PDA

View Full Version : I cain't stands it no more.....

badgeredd
12-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Pardon me while I post a small rant.

It seems to me that there are a lot of individuals here lately asking for loads for their chosen powder/boolit combination. I understand fully that a fellow may have a problem firearm and may need some help. What I also understand is there are a significant number of people who require instant gratification and response to THEIR question. It seems to me that if one is going to hand load, they NEED to take the time to learn the basics, they NEED to buy a reloading manual, they NEED to purchase a Cast Bullet Manual, AND they need to try to do something for theirselves. It is very unfortunate that some are totally unable to commit some time to learning something about reloading. The idea of asking for a load for say 38 Special exemplifies true laziness. My Lord, there are so many posts already on the very subject plus EVERY reloading manual has several loads for the cartridge. If one is too financial strapped to buy a manual (which I find hard to believe) then take the time to go to any one of a number of internet sites that have proven loads and do some research for ones cartridge.

Rant off. SINCERELY!

Edd

bob208
12-31-2012, 02:06 PM
i agree with you. i see those posts and think don't you have a reloading manual?

NVScouter
12-31-2012, 02:14 PM
Well as one of those folks that did this let me just say, thanks to those that helped. I'm trying to not throw money at something that has been done before and failed. I own many reloading books including Pet Loads, LEE, Hornady, SPEER, Lyman Blackpowder, and Lymans Cast boolits [smilie=1:, and Hodgens current manuals. I have an E-copy of the Sierra book and others.

LEE molds are cheap and for 25$ your right, if it doesnt work swap it. I've been moving up in mold cost the last couple years and I dont have $75-200 a mold to throw out there anymore all the time. Also since moving to the Salt Lake area I realized how spoiled I was to have a range down the road. Its a major hassle to shoot here so loading up 4-5 rounds and trying them out isnt a reality. Top that with having kids, I dont have the time to play around like I used to with loads.

I've been reloading about 20 years now and I've found that specific guns and loads to together and have blatantly stolen some great loads from other people. I just try and give credit when its due. At least you get into the ballpark faster then tailor to your gun.

My 0.02$. Good rant FYI!

Love Life
12-31-2012, 02:14 PM
Anybody got a good load for a 220 gr boolit for 8X57? [smilie=1:

6bg6ga
12-31-2012, 02:22 PM

It seems to me that there are a lot of individuals here lately asking for loads for their chosen powder/boolit combination. I understand fully that a fellow may have a problem firearm and may need some help. What I also understand is there are a significant number of people who require instant gratification and response to THEIR question. It seems to me that if one is going to hand load, they NEED to take the time to learn the basics, they NEED to buy a reloading manual, they NEED to purchase a Cast Bullet Manual, AND they need to try to do something for theirselves. It is very unfortunate that some are totally unable to commit some time to learning something about reloading. The idea of asking for a load for say 38 Special exemplifies true laziness. My Lord, there are so many posts already on the very subject plus EVERY reloading manual has several loads for the cartridge. If one is too financial strapped to buy a manual (which I find hard to believe) then take the time to go to any one of a number of internet sites that have proven loads and do some research for ones cartridge.

Rant off. SINCERELY!

Edd

Sometimes you have to realize that a person may just want a load to try that is supposed to be fairly accurate. I personally don't have a problem providing a load but I also mention that this load may need to be adjusted for that persons gun as do most. Generally a "proven" load is fairly accurate and is a good starting place. Yes, I have several reloading manuals but this doesn't stop me from asking if someone has a decent load for a XYZ.

badgeredd
12-31-2012, 02:26 PM
To be clear, I HAVE asked for help with a load...not a problem if a fellow is having trouble. What is a problem is someone simply asking because they are inclined to not use the basics of reloading.

Edd

Trey45
12-31-2012, 02:26 PM
I thought we were here to share knowledge and help people.

1Shirt
12-31-2012, 02:27 PM
There are pros and cons regarding this thread. Edd got it off his chest, so now it is time to press on. Guess I fall someplace inbetween Edd and 6bg6ga, and I probably have at least 20 reloading manuals.
1Shirt!

Harter66
12-31-2012, 02:28 PM
I've been guilty of that........ I was just sort of looking for eliminating loads that wouldn't work. Or finding a "better" load.

Before I became civilized and was still laying out the big bucks for XTPs and the like,a little help w/ a powder choice and a couple loads that worked saved me potentially $50-75 in bullets and powders that may or may not have met my goals.

Not everyone that asks is looking for a quick fix or is lazy. Many times they've already exhausted the load data for a particular group of parts. I'd hate to be new into this and get flamed for picking a new/next powder to try and asking to see if it were worth trying/spending the time on.

Just my hay penny.......

badgeredd
12-31-2012, 02:30 PM
I thought we were here to share knowledge and help people.

You are totally correct.

HELP is only necessary if one has tried and not succeeded. Laziness is just that.

Edd

badboyparamedic
12-31-2012, 02:33 PM
I to have asked about loads for different things, I have plenty of manuals but sometimes the loads I am trying to work up arent in the books. I thought this forum was about communicating and helping others with less experiance, maybe I need to find another forum to join and leave this one.

Forums only work when the members are comfortable using it.

Trey45
12-31-2012, 02:36 PM
Seems a bit extreme to leave the forum because of one mans opinion out of 25,000+.
But if that's how you feel so be it. I've never seen anyone outright refuse to help anyone here, not ever.

badboyparamedic
12-31-2012, 03:07 PM
You are right it would be extreme, post just kind of hit me wrong. I have only been casting for about 6 months and the info on this site is invaluble. I dont know much but if I can help someone with what little I have learned so far, I am more than happy to.

darkroommike
12-31-2012, 03:11 PM

Rant off. SINCERELY!

Edd

Amen and I should add that if one is having trouble why not put that in the headline of the post. Personally, I am pretty new here and to reloading, and would be really leery of trying any "pet" loads posted by anyone anywhere without a great deal of thought and research. Without knowing the firearm and the purpose of the load I would run like mad. I have had strange looks at the range when well meaning folks offer me their new pet load to try in my pistol, but on the other hand. my barrel, my hand and my eyes are intact.

I have also seen a lot of requests for info on here that could be more simply answered in 10 seconds with Google. If you navigate a forum (with all due respect to out hardworking moderators) you can manage Google.

Also, having been here for a while now, I see identical posts on more than one category on this forum and on more than one forum and some questions (or variations thereof) that get asked all the time. There is a search tool on the forum as well as a whole bunch of stickies regarding formulas for homemade lubes, modification of sizing dies, fixing molds and good casting practices. Read the stickies.

badgeredd
12-31-2012, 04:06 PM
You are right it would be extreme, post just kind of hit me wrong. I have only been casting for about 6 months and the info on this site is invaluble. I dont know much but if I can help someone with what little I have learned so far, I am more than happy to.

I apologize if I offended you, but like you say a post just "hit me wrong." I am more than willing to help, if I can, anyone. The problem I see has nothing to do with needing help to learn, but has everything to do with "I'm too busy to use my valuable time" or "I need data cause I don't want to look" with no attempt to figure it out for oneself. Now that I've said my piece, I'll likely not mention it again, at least for another 5 years. BUT don't be surprised to see me say "Buy a munual!"

