PDA

View Full Version : Where do you folks get your molds, gas checks, casting supplies from?

wildchild2010
01-01-2013, 12:30 AM
I am just getting started in the casting for the 45LC. Looking at what kind of melting pot to go with, molds looking at the Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold 452-300-RF 45 Colt, Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold 452-300-RF 45 Colt an looking at the Lee .452 sizing dies. Just looking at something for a starting point an am I better off going with the Lee 2 cavity molds VS the 6 cavity molds for starting out or just go with the 6 cavity. Also are the Lee sizing dies worth it. Gas check you use the Horandy or another brand, and are all gas checks made the same?

Thanks

nvbirdman
01-01-2013, 12:42 AM
If you're starting out, go for the two cavity mould, the Lee sizing die will work good, and you should probably start out with a plain base mould.

Russ in WY
01-01-2013, 12:48 AM
For the new stuff Midway /Midsouth & Graf's or where ever the best price is . Get a lot of Goodies right here on this site . Just have to be quick when things are posted , kinda the Luck of the Draw , so -2-speak . Timing is the Key, most of the time ...This place has cost Me a few Bucks over time , but have rarely been disappointed . Just hang out and keep watch ... My 2¢, Russ.

wildchild2010
01-01-2013, 12:56 AM
What type of melting pots are you folks using an lube. I the Lee lube OK.

Thanks

retread
01-01-2013, 01:00 AM
I have a Let 20 lb. bottom pour and like it for the price.

retread
01-01-2013, 01:01 AM
OOPs. Typo that is Lee

retread
01-01-2013, 01:04 AM
As far as the molds are concerned I would go 2 cavity Lyman or the new style Lee. I have had galling probens with the 6 cavity Lee. Both the mold block and sprue are aluminum. Even though the sprue plate is anodized it wants to gall if not contuiously lubed.

Wolfer
01-01-2013, 01:06 AM
I don't know how hot your planning on loading but my ruger NV doesn't do very well with the lee 452-300 RF. I only run it to about 850 fps. I believe this boolit works best at higher velocity.
Your mileage may vary!

I use all of the previous posted places plus Titan reloading

Twstanley
01-01-2013, 08:28 AM
I use Titan reloading for all my lee stuff, good prices, no handling fee and quick!

Gas checks i get from here or flebay, and supplies ( lube, lead, etc) .... Titan for lee lube, lead from local tire shops...or buy ingots here.

marlin39a
01-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Midway or Grafs on new molds. I look on craigslist (Local only)for reloading supplies, and hit it good now and then. Ebay used to be a good source. Lately guys have been way too much up there. Bargain table at local gun shop can produce a good buy also. Gun shows are hit or miss.

Boondocker
01-01-2013, 09:12 AM
When I wanted to get started, I put an ad in the local free ads paper for used bullet and sinker casting gear. The first week I had a guy
call me from 5 miles away to come take a look. He got out of it as for no time and thought he would never find a like minded shooter.
I got 2 electric pots, ingot molds,dipper, marvulex flux( dont like) 38 and 44 molds. 40 lbs lino and 150 pounds lead. And some needed lessons
in casting for the paltry price of 125.00. What you don't need is swapping material. A lot of folks have this stuff and know of no market and no desire to sell it unless
prodded as some is inherited or just forgotten about till reminded. Oh I almost forgot I got the Lee single stage press withe 38 and 44 dies and 41 mag dies.also in the deal.
Probably the best deal I ever got besides a Remington Lee rifle in 30-40 for 100.00

1Shirt
01-01-2013, 12:32 PM
I buy where I get the best price for what I want, often lately, that seems to be GRAF. Have also made some good purchases on e-bay.
1Shirt!

RobS
01-01-2013, 01:00 PM
You have good info. regards to where to buy things so........

If you are going with a Lee two cavity mold I would call Lee directly and see if they have their new mold design going out the door in your desired mold. The new style two cavity molds are being made with better aluminum (2024) I believe and Lee is going to a normal alignment pin design vs their old bar alignment pin fiasco. They may be a bit more expensive vs. online retailers but the mold will be worth it. The Lee 452-255-RF has been a good design for most and is a plain base (PB) design. This one can double up as a practice plinker boolit and can also be used for hunting. The Lee 20# bottom pour pot is hard to beat for the price and if you keep it clean (do not smelt your scrap lead or wheel weights [WW's] in the casting pot) the pot works very well. The Lee 452-300-RF is a good design too and where as it does have a gas check (GC) and adds to the cost of each boolit a gc does make it easier to find accuracy and can cover up any issues you are having regards to lube, boolit fit and reloading practices. If you plan on using a tumble lube (TL) then the gc will help you out. You may look into the lube section regards to a 45-45-10 TL mixture that was made up by one of our members here Recluse. There is a quite a bit of info to learn as you go which can be half the fun or half the frustration.

