PDA

View Full Version : What weight range do you consider acceptable ?

XTR
12-31-2012, 05:22 PM
For bullets cast at ~400 gr what is an acceptable range? ± 1gr? ±1.5gr? Less, More?

Doc_Stihl
12-31-2012, 05:36 PM
A clean full base devoid of imperfections by the naked eye gets it done most of the time for me.

When I weight sort for a match bullet, a bullet I plan to shoot for compettition, this is how I do it. Visual culls get tossed aside to start.

When I do weight sort I usually setup 5 ammo trays to sort into. I usually sort them into groups of -/+.25
This usually gives me a fairly large group in the middle tray and equal parts on either side. The last 200 bullets I sorted for weight I think I pulled 6 out of the batch that were under weight for the 300gr bullets that they were. Only 1 grossly under weight.

So the simple answer, I sort to .5gr groups.

RobS
12-31-2012, 05:48 PM
Rifle or Revolver??? Longer range rifle work I tend to keep things a tenth of a grain one way or the other. Handguns, pistols or revolvers, should the boolits be filled out well and don't have imperfections they are good to go.

John Boy
12-31-2012, 05:51 PM
I am a BPCR match shooter at the 500m sillouttes and 700 - 1000yd target. I too sort at half grain variances. A 1gr bullet outside the half grain variance at 1000yds compared to others within, needs approximately an additional 4 MOA sight adjustment.
For bullets on the extreme of the bell curve, I use them for practice

1Shirt
12-31-2012, 06:57 PM
If it passes visual w/clean sharp base, shoot it!
1Shirt!

XTR
12-31-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm casting ~400 grain PP bullets for my 45-70. I'm using a 2 chamber Accurate mold. I modified an existing design, Tom has it on his site now as a 45-400Q, it's a nominal .450 with a .300 meplat for hunting.

I need to put a clock with a second hand on the wall to regulate my casting rate, with the 2 chamber mold it was very easy to start getting frosted bullets in the second chamber. I made about 100 bullets this afternoon, I tossed anything with any frost in the pot, I weighed all the bullets and tossed anything too light in the pot. What I ended up with was about 100 bullets at about 398.25gr ±0.75. This is a hunting load so I'm not really concerned about what it will do at 1000 yards, I've got a single chamber money bullet for that that I'll play with later.

Getting the rate down is something I need to work on. I am using a Waage pot, I started at about 740, decided that I was too hot and ended up casting at about 680 or 690. The lower temperature seemed to work better. Like I said, I need a clock on the wall, I'd cast about three pours before I'd get a frosted bullet in the second chamber, when that happened I'd weigh what I had casted and cast again. This is my first try, I'm thinking not too bad over all. I am finding that my bullets with this alloy (which is hard) are coming out at 454 and not at 450. I'll need to size them, and I'll be interested to see how they come out with a softer alloy.

RobS
01-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Assuming you are using an alloy with antimony; as the lead % increases/antimony % decreases the size of the boolit will decrease.