ALSO, sometimes people need to be made aware of their actions to change them. More than once, I have been corrected and have learned from the experience. Nuff said.

Edd

Gray Fox
12-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Well, I hope I haven't ruffled too many feathers by asking for load assistance on here, but let me put my situation into perspective. I have been loading for over 30 years, and casting for over 20. I have ammo cans full of molds and dissicants. But, I also live 90 minutes from the closest public range where I don't have the luxury of setting up a press and trying this or that until I get into a "range of loads" where I might find a load that best suits me and the particular weapon I'm loading for. Assistance I've recieved here has helped me get into that range quicker several times. Just recently I've acquired a .44 special, a cartridge for which I haven't loaded for over 15 years. Advise I got here just yesterday will help me put together a particular load for it with the boolits from a mold I've never cast with before. So, from my perspective all I can say is thanks guys. GF

plmitch
12-31-2012, 04:35 PM
I'm to lazy to ask for load data anymore, just going to ask people to come over and load for me and maybe make a sandwich.

frkelly74
12-31-2012, 04:44 PM
I am here to see the discussions of various load techniques and recipes and find it informative and a have even chimed in when someone asks about something I have personal experience with. I generally find it interesting, It is also good to know that I am not in this and doing this hobby all by myself. People who study bullet casting are not real common type people and I know I get a lot of blank stares when I try to discuss casting at large. It is a comfort to me not to be thought crazy every where.

migtek02
12-31-2012, 04:48 PM
I am a member of many forums and can tell you there are always folks who complain that some ask for specific info. As a member who has asked and on some forums answered a lot of questions where I have the knowledge to share. For this topic consider that if someone is asking about loads for cast lead its because they are most likely casting and learning. It's not fair to assume they are lazy, I have spent countless hrs reading threads with tones of posts only to get half answer. Don't get me wrong this is the BEST forum iv ever used. So if u are upset we have asked specific questions I offer my apologies. OTOH I don't want to buy 6-10 different powders and experiment "reinvent the wheel " if u will. I'd rather help a brother caster out so we can all spend wisely shoot more and exercise our rights. Fighting amongst ourselves and chasing away new members will only help the antiguners.

MtGun44
12-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Edd made some good points without personal attacks, and snotty and sarcastic
personal attacks in response are NOT part of a civil discussion, which is the norm
here. I worry when some of these posters are clearly without any references
of their own and too uninformed or lazy (can't tell) to even go to Hodgdon's excellent
online free database of loads.

Bill

Gliden07
12-31-2012, 04:57 PM
First thing I bought was a loading manual. I did a bunch of research prior to loading. I did ask for suggestions before I loaded a single round though, not because I was lazy but I was doing something I considered potenally dangerous! Considering I had never done it before I decided to ask those that knew from years of experiance.

Ed Barrett
12-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Just about all the powder and bullet companies have loading data on the web for free. Several sites have cast bullet data. On this site you can do a search and find data on most combinations. Lastly every rifle is a law unto itself as far as handloads are concerned, there is no magic formula, testing and record keeping is the way to to find accurate loads. Just my 2 cents worth.

MtGun44
12-31-2012, 05:05 PM
The kind of questions that set off my alarms are "What would be a safe load for a
.44 Mag with H110 and a 240 gr boolit?"

This data is very well known, published in most loading manuals and available on line
free from Hodgdon. My worry with this question is that the guy has no clue and may
follow the info from someone that tells him an excessive, unsafe load beause
he has no references of his own. I usually ask - "You do have a couple of loading
manuals, don't you? You should check with Hodgdon, the powder maker and use
their excellent online database."

Of course, if it is more like "What have you found to be a good, accurate load for
Unique in .38 Spl with a 158 boolit?" then I have a pet load that I will pass on that
is not max but has worked well in a number of guns. It seems more like a
person that is not without their own references, but looking for experience,
not where the safety limits are.

Bill

6bg6ga
12-31-2012, 05:10 PM
Gentlemen,

I for one after reading this thread can appreciate both sides of the record. I can see how some might be bothered by being asked if they have a load for an XYZ caliber. I can also relate to someone that lives 90 minutes away from the range that is wanting to come up with something close simply because A) he doesn't have time for multiple trips to the range B) he is trying not to fowl the barrel with a load that is unknown to him. C) He is trying to conserve his money by not purchasing perhaps a powder that may not work the best for his gun.

I think that instead of possibly being pig headed about this we might reflect and possibly consider how we might feel or have felt asking for help. It is hard to ask for help at times and it can be hard to take help when it is offered.

I can site an example here about myself.... I shoot 45acp and I use 231 powder and this is all I have ever used in my 45's or 38's or 357's simply because it is all I have ever tried. Sure I have reloading manuals but they do not tell me how accurately for example of how Unique, or red dot might work for my application. A lb of powder is in the neighborhood of $20 or more and to make a mistake means you have a $20 container of powder that doesn't shoot accurately in your firearm so that $20 that could have gone to purchase primers or lead is now sitting on the shelf. Maybe I shouldn't bother someone and ask is red dot is a good powder and if they have a load worked out for it but then again if they were asking me I would be civil enough to provide the best answer that I could. I guess thats just me.

Jim
12-31-2012, 05:12 PM
THIS IS NOT A DRILL! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!
GENERAL QUARTERS!! CABIN FEVER IMMENENT!
ALL HANDS, PREPARE FOR NBC, MAN YOUR BATTLE STATIONS!
FIRE CONTROL, DAMAGE CONTROL, MEDICAL, DEFCON ONE!!

Some of y'all need to find somethin' to do.

6bg6ga
12-31-2012, 05:16 PM
I will go on record saying that when and if I provide information for a load I will always provide the lower and upper ranges of powder for the bullet in question for that load.

Example.. 200 gr semi wadcutter, lead , powder 231 lower range 4.8 gr maximum 6.1 gr I use 5.6gr

Gentlemen, another reason for possibly asking an older more experienced loader is this... There have been numerous examples of loading data that has changed between different series of loading manuals. I have seen this personally over the years in my fathers reloading manuals. I can remember seeing a load that had been listed as safe as being listed in a NEW manual as unsafe. Sometimes we check the manuals and sometimes we go to those experienced and get their two cents worth.

Hamish
12-31-2012, 05:21 PM

(ahem) You forgot "SWEEPERS, SWEEPERS, MAN YOUR BROOMS!" for the Moderators.

waksupi
12-31-2012, 05:30 PM
We all know we can find loads in plenty of books. We also know that someone, somewhere has the perfect Holy Grail of a load, that will render our loads, aim and hitting ability to a point of Nirvana. So, ya just GOTTA ask!

Hickory
12-31-2012, 05:40 PM

Thanks Jim we needed that!!

RobS
12-31-2012, 05:42 PM
I've never asked for a handload on this forum or any other for that matter. I suppose I prefer to look things up myself, experiment, read the hell out of things, read some more...............and...............prefer not to be torched for asking. :???: Although I do have to say I've ran just about every powder at 45 ACP, 45 Colt and 454 Casull handloads and with a varying array of boolits. I've learned a lot, found some loads that are excellent, found many loads that are not and everything in between. I will gladly provide my knowledge if someone asks for it.