What 45 colt are you loading for and have you checked out (measured/slugged) the cylinder throats and bore diameters? If you are loading for a SAA 45 Colt then I would go with the 255 grain class boolit however if you are loading for a full size Ruger 45 Colt Blackhawk or Redhawk then it depends on what your intent is I suppose.

MT Gianni
01-01-2013, 08:06 PM
I don't think you can push the Lee 300 gr boolit hard enough in a 45 revolver to require the gas check. It does not shoot as well with out it so it is a wasted cost. I would look at a 255 rf if you are sold on a Lee mold. Get a 2 cavity until you know how it does.

runfiverun
01-01-2013, 08:21 PM
if you lube the top of an aluminum mold it prevents the galling from the sprue plate.

casting is just like building a car, the faster you wanna go the more it costs.
specialized equipment costs even more but has a higher quality [and generally a lower frustration level]
i started out with a lee 20 lb pot and lyman molds for the most part.
i wouldn't hesitate to buy an rcbs mold at anytime [and especially right now]
yeah they are more for a 2 cavity than a lee 6 cavity,i have those same molds i bought when i first started and they still make quality boolits.
i have a couple of lymans that i have about worn the inside faces smooth from casting with them.
i just run a lap in the cavitys of my first 452664 mold after over 25 years of use and untold boolits being cast in it [i had it converted to my master caster when i bought my 4 cav mold]
i cleaned it up about a thousandth and put it back to work.

Chicken Thief
01-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Does the old term:

Beg, steal, borrow or by.

Ring a bell?

I'll do all of the above if the odds are right.

Pb2au
01-01-2013, 10:11 PM
I buy my stuff from various soureces;
midway USA, graffs, gun shows (with caution mind you, you can get hijacked there so watch out), craigslist sometimes, and at flea markets.
I run a lot of Lee gear, but I absolutely will not knock on the other brands. It has been my experience so far that I get a decent value for the price I pay for most of Lee's products. That being said, Lee's molds have a learning curve that can get irritating, but fear not, there is a mountain of information here to get you making good boolits from Lee molds that shoot just fine.
That being said, my primary melting pot is a older Lyman that you couldn't pay me enough to part with. That thing just works like a dream.
So be patient, research as much as you can here, it is a veritable wikipedia of casting/reloading.
Good luck,

Wolfer
01-01-2013, 10:56 PM
The Lee 452-255-RF is the most accurate boolit I've shot out of my new Vaq and I have a good many molds. I push it to 970 fps with 8.8 gr unique. I've killed several deer and one coyote with this boolit along with several grouse, rabbets, possums etc but my favorite deer hunting boolit is a Lyman 452-424 as it leaves a better wound channel.
We still don't know what kind of gun or what your intentions are. This info sometimes makes a difference!

root
01-01-2013, 11:04 PM
all great info.

I to hit fleamarkets and midway also buy from midway.

Don't know it it's still valid but RCBS had a rebate for spending X amount. And I have some not all of their stuff.

My casting and reloading is like skittles it's the color of the rainbow. Green and blue being the presses. Also Like others here I make alot of my tools to shorten my headaches and speed things up.

I also cast in volume since I run IDPA and 3 gun along with NFA stuff. Quality 1st Speed 2nd.

That's how I ROLL...!

Wolfer
01-01-2013, 11:07 PM
What type of melting pots are you folks using an lube. I the Lee lube OK.

Thanks
In the 45 colt any lube that's soft and squishy will work just fine.
I use the lee sizer and dip my boolits in the lube up to the lube grove. For a long time I mixed a Johnny bowl ring with a cake of parrifin. Worked great.
Lately I've been using a mixture of beeswax and a wound salve for my horses, works good but no better than my old lube.

RoyEllis
01-05-2013, 06:51 PM
I use Titan reloading for all my lee stuff, good prices, no handling fee and quick!

Just got some things from Titan & I have to 2nd this!! Great service and communication, I'll definately use them again

Ole
01-05-2013, 07:48 PM
I normally go with Grafs first. They don't charge for shipping and they are a site sponsor. Midway is my second choice if Grafs doesn't have it or if their price is out of whack. [smilie=f:

Willbird
01-05-2013, 08:24 PM
I have cast thousands and thousands of bullets from the same Lee six cavity mold. They are a far better mold IMHO than the 2 cavity.

Fan of the 1911
01-05-2013, 09:27 PM
I started with Lee, still have some good stuff. Have upgraded from Lee to green and blue on a few things, still have lots of Lee.

I started with a lee 2 cavity mould, it will make lots of good boolits. I like lee sizers, don't realy care for tumble lube, I do like alox.

I'm starting to get more serious about casting, and things related to accuracy with a pistol.

Good luck with your casting, it will make you crazy, but in a good way.

William.