PDA

View Full Version : Funny how things work

whisler
07-03-2007, 11:37 PM
When I first found this forum a few months back, I thought "I'll have to start casting again (had only cast RB for muzzle-loaders & some .38 SWC) Called a few places that I deal with and asked about WW's. Was told that one place already had several customers casting "sinkers". Another place said I could have them but in 3 months they haven't had any (?)

Then I talked to a friend who's son scraps out cars and his son said he gets a few that he could sell. First batch was about 40# - no charge. Later he calls and says he has some lead but this time there will be a charge. This came out of an old fellows garage and and he said consisted of round ingots, and also included 2 small cast iron pots with lips and handles, some already cast boolets (.429 and .357 by my mike), and some molds. They turned to be old sinker molds. Price was $40 for 160# of lead and pots.

I gave the old sinker molds to a friend who fishes - a lot. He gave me a 3 sets of dies (.45, 9mm, and 30-06) and an old green press marked RCBS JR3 (don't recognize this one)

Then I met a guy through work (Home Depot) who's dad runs an auto junk yard. "Do you take the ww's off the wheels?" "Yep, they just pile up and get in the way" "I'll take them off your hands" "OK" (70# - no charge).

Today I met a guy at work who says he gets lead all the time & can't hardly find anyone interested but the scrap yard. Said he usually gets 4-500# at a time. I gave him my name and phone #. We'll see what happens.

From a very discouraging beginning, things are looking up. I feel very blessed so far.

Buckshot
07-04-2007, 01:38 AM
.............That's the way it works. Once you're into it you become more atuned to it's possible location (or something like that :-). Also called networking. Tell your friends, besides just your shooting buddies. Post a notice on your range's bulliten board if they have one.

..............Buckshot

dubber123
07-04-2007, 01:39 AM
Sounds good, actually great for just re-entering casting. I have been doing this for a while now, and I can say you are picking up better deals than me lately. Get all you can, it doesn't go bad!

whisler
07-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Dubber123: That's what I thought, it doesn't go bad and it doesn't eat anything.

Buckshot: I never thought about posting a notice at the range, thanks.