Great Post Jim!!! :mrgreen:

blackthorn
12-31-2012, 06:07 PM
Waksupi said "We all know we can find loads in plenty of books. We also know that someone, somewhere has the perfect Holy Grail of a load, that will render our loads, aim and hitting ability to a point of Nirvana. So, ya just GOTTA ask!"

Then when you get the answer, you rush out and load up a bunch, jump in your 3/4 ton, 4x4 (that gets 8 miles per gallon) and drive 90 minutes to the range ---- only to find that what worked in his gun, sucks in yours!!! Cause each gun is different--don't cha know?

Most times, if I think the poster could have easily found the answer himself, I just move on.

44man
12-31-2012, 06:21 PM
I myself, can't deny help to anyone. It really is why we are here, to make cast work.
I load for accuracy so a load is going to be safe for the guns.
What scares me is when anyone says they get umpteen bazillion FPS.
Cast is hard, friends might need help.

badboyparamedic
12-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Maybe it cause I dont have alot of experiance on the forum. I have tried using the search function before I have posred some of my questions and end up with 500 post to look through, I work a full-time job and am pretty much on-call 24 hours a day. Trying to find the time to read all the posts that come up using the search function could take me days.

For example I tried to find some info on using fillers in 308 and 223 with CB, if I remember it came up with 17 pages, I am not to Lazt to read but I may get through one or to pages looking for the info I need and then get called to work.

Maybe I just cant use the Search Function correctly?

fishnbob
12-31-2012, 06:37 PM
I myself, can't deny help to anyone. It really is why we are here, to make cast work.
I load for accuracy so a load is going to be safe for the guns.
What scares me is when anyone says they get umpteen bazillion FPS.
Cast is hard, friends might need help.

The best info I've learned on this site is if you are gonna load cast, forget everything you ever learned about reloading!

Mooseman
12-31-2012, 06:41 PM
I look at it a bit differently. I would prefer to have someone ask questions before doing something stupid that may end up unsafe or deadly. With years of reloading and load development under our belts, even the most experienced loader has loads that when tested showed a danger level because of a powder or a component. While I have a stack of manuals, they dont list every bullet and every powder combination, and it takes many hours of dinking at the loading bench to set up a bunch of scaled test loads to take to the range.In todays economy ,lots of people cant afford the time or the components necessary. 40 years ago I was lucky that an experienced reloader took me under his wing and taught me casting, sizing, lubing, case prep, and reloading and load development.It sure beat a book when I had a question, he had an answer. We didnt have the internet back then,we had each other. Now after all these years as my life is sunsetting, I enjoy passing on my knowledge to others in the interest of teaching and safety as well as preserving our hobby and making a new friend along the way. Part of our problem in society is we dont talk to each other enough, and if you can learn all you need off the Internet , Why have schools and teachers anymore ?
I looked up online data on a powder I was considering and found one load that was listed for a set amount of powder, Not a Minimum or maximum load just xx.x grains. That kind of Data from a powder company doesnt cut it in my book.
As a forum, we are here as a like minded community and you all are "neighbors" here. I dont see a problem helping someone,even if they could have found it elsewhere by looking,up until the point that they show me all they want CONTINUOUSLY is to be spoon fed information, then, I point them in a different direction and put a verbal boot in their behind to jump start em...
Its called Teaching !!!

MT Gianni
12-31-2012, 06:47 PM
Edd, someone wanting the magic combo is frustrating as unless two guns came from the factory next to each other and two molds cut in sequence they will not group the same with the same load. This I see is more a function of having 25K + members. The front porch just got larger.

shooter93
12-31-2012, 06:55 PM
There is also the option of not reading posts that ask for load data.

41 mag fan
12-31-2012, 07:03 PM
Whats everyones favorite load and mold for the 45-70??
if I need and can't find I'll ask, as we each should...sad thing is...search don't always work, and then when we do a search it's 300 pages long..and I myself haven't got the time for 300 pages or whatever....so I ask when it's the last resort

badgeredd
12-31-2012, 07:28 PM
Edd, someone wanting the magic combo is frustrating as unless two guns came from the factory next to each other and two molds cut in sequence they will not group the same with the same load. This I see is more a function of having 15K + members. The front porch just got larger.

Point taken...thank you.

Edd

badgeredd
12-31-2012, 07:29 PM
There is also the option of not reading posts that ask for load data.

Been there..done that. and again point taken.

Edd

Dean D.
12-31-2012, 07:46 PM
I am afraid we will be seeing more of these type questions about load data in light of recent current events and primer/powder shortages. I can understand reluctance to burn through your precious supply of primers and powder to find the best load for your gun. Loading manuals normally offer a pretty wide range between starting loads and max loads. "Suggested most accurate load" helps a lot but I'm sure many new reloaders don't even know that data is staring them in the face.

mpmarty
12-31-2012, 07:51 PM
I've got more than a dozen books on loads some circa 1967 - 1970 and at last count over twenty five different rifle and pistol powders. Half the fun in this for me is "mixing and matching" for the performance I want. Example: I shoot a lot of 45/70 and would NEVER DREAM of loading the max loads I see in manuals. These loads may well be safe for the rifle but not for my shoulder. I experiiment with 7.5 swiss in my K31 short throated bastard it is and only use very light loads of quick powder. The rifle seems to get along well on Red Dot as well as 2400. I've been on this site for a while and don't recall ever refusing to answer a question where I had personal knowledge to submit. Relax Ed it's just a bunch of excited electrons running around in here.

Roosters
12-31-2012, 08:02 PM
A member here gave me a load for a 44 mag with the powder and the charge plus a specific place to crimp the boolit. I doubt it is listed in a Manuel . I do have manuals and knew the charge he gave was within reason. Anyway loaded a few up and wa-la worked just as he predicted. Guess have shot 8 or 9 hundred rounds of that load and haven’t changed it by even a tenth of a grain. For me to have gotten that from a book I probable would have shot half that on one side or the other of that load .
It came from a guy that I didn’t know that was using the same boolit that was generous enough to share his experience. You can read, surf, or whatever but it’s hard to beat someone telling you “I use that and here’s what I found.”
That is what makes this place Special. . . . . . 8-)
I saw some where or maybe someone’s signature line that said “Wisdom taken to the grave is wasted”

Roosters

Highway41
12-31-2012, 08:02 PM
As one of those who has asked for such information I would like to make it clear why I did so. I tried repeatedly to search for threads pertinent to my caliber of choice, 41 magnum. After many different combinations failed to be very fruitful. I asked in the help&testing section about search issues. I was told that the search function does not work for 2 digit searches (for a valid technical reason which I do not recall the specifics of). This effectively makes any search for 41, 44, 38, etc impossible. When I introduced myself upon joining CB I was welcomed by many fellow 41 fans. Being unable to fully utilize the search function, I asked.

firefly1957
12-31-2012, 08:33 PM
I need a load for my 45-70-500 can't find it in any book.

Blacksmith
12-31-2012, 08:38 PM
One thing to consider is how you ask the question. You will get different reactions and different responses depending on how you ask. For example:

"Give me the best load for a 250 gr. cast bullet for the .45 Long Colt with Green Dot."
vs.
" I am trying to find an accurate load for my .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk with a 5.5" barrel. I have a Lyman #454190 mould that drops a 250 gr. boolit in #2 alloy and I size to .452" (I will consider changing alloy or size) I currently use Green Dot powder for several of my loads and would like to use that if possible so I don't have to stock too many. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated."

See the difference? I bet the second one would get a lot more help and tick off fewer people. These are not real questions I made them up, and picked the boolit and powder because the Cast Bullet Handbook has different load data for that weight depending on mould.

Blacksmith
12-31-2012, 08:42 PM

Try Lyman Handbook 49th edition or Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition it's in both of those.

NVScouter
12-31-2012, 09:25 PM
I think rant threads are important and shouldn't be flamed. Teased sure but sometime you need perspective and its a great way to do it.

So speak your mind this is the most open minded forum I've ever been on.

Highway41
12-31-2012, 09:25 PM
I would like to make a public apology for my earlier post on this thread. Not the one a few posts up from here, but one made much earlier in the discussion. If you did not see it, all the better.

I was out of line, and the post was justly removed.

Wishing all a blessed new year,
Tracy

Roosters
12-31-2012, 11:15 PM

You been spending way to much time shooting and not enough looking for books. . . It’s out there and when you find it remember to start low and work up slowly. :kidding:

Ed Barrett
01-01-2013, 12:04 AM
I have 3 .38 special revolvers, 2 357 Mag. revolvers and 2 357 Mag rifles, every one of them likes a different combination of powder and bullet for maximum accuracy. 2 of the 38 special revolvers are S&W combat masterpieces within a few digits of each other and they shoot differently with the same loads. You can get someone in the ballpark and and the right section but he has to find his own seat.

Hardcast416taylor
01-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Heck, even I have asked Edd for load help with a cartridge. But that is another story for another time. I freely give advice to beginners and others that may ask for some help. I would that they ask for direction than to attempt a "U" turn on an 4 lane 1 way highway as far as loading is concerned!Robert

waksupi
01-01-2013, 12:42 AM
Try putting a (.) in front of the numbers.

jonas302
01-01-2013, 12:52 AM
Sometimes its best to step away for a few days and let others answer also remember we are all here as friends not required to help every time and even the best of friends get on each others nerves sometimes

Some people do defiantly need to get a load manual they tend to be easy to notice and get throughly scolded in the thread Others just are not as good at computers they may be very smart just computer illiterate

Happy New Year to all

WILCO
01-01-2013, 01:56 AM

It seems to me that there are a lot of individuals here lately asking for loads for their chosen powder/boolit combination. Edd

I think this whole post is/was unnecessary. Someone asks a question, answer it or ignore it. Pretty simple. With everything going on in the world today, it's pretty sad to see that this is what gets you riled up. Many moons ago, before the internet, I asked a dear friend with the same cartridge as I, what bullet/load he used. He was kind enough to share it with me and it's been my standard loading all these years. I've shot 100 to 1,000 yards with it. I've never added or subtracted a grain of powder or changed bullet weights. Never needed to, as it always worked very well for my purposes. Not only did my dear friend save me much money and time by not having to reinvent the wheel, he also gave me a lifelong gift to remember him by, as he's passed on from this earth. Everytime I load that specific cartridge, I think of him. I sincerely doubt he ever thought I was lazy for asking which load he worked with.

Highway41
01-01-2013, 02:01 AM
Waksupi - I was told that the search function disregards dots and dashes and such.
It would be simpler if everyone notated the calibers exactly alike but we all have our own short hand. Edd did give me a search tip I haven't tried yet, if it yields better results I will post it later.

waksupi
01-01-2013, 03:00 AM
Waksupi - I was told that the search function disregards dots and dashes and such.
It would be simpler if everyone notated the calibers exactly alike but we all have our own short hand. Edd did give me a search tip I haven't tried yet, if it yields better results I will post it later.

If that doesn't work, try using the full cartridge designation, ie, .44 Remington

A problem about asking for someone else's load, is the variation between firearms. I once asked a friend what he was shooting in his particular rifle. It was a good accurate load, no excess recoil. when I tried it in a firearm that was identical, it locked up the bolt. I had to drop down several grains to get a load that worked as well as his. When we chronographed both rifles, they were within 50 fps of each other. Tighter chamber? Tighter bore? I don't know, but mine certainly ran higher pressures.

6bg6ga
01-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Maybe I'm not looking in the right areas but I'm not finding very much for cast boolits. Got to ask this.... anyone have reloading data for a 250-255gr cast round nose for 45acp?

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-01-2013, 09:48 AM
If the search function doesn't give me what I'm looking for, I use Google ! With my technique, Google will give 5 good threads, that is, if there are 5 or more good threads on a topic.

Not too long ago, I helped Tx308 with what little info I had on 41 Mag with heavyweight castboolit loads. Now there isn't much "published" info out there on that, I know I struggled when I first got my RD TL411-255 mold.
So, when I search using Google for info like that, I type in, "castboolits 41 heavy load" (I've found it best to have "castboolits" as the first word). The first item that comes up will be a link/thread to a castboolits.com discussion and right under that in small print there will be four more similar threads, and right under that will be "More results from castboolits.gunloads.com »" if you click on that you will have hundreds of threads...the further down you read, the farther you will veer away from the searches perameters you typed in. if you aren't finding what you're looking for, by just reading the one sentence that Google gives you with each link, sometimes gives you better words to use in your search perameters.
Good Luck,
Jon

Boyscout
01-01-2013, 10:17 AM
I'm in the same boat as many others. I have a least 6 experimental loads ready for the range and have not had a day off since Thanksgiving to go to the range which is 45 minutes away. I belong to an indoor range 10 minutes away but I can not shoot anything but handgun there. I have 5 manuals but the information on cast bullets is slim at best. I use mostly Lee moulds and it amazes me how few of those are represented in the Lee Loading manual. I take the suggested loads I see on the post and compare them to the manuals. If they seem too far off, I don't load it. The Lyman manual has been helpful but it doesn't cover everything.

6bg6ga
01-01-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm in the same boat as many others. I have a least 6 experimental loads ready for the range and have not had a day off since Thanksgiving to go to the range which is 45 minutes away. I belong to an indoor range 10 minutes away but I can not shoot anything but handgun there. I have 5 manuals but the information on cast bullets is slim at best. I use mostly Lee moulds and it amazes me how few of those are represented in the Lee Loading manual. I take the suggested loads I see on the post and compare them to the manuals. If they seem too far off, I don't load it. The Lyman manual has been helpful but it doesn't cover everything.

I guess we are just supposed to load them up and let fire and if we survive thru the first round we can then look for signs of excessive pressure. God help us if we ask questions because its all in the manuals and we should just whip out the Mastercard and say charge it and have on hand 15 or 20 manuals. Tried several examples of looking things up on line for cast bullets and guess what? They reference this site what a mistake. Mind you I will NEVER ask about loads here again.

RobS
01-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Also a person can google search with the advanced search option
http://www.google.ca/advanced_search and under the site or domain a person can put in http://castboolits.gunloads.com

1Shirt
01-01-2013, 11:56 AM
I believe we ought to keep emotions in this area out of the discussions, and stay with facts. Politics and humor are areas where there is room for emotion.
1Shirt!

Charlie Two Tracks
01-01-2013, 12:41 PM
I just tried the google advance search link and typed in castboolits .38 loads. Nothing. I always have a hard time on searches. I know they are there but I really don't know how to do it correctly. I've also asked for a lot of help here but when the only persons that know how to cast are on a web site, it makes it kind of hard (for me) to get all the stuff down right. I honestly believe that casting and loading needs to be passed down. I can make my own boolits now, load them and have them go down range half way good. I never would have been able to do that without this site. I'm in Illinois and have to be sure of how I am transporting a firearm, components, and loaded rounds. The range is 1/2 hr away and has four stations. It is owned by Springfield Armory and you have a fair amount of AR rifles being tested or just being shot by proud new owners. A Black Powder club also shoots at this range. I used to go to my brothers farm and shoot but he passed away last year and they sold the farm. Having a bunch of people waiting behind you or you waiting to retrieve a target to see how it worked can be anything but relaxing. I try to develop a few different loads to take out there but if the first one leads stuff up, the other shooters are not going to let you sit at a station to clean out the lead. It's just the way it is around here and I'm glad I can still load and shoot. I just retired so I can go out and shoot during the week once it warms up. The poor working guy has to try to shoot on the weekends and it can be time consuming waiting for your turn. Some guys looking for loads or help may be lazy and then some are trying to learn how to keep reloading alive in their area under less than favorable conditions.

Jeffrey
01-01-2013, 01:05 PM
This thread touches on a subject I've been thinking about for a while: source for good cast boolit data. It seems like most places I go whether it is powder manufacturer's sites or loading manuals too many have data for mostly jacketed. "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee was recently gifted to me from my own Midway wish list. "OH BOY, Finally a book full of cast boolit data". NOT. The 30-06 section has data for 32 projectiles, only 4 of those are cast. Of those 4 the only powders specified are Accurate 5744, 4064 and 2700. ???? And this from a mould manufacturer?
What this site really needs is a section that is devoted strictly to data. Instead of having load information strewn all over the site there should be one section for data and literature, maybe with individual pages for each calibre. That way if someone was annoyed by the "I need a load for XYZ" question they can just skip that section. And those of us on a budget that don't have $15.00 dollars or more to throw away on a useless manual can go straight there.
Manuals are great. They are necessary. But if I have 5# of IMR4350 on my shelf and want to use it in a cast boolit load, I'm not likely to find much data on manufacturer's sites. Yes, I know why. I doubt many of us have the resources to run out and buy powder when we have multiple pounds of it in our cabinets and we want to know if one of those will work if we want to load up a few rounds.
Jeffrey

Hardcast416taylor
01-01-2013, 01:07 PM
I`m kinda wonderin` if Edd was snowed in, had no cigarettes and was out of coffee when he started his rant??Robert

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-01-2013, 01:15 PM
I just tried the google advance search link and typed in castboolits .38 loads. Nothing. I always have a hard time on searches...

Charlie,
here is your search without the decimal point and without the letter s.
meaning, I typed in "castboolits 38 load"
https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&gs_mss=castboolits%2038%20load%20s&tok=hIgPdcxZqtYc2y4y4ekmYA&pq=castboolits%2038%20loads&cp=20&gs_id=w&xhr=t&q=castboolits+38+load&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&tbo=d&site=webhp&oq=castboolits+38+load+&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=37ae6f43b27737a2&bpcl=40096503&biw=806&bih=380&bs=1

I hope I didn't mislead you that you'll get instant load data, you are going to get Links to discussion threads that have those words in them, not neccessarily in that order. ALSO, I am not using Google advanced, it doesn't seem necessary to me.
Good Luck,
Jon

PS, also, I'm am not telling anyone not to ask...I love to give an answer on question threads, if I can.

rexherring
01-01-2013, 01:16 PM
I have also asked some load questions just because a member just may have worked out a load I haven't thought of. I have about 6 or seven manuals and have been handloading for over 45 years and once in awhile even us old farts can learn something new.

Sweetpea
01-01-2013, 01:19 PM
I`m kinda wonderin` if Edd was snowed in, had no cigarettes and was out of coffee when he started his rant??Robert

Now that's just funny!

Hardcast, what part of the thumb are you in?

RobS
01-01-2013, 01:24 PM
I just tried the google advance search link and typed in castboolits .38 loads. Nothing. I always have a hard time on searches. I know they are there but I really don't know how to do it correctly.

Charlie:
You need to go down on the advanced google search to where it says site or domain and put in the castboolits address.
I have circled in red what I am talking about.

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt206/RobS01/googleadvancedsearch_zps6f90a270.png

and the search results:

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt206/RobS01/Googleadvancedsearch38loads_zps245e1d55.png

This will help give you a refined search.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-01-2013, 01:26 PM
....What this site really needs is a section that is devoted strictly to data. Instead of having load information strewn all over the site there should be one section for data and literature, maybe with individual pages for each calibre....

Jeffrey,
go to the bottom of the page,
click on the banner that says "castpics"
look at the left side of the page, the seventh line says "Load data" click on that.
look at the left of the page again, the fifth line down says "Load data lookup" click on that.
another page will pop up, type in the cartridge name and click search.
BINGO

Good Luck,
Jon

Charlie Two Tracks
01-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Thank you JonB. That works. I knew there was something I was doing wrong. Now I can use the search feature better. I don't mind looking through the pages but it is frustrating when you know it's there but don't know how to get it. And thanks RobS. Maybe we could get a sticky on how to use the search feature. Then again maybe it's already there.

RobS
01-01-2013, 01:35 PM
No problem Charlie, a sticky could help.

NVScouter
01-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Many great points. And the LEE book comment was my exact same experience

All the load books tell us to use the current load manual because of manufacturing changes to powder/primers etc. Also case findings, ANSI changes, etc.

Almost all published cast boolit data is over 25 years old, and much of that over 50. I throw the Blue Dot .41mag data out there for example. I load I was using at the time.

How many here have a subscription to Handloader? I've owned hundreds of firearms and that's still not enough to know that manufacturer XYZ produced oversized throats from 1970-1985 so _____ mold works best. Folks here that already played that game can help.

snuffy
01-01-2013, 01:56 PM
TANSTAAFL There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

My take on this has always been, do the work. By that I mean there's no shortcuts to a good safe, accurate load. Sure, it costs components, time and shooting to do it. Loading manuals are full of safe loads, they can't guarantee they'll be accurate. That applies to jaxeted bullets in standard calibers for rifles and handguns.

Specialty loads using home cast boolits like we make are an entirely different matter. For some applications there just isn't any loading data, or very little. Then along comes somebody that wants to know what worked for someone else. The person that responds can only give the basic info. He cannot be certain how the boolit was made, of what alloy, and how it was sized/lubed. If the person looking for an accurate load gets one with the info supplied, it's a small miracle.

There's just too many variables to this reloading game for anybody to get small groups on the first try. Often they're doing something wrong or their tools just aren't up to the task. If it's lack of experience, that can be fixed with the right question posed to other experienced loaders. I'm only too happy to help out if someone is stuck on a fine point that could be answered by an old f**t like me.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-01-2013, 01:59 PM
One thing that may help us as a group, last week when I was talking to Accurate powders for a load,
I ask them if they publish any cast boolit data and they said they where working on it.
I suggest you email, write or call powder makers and ask them to make a cast boolit publication.
Some do, most dont -yet. Let them know you need info.

