PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from San Diego

zadeda
01-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Looking to get into casting here on the left coast, have not purchased molds or anything else yet.....doing the research first. Was wondering if we have any casters in the San Diego area. Planning to begin with 45-70 first.

MtGun44
01-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Welcome. Ex CA native here, used to really like SD, sure is different these
days, sometimes I think I'm in LA. Used to body surf/belly board, hike around
Palomar, shoot out in desert west of Ocotillo, hike and camp in Anza Borrego,
not recently. Probably get arrested shooting in the desert now days.

.45-70 is a good place to start. Plinking or hunting loads? What gun?

Bill

zadeda
01-01-2013, 07:28 PM
I actually am in Alpine Ca. Looking to cast both plinking and hunting for my Marlin 1895.

koehn,jim
01-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Welcome aboard not in San Diego farther north San Fernando valley.

runfiverun
01-01-2013, 09:58 PM
i'd plan on a lead source before i made plans on what stuff i was gonna buy.

Olevern
01-01-2013, 10:11 PM
do they let you handle lead there in commyfornia? Anyways, greetings and welcome. Pull up a chair and set awhile. We aren't all as bad as Feinstein thinks we are.

Beau Cassidy
01-01-2013, 10:50 PM
There are several people on here from Southern Californiastan. I used to go to San Diego quite a bit as my then ladyfriend moved out there on me from TN. I spent a year and half flying out there every 3 weeks from TN. I called it off when I realized I wasn't gonna marry her. Boy I sure do miss Oggie's Pizza and The Hash House Restaurant!

Mal Paso
01-01-2013, 11:01 PM
i'd plan on a lead source before i made plans on what stuff i was gonna buy.

Buy wheel weights in Mexicali, melt em down, and smuggle them across the border as fishing weights. Hell, half the fun of a San Diego BBQ usta be smuggling it in from Mexico.

zadeda
01-01-2013, 11:04 PM
do they let you handle lead there in commyfornia? Anyways, greetings and welcome. Pull up a chair and set awhile. We aren't all as bad as Feinstein thinks we are.

Feinstein has no clue, all she knows is corruption. She thinks we are all too stupid to know anything.

plmitch
01-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Welcome from the Bay Area.

MtGun44
01-02-2013, 02:02 AM
RCBS 405 GC mold is hard to beat for accy and is a good choice for hunting. A bit heavy
for plinking - wastes lead - but would work fine at about 12-14 gr of Unique. My hunting load
is a heavy load of W748 ignited with a mag primer. Really accurate, produces about 1750 fps
but is only at trapdoor pressures, nice and safe load. This is in a Marlin Guide Gun.

Bill

OeldeWolf
01-02-2013, 02:14 AM
I would also say that your lead source is your biggest concern, and will become your biggest expense overall.

farmallcrew
01-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Welcome to the best group online!!!!!!!

opos
01-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Hi, Neighbor...I live in San Diego (Tijuana Norte)...not a caster but a lead projectile loader (Buy ready mades...got really bad lungs so don't roll my own)...I wouldn't try to bring anything back from Mexico...used to be fun..now it's deadly. Also be really careful to check about shooting areas in East County...lots of it is close to the border and being along the border with a firearm unless you know exactly where you are and what's ok...can lead to a very bad experience. We have an older SUV with tinted windows...were out by Campo just puttering around after visiting some friends...all of a sudden one Border Patrol car behind us...then 2..then we crested a hill and there was #3 with the road blocked and had his shotgun out of the rack in his lap...we are just 2 old fogies..they said we looked lost or "up to something"...couldn't understand a couple of seniors just taking a drive...glad we had no guns in the car.

zadeda
01-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Hi, Neighbor...I live in San Diego (Tijuana Norte)...not a caster but a lead projectile loader (Buy ready mades...got really bad lungs so don't roll my own)...I wouldn't try to bring anything back from Mexico...used to be fun..now it's deadly. Also be really careful to check about shooting areas in East County...lots of it is close to the border and being along the border with a firearm unless you know exactly where you are and what's ok...can lead to a very bad experience. We have an older SUV with tinted windows...were out by Campo just puttering around after visiting some friends...all of a sudden one Border Patrol car behind us...then 2..then we crested a hill and there was #3 with the road blocked and had his shotgun out of the rack in his lap...we are just 2 old fogies..they said we looked lost or "up to something"...couldn't understand a couple of seniors just taking a drive...glad we had no guns in the car.

I have been loading and shooting here in east county for years.....do most my shooting on private property east of Alpine, I don't go to close to the border.

Jon K
01-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Welcome zadeda,

Maybe Baja Traveler will chime in here. He's fairly close to you. He shoots at Pala & So Bay R&G.

BPCRS match @Pala Saturday. Check website: ncaspala.com for other events levergun, etc.

Jon

Baja_Traveler
01-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Shoot me a PM - maybe we can meet at my place on a free weekend (Clairemont, above Mission Bay) and you can cast some 330gr Gibbs for your Marlin. I use this boolit in my 200 yard chicken load for BPCR silhouette and it is very accurate - would make a great hunting round also...

firefly1957
01-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Welcome to Castboolits a lot of good people here but please allow us are kidding of those out there and do not get to bent out of joint over it. I cast here in Michigan the only mold i use in my Springfield model 1884 is Lee 405 HB over size as the gun has a .461 groove depth.
A couple of warnings for you When you get 25 post and 30 days in here the PIT will open If you need blood pressure meds take them before opening politics and religion and no eating or drinking in humor and off topic we do not clean keyboards or monitors if you ignore this!

starmac
01-02-2013, 09:42 PM
I have been loading and shooting here in east county for years.....do most my shooting on private property east of Alpine, I don't go to close to the border.

If you guys can't go too close to the border, that is about the same as the border is moving closer to you isn't it.

zadeda
01-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Shoot me a PM - maybe we can meet at my place on a free weekend (Clairemont, above Mission Bay) and you can cast some 330gr Gibbs for your Marlin. I use this boolit in my 200 yard chicken load for BPCR silhouette and it is very accurate - would make a great hunting round also...

Thanks... Sounds great to me I will PM you.