PDA

View Full Version : Lee slug shoots HIGH!!

wwboolitmaker
01-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Ok guys need someone to shed some light on this for me. I took a box of federal 7 1/2 12 gauge 2 3/4 lead loads and opened the crimp and dumped the shot out. Put them in my casting pot and turned them into some lee 1 ounce slugs. Put the slug back in the shell and recrimped and sized. Everything looks good and chambers well but don't shoot the best. It is shooting a foot high and a little right at about 20 yards. Why is that the case??

1Shirt
01-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Possibly not centered, possibly a poor cast, I wouldn't worry about it, as long as it is consistant, if so you can adjust accordingly.
1Shirt!

I'll Make Mine
01-01-2013, 12:28 PM
I presume you've fired slugs from this gun before and know where those other slugs shot? If not, it's probably a case of simply aiming high, by a margin that's hard to spot with a shot pattern. What kind of sights (aiming high without realizing it is easy to do with traditional shotgun beads)? Have you had the comb fitted (too high a comb will raise your eye, and cause you to shoot high)? What if any choke does the barrel have? A choke that's swelling unevenly as the slug passes (say, due to restriction from the rib) might equate to a flexing barrel and cast the slug higher than a shot pattern.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-01-2013, 12:33 PM
i have come across a few shot gun barrels that shot off , mainly smooth bores , which i presume this is

i have heard some say they try to bend them back slightly , i have never tried that nor to i want to try

but if they are consistent the use of adjustable sight that mount to the vent rib work fine

my brother has one that shoots a foot low at 25 yards , with sights he made it work

wwboolitmaker
01-02-2013, 05:55 PM
It is a smoothbore stevens. Its a seven round open choke barrel with just a bead. I have shot this gun with other loads that shoot lower. I was thinking about just adding a sight and adjusting to this load, as i can make 25 slugs for 6.50. Its a cheap gun that isnt good for much so i think i am gonna set it up for this load and this load only. Thanks for the input guys.

turmech
01-02-2013, 07:05 PM
I have not tried the lee slugs at the velocity you are using (field load shells should be around 1200 fps), but IIRC those who do experience them shooting high. When pushed faster (around 1400 they hit more POA). Post this question in casting for shotguns and those who load the lee slugs with say red dot I think will confirm this.

wwboolitmaker
01-02-2013, 07:24 PM
I have not tried the lee slugs at the velocity you are using (field load shells should be around 1200 fps), but IIRC those who do experience them shooting high. When pushed faster (around 1400 they hit more POA). Post this question in casting for shotguns and those who load the lee slugs with say red dot I think will confirm this.

Thats what I was fishing for. I have heard that faster velocities will bring the poi down.