6bg6ga
01-01-2013, 02:05 PM
One thing that may help us as a group, last week when I was talking to Accurate powders for a load,
I ask them if they publish any cast boolit data and they said they where working on it.
I suggest you email, write or call powder makers and ask them to make a cast boolit publication.
Some do, most dont -yet. Let them know you need info.

Its too bad that we can't work together as a group because if we could there is a possibility of putting together our own reloading data.

Blacksmith
01-01-2013, 02:33 PM
It seems to me that if you want to shoot cast boolits and can afford a $25 lee mould $30 plus primers and $1.00 a pound lead you should be able to afford $21.39 for a copy of Cast Bullet Handbook which would be a good starting point. It won't answer all the questions but will give a starting point for most calibers.

I recommend to anyone interested in reloading to get at least two manuals so they can cross check loads to make sure they are reasonable. I would recommend to people interested in casting to read several references, including this site, before they buy the first mould or melt the first pot. Same as recommending new shooters take a class and find a mentor.

Lets face it what we do can be hazardous to you and others and you won't learn everything you should know in a few quick forum posts.

6bg6ga
01-01-2013, 02:44 PM
It seems to me that if you want to shoot cast boolits and can afford a $25 lee mould $30 plus primers and $1.00 a pound lead you should be able to afford $21.39 for a copy of Cast Bullet Handbook which would be a good starting point. It won't answer all the questions but will give a starting point for most calibers.

I recommend to anyone interested in reloading to get at least two manuals so they can cross check loads to make sure they are reasonable. I would recommend to people interested in casting to read several references, including this site, before they buy the first mould or melt the first pot. Same as recommending new shooters take a class and find a mentor.

Lets face it what we do can be hazardous to you and others and you won't learn everything you should know in a few quick forum posts.

Ever stop to think that there are a lot of us that do own a number of manuals? Having 50 manuals is not going to provide all the information needed to reload every caliber, bullet combination. Been loading for 40+ years and yes I know that makes me old but it still makes me realize that I still do not have all the answers and therefore I may resort to asking someone elses opinions and such.

Jeffrey
01-01-2013, 03:37 PM
YAHOO and Happy Dance. Thanks, Jeffrey

Jeffrey,
go to the bottom of the page,
click on the banner that says "castpics"
look at the left side of the page, the seventh line says "Load data" click on that.
look at the left of the page again, the fifth line down says "Load data lookup" click on that.
another page will pop up, type in the cartridge name and click search.
BINGO

Good Luck,
Jon

Mal Paso
01-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Never can tell when a "stupid" question will lead to a great idea or humorous response.

les bons temps rouler

gray wolf
01-01-2013, 04:35 PM
WOW!! 4 pages on this, and now you all can have my response.
I think a lot has to do with how a person asks the question. The devil is in the details.
I think it goes without saying we are here to help folks,
But help should not be dancing on the edge of enabling
(allowing someone to continue allowing someone else to do the work for them )
There are many that are just to darn lazy to do anything, If they could pee without having to drop a zipper they probly would.
Example
Hey! got a load for a 357 ?
What's the best bullet for a 30/30 ?
I need a load for a 300 grain 44 mag.
So what's your best load for XYZ
So what's the best powder for a 300 WIN. mag ?
the best this, the best that bla,bla,bla,
I see these questions all over the net. some folks just depend on others, and some folks just don't understand the complexity of the questions they ask, and don't/won't/ don't see the need to delve deeper into the learning experience.
Some Folks are in such a hurry to tell others how smart they are or how much they know to the point they don't care if it's not really helping the other person. ( think about that )
I like to see something like this :
I can't find load data for my lead bullets, I have a 158 grain lead bullet and only find data for J-words. A simple question, easy answer but not everyone knows it.
---My load book shows different powder weights for each powder and also shows 4 or 5 different powders and all for the same bullet. What's the best way to proceed.
---I can't find my bullet weight in my load book, does that mean I can't use this bullet ?
--- some questions that at least show the OP did SOME work, I mean at least Fraze a question so folks know your not just asking someone to do the work for you.
I have a few load books, all very old, some probly used by some cave man to find out the velocity difference of a rock thrown with the left hand as apposed to the tight hand.
I wish I had the extra money to update my books, I don't so I ask questions and try very hard to let the other men know my question is in the form of a safety check, or it's just not in my book and I at least did some research and now I need help.

snuffy
01-01-2013, 04:56 PM
This world is all about getting everything quickly. High speed internet, cell phones, 100's of TV channels, one load for my rifle. The feeling goes; how hard can this reloading be?? Surely there's a magical load that will work, I don't really have to try different stuff------DO I?

Another thing that gripes me is someone not including all data when asking why he's having problems with a load. We ask questions, they don't respond, we fly off in all directions trying to guess the details so we can help solve the problem.

Like Gray wolf said, it's all in how you ask the question. I can see someone new to reloading/casting, AND new to forums and how they work, not knowing how the original topic post should read to get the desired response. So come right back to fill in the gaps so we can answer correctly.

Blacksmith
01-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Ever stop to think that there are a lot of us that do own a number of manuals? Having 50 manuals is not going to provide all the information needed to reload every caliber, bullet combination. Been loading for 40+ years and yes I know that makes me old but it still makes me realize that I still do not have all the answers and therefore I may resort to asking someone elses opinions and such.

I'm not saying you should never ask a question, see my previous post on how to ask a question, but some of these questions come across like these people have never even seen a load manual. I assume if you have 50, way more than I, you have a number that deal with cast boolits and will be an excellent resource for answering these questions.

I worry that some of these questions are asked by people who wouldn't know what a pressure sign is, and maybe don't own a scale or caliper. People such as your self obviously know all the basics and use the proper safety precautions but what if someone who doesn't know what he is doing takes some load data he found on the internet and has a horrific accident. We all will suffer the bad press and consequences.

I just think it is prudent to try to insure that people know what they are doing before we give them information that improperly used could hurt them or others.

Mooseman
01-01-2013, 05:49 PM
I'm not saying you should never ask a question, see my previous post on how to ask a question, but some of these questions come across like these people have never even seen a load manual. I assume if you have 50, way more than I, you have a number that deal with cast boolits and will be an excellent resource for answering these questions.

I worry that some of these questions are asked by people who wouldn't know what a pressure sign is, and maybe don't own a scale or caliper. People such as your self obviously know all the basics and use the proper safety precautions but what if someone who doesn't know what he is doing takes some load data he found on the internet and has a horrific accident. We all will suffer the bad press and consequences.

I just think it is prudent to try to insure that people know what they are doing before we give them information that improperly used could hurt them or others.

This is exactly the reason we need to TEACH them and share our knowlege and warn them so they do it right. Why have all this experience in one place and keep it to ouselves? I say you take them under your wing and you become a mentor to them unless you are one of those "push the envelope" loaders that scare me to death. Have we turned into a society where we dont help those who ask for advice or knowledge? If so, then why are you a member of this forum ? You are here to either gain knowledge, share knowledge, or cause trouble and complain...The latter is not acceptable !
Rich

firefly1957
01-01-2013, 06:46 PM
Roosters Thanks i forgot to add the chain pulling! :kidding:

gray wolf
01-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Some folks miss the whole point i guess.
I don't think this is about not helping anyone or not sharing what we know.

