lot of fun, as they are usually quite accurate to 25 yds, and make good plinkers, they are quiet, and in some of the 30 cals might make a decent coon load for you. Keep up the good work. I enjoy your threads.
1Shirt!

P.K.
01-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Good read Jim, as always worth the time and a nice addition to anyones reading list. Along with the Lead Sled that you opined about you could add the Solo as well. An addition to the sled line to accomodate us .223/5.56 self loading magazine types. ;-)

57484:drinks:

Cariboo
01-03-2013, 05:23 PM
awesome job Jim