MtGun44
01-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Tracy,

Well said. Thanks.

Happy New Year - everyone.

Bill

Hardcast416taylor
01-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Now that's just funny!

Hardcast, what part of the thumb are you in?

About 40 miles East of Flint and about 90 miles North of DEEEETROIT.Robert

MT Gianni
01-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Cast Pics has 3 or 4 old load manuals, 9 loading pamphlets and an electronic load data base. It is our sister site and a link is located on every page. I wonder how many have never been to it.
In 1990 I decided to replace the Lee scale everyone told me was junk. I bought a new lyman. I went to the range the first shot was a little high and the second stuck the bolt. May in Western MT 60 F or so. I took the loads home and broke them down. A gun show was coming up and I left there with w LY check weight set. My new Ly scale was weighing 46 gr as 44 gr. My Lee scale varied by less than 1/10 gr from 1-99 gr. I no longer own the replacement scale. I dipped 25 loads this afternoon on my LY DPMS, @ 9 gr I varied from 8.7. to 9.3 gr with a full dipper. Someone might be shooting max load and dipping. My point is why should you assume that my loads will work in your guns or be safe in them. No two of us have identical loading and casting equipment.
In the second edition of the Lee loading manual is a description of how to develop reduced loads with rifle powders. It is not in the data so many missed it. It is worth reading and developing especially of one has 5 lbs of rifle powder they want to use. There is math involved but not enough for rocket surgery.

Sweetpea
01-01-2013, 08:35 PM
About 40 miles East of Flint and about 90 miles North of DEEEETROIT.Robert

by my best guess, you're somewhere's around where there was this '76 station that sold an awful lot of ice cream...

I grew up a bit north of there, but I haven't been back in almost 15 years.

NVScouter
01-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Ok Snuffy I see a fellow RAH fan and you and Grey Wolf have great points. Where is the line between asking intelligently and groveling?

blackthorn
01-02-2013, 01:34 PM
MT Gianni said "My point is why should you assume that my loads will work in your guns or be safe in them. No two of us have identical loading and casting equipment."

And that right there is why we need to be real sure (or at least have confidence) of the competence level of whom ever is asking a question! The "what's a good load for my 357" question, setting out there all by its lonesome self does NOT leave one (at least me) with ANY level of confidence in the questiner's ability NOT TO BLOW HIM/HERSLF UP! At the very least a poster could preface the question with a statement such as "I have been loading for ..... years but-----" or "I tried the search function but---" It would be helpful to know what firearm (make, model, rifle, handgun, etc.) as well. Without some indication of where the person is ability wise, I am very unlikely to just hand over specific information on the loads that I use (even though I seldom push the envelope)!!

badgeredd
01-02-2013, 08:52 PM
B I N G O !!!!

I apologize for causing such a furor. I vented. BUT I see by many responses, that I am not just one in 25,000. My goal was/is to get people to think their questions thru. I'll help anyone I can as is evidenced by a bunch of my past posts. Call me whatever suits you, but I want to feel a little confidence that the poster has some idea of what he is doing and furthermore is willing to do the work to get the results. Perhaps I shouldn't ask that, but that is how I was taught some 40 odd years ago when I started this thing of making my own ammo.

Edd

starmac
01-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Well I purchased yet another cast boolit handbook yesterday, (latest and greatest) and still don't have loads for lots of heavy for caliber loads. GROAN.

captaint
01-03-2013, 08:53 AM
WOW !! I don't frequent too many webwsites, but this one right here has the most pleasantly helpful people I've ever encountered. I really don't mind questions like "what's the best boolit for the 30-30? " Or - Hey, anybody ever tried this boolit (and maybe powder charge).. But the ol "how about a good load for my .357?" stuff gets tiresome sometimes. If a guy has a copy of just one good loading manual and a copy of Ken Waters Pet Loads, the complete edition - I don't know how on earth he would need to ask anything. We do all need to get that loading manual and READ the doggone thing. That's how I learned, most of us probably did. You're a great bunch. Mike

6bg6ga
01-03-2013, 09:01 AM
WOW !! I don't frequent too many webwsites, but this one right here has the most pleasantly helpful people I've ever encountered. I really don't mind questions like "what's the best boolit for the 30-30? " Or - Hey, anybody ever tried this boolit (and maybe powder charge).. But the ol "how about a good load for my .357?" stuff gets tiresome sometimes. If a guy has a copy of just one good loading manual and a copy of Ken Waters Pet Loads, the complete edition - I don't know how on earth he would need to ask anything. We do all need to get that loading manual and READ the doggone thing. That's how I learned, most of us probably did. You're a great bunch. Mike

We all need to vent ...you do it and so do I. Its hard to keep a smile on your face when dealing with the general public.

After reading this post I still have the idea in my mind that its not as simple as buying this or that particular manual because there isn't one with all the answers in it. If there is then please scan me a page from the 45acp data because I would like to start loading some 250-255gr rn in my 45acp. I have enough manuals and at this point in time do not feel the need to purchase any more.

badgeredd
01-03-2013, 10:21 AM
We all need to vent ...you do it and so do I. Its hard to keep a smile on your face when dealing with the general public.

After reading this post I still have the idea in my mind that its not as simple as buying this or that particular manual because there isn't one with all the answers in it. If there is then please scan me a page from the 45acp data because I would like to start loading some 250-255gr rn in my 45acp. I have enough manuals and at this point in time do not feel the need to purchase any more.

45ACP from Speer 12th Edition manual with a 260 grain jacketed bullet, tested @COL=1.200, firearm used=Sig P-220:

Herco 6.3--6.9 gr
231 5.4--5.9 gr
Unique 5.8--6.3 gr
Green Dot 5.3--5.8 gr
SR7625 5.1--5.6 gr
RedDot 4.6--5.0 gr
700X 4.4--4.9 gr
Bullseye 4.7--5.2 gr

Start at the base load and work up.

For the record, I have no problem with this type of question...but I'd expect a fellow to be able to apply the principal to other cartridges in the future. I know we don't all have 20+ years of experience under our belts...so there will be questions. I routinely use this method with cast boolits to get started. I load and have loaded a lot of wildcat cartridges so I have been working up data for years. The one thing that is universal, be safe. Start with a known load at a reduced charge and work up.

I recently built a wildcat on a Mosin bed in .416 Russian Express. There is no data anywhere...since I concocted the cartridge. By careful interpolation of some existing data for other cartridges and Quickload I have load data. It just takes patience and time and some work. I'm getting 2300fps out of it with a 345 grain boolit and have not yet tested to its maximum. Really I see no reason to go faster since there is plenty of energy and good (MOA) accuracy. To date I have used a 385 grain boolit and a paper patched 400 grain boolit. The later at 1800 fps, the former at 2150fps.
Fun gun but it will wear a guy down.

Edd

6bg6ga
01-03-2013, 10:29 AM
45ACP from Speer 12th Edition manual with a 260 grain jacketed bullet, tested @COL=1.200, firearm used=Sig P-220:

Herco 6.3--6.9 gr
231 5.4--5.9 gr
Unique 5.8--6.3 gr
Green Dot 5.3--5.8 gr
SR7625 5.1--5.6 gr
RedDot 4.6--5.0 gr
700X 4.4--4.9 gr
Bullseye 4.7--5.2 gr

Start at the base load and work up.

For the record, I have no problem with this type of question...but I'd expect a fellow to be able to apply the principal to other cartridges in the future. I know we don't all have 20+ years of experience under our belts...so there will be questions. I routinely use this method with cast boolits to get started. I load and have loaded a lot of wildcat cartridges so I have been working up data for years. The one thing that is universal, be safe. Start with a known load at a reduced charge and work up.

I recently built a wildcat on a Mosin bed in .416 Russian Express. There is no data anywhere...since I concocted the cartridge. By careful interpolation of some existing data for other cartridges and Quickload I have load data. It just takes patience and time and some work. I'm getting 2300fps out of it with a 345 grain boolit and have not yet tested to its maximum. Really I see no reason to go faster since there is plenty of energy and good (MOA) accuracy. To date I have used a 385 grain boolit and a paper patched 400 grain boolit. The later at 1800 fps, the former at 2150fps.
Fun gun but it will wear a guy down.

Edd

I have all that data but thank you. My comments were aimed at this .....Quote: If a guy has a copy of just one good loading manual and a copy of Ken Waters Pet Loads, the complete edition - I don't know how on earth he would need to ask anything. We do all need to get that loading manual and READ the doggone thing. That's how I learned, most of us probably did. You're a great bunch. Mike .

My comments were meant to point out that the reloading books do not have all the answers and when looking into the darkness and trying something like the 250-255gr bullet in a 45acp you are entering new territory which might prompt someone to ask a person with experience "How do I do this?"

William Yanda
01-03-2013, 10:38 AM
....make a sandwich.
Don't you mean; "bring a sandwich, and the beverage of choice-you know, the good stuff, not the cheap stuff?"

William Yanda
01-03-2013, 10:54 AM
If so, was he alone, and if not, was he even speaking to any others present?
Bill

William Yanda
01-03-2013, 10:58 AM
JonB and Rob S
Thanks for the assist.
I have had less than stellar results from the search function before.
Your posts are helpful.
Thanks again.

Bill

RobS
01-03-2013, 11:09 AM
No problem Bill

William Yanda
01-03-2013, 11:12 AM
"I apologize for causing such a furor. I vented."
No apology required. You told us you were venting, you did not flame anyone and you limited your target to a valid few-the lazy.
Responses were thoughtful-take care in phrasing the question, give us enough info so that we don't have to make guesses in composing our answers, to chain pulling responses. The posted answers helped me and others to utilize the search function more effectively. I too feel that an answer which causes the op to think his way to a conclusion is more effective than a short statement as a response. Forgive me for poking fun in my previous replies.
Bill

drklynoon
01-03-2013, 12:04 PM
LOl this is a humorous thread concerned with a real problem in forums. I have belonged and participated in many forums. I am a car and baseball guy as well as a caster/reloader. As such I have seen this thread quite a few times. Someone get irratated because someone posted a thread to a question that has been asked a million times or is considered common knowledge; in the cast realm this includes info contained in numerous reloading manuals and this begins a chain of comments ranging from upset question askers and others who are irritated by answering the same questions. Inevitably, someone mentions the search function aspect of the site. My point is that this problem exists every where. New people irritate people who have been on the forum for years. Some see this as elitism or just more of the same generational differences. I am here to tell you that it is not generational. Some people will give you the back in my day speech at the drop of any ol' sombrero and they are about 40% full of it. There were plenty of "lazy" people in the 50's or earlier. My grandfather use to complain about them all the time. So it is not generational. It is however, a product of different levels of experience. The beauty of a forum is that it brings all of us together. Instead of trying to separate people by experience let us try and work together. The search function answer is relevant; however, if it is pushed too frequently it will kill a forum. Almost all things have been discussed here previously and to rely solely on the search would limit almost all posts to banter about the weather and such. If a question irritates you or you feel you are above answering it than don't reply, just move on.

nobody
01-03-2013, 12:13 PM
And just how do the moderators keep from going off the deep end with the same repeated questions? Those guys must have the patience of a saint!

6bg6ga
01-03-2013, 12:37 PM
LOl this is a humorous thread concerned with a real problem in forums. I have belonged and participated in many forums. I am a car and baseball guy as well as a caster/reloader. As such I have seen this thread quite a few times. Someone get irratated because someone posted a thread to a question that has been asked a million times or is considered common knowledge; in the cast realm this includes info contained in numerous reloading manuals and this begins a chain of comments ranging from upset question askers and others who are irritated by answering the same questions. Inevitably, someone mentions the search function aspect of the site. My point is that this problem exists every where. New people irritate people who have been on the forum for years. Some see this as elitism or just more of the same generational differences. I am here to tell you that it is not generational. Some people will give you the back in my day speech at the drop of any ol' sombrero and they are about 40% full of it. There were plenty of "lazy" people in the 50's or earlier. My grandfather use to complain about them all the time. So it is not generational. It is however, a product of different levels of experience. The beauty of a forum is that it brings all of us together. Instead of trying to separate people by experience let us try and work together. The search function answer is relevant; however, if it is pushed too frequently it will kill a forum. Almost all things have been discussed here previously and to rely solely on the search would limit almost all posts to banter about the weather and such. If a question irritates you or you feel you are above answering it than don't reply, just move on.

Your absolutely right about stuff being repeated time and time again. Just take a look in the Star equipment section and see how many threads there are about bullet lube being on the nose of a bullet and it can make you climb the wall. Setting up a Star/Magma bullet sizer lubricator is easy even for the people without any prior experience and well if they had read the simple instructions that are available on the internet there wouldn't be any questions at all but yet we answer them with the patience of a saint. Now, reloading takes the information that is available in the manuals plus knowledge of how to interpret signs of excessive pressure and just plain common sense. One also has to realize that the information that is available in the manuals can and does seem to change over the years. We also know that excessive pressure can be present in an undercharge as well as a maximum or near maximum charge. Now if we fool around with seating depths we can change pressures again. To deep and the pressure rises and does the possibility of blowing the damn gun up along with ourselves.

Maybe there ought to be a section entitled stupid dumb *** questions and all the questions fall into that catagory will be asked there.There is one problem with that in that we would be back to square 1 again with that portion of the forum receiving all the new threads and were still answering the same questions.

I also belong to several car forums as well as gun forums as well as audio forums as well as having my own audio forum so I also realize that the questions can make a person uneasy after a while but they are by no means the end of any forum. People need the ability to pat themselves on the back and give themselves an attboy for giving the correct answer, self gratification you know. This and all the other forums seem to satisfy that need for self gratification otherwise none of us would be here. On my forum I tell people don't be afraid to ask questions. That should be what a forum is about in my humble opinion.

waksupi
01-03-2013, 02:19 PM
It isn't easy to find a topic here. There are over 132,000 threads, and 1,700,000+ posts.
If a topic heading is not spelled correctly, or not directly related to the topic, that makes it harder to do a search.
With new people coming on board every day, it is all new to them. At our current growth rate, we will gain another 7000+ members this year.
There is no way we could ever put all of the related posts under one heading. Some times someone will find a thread from years ago, and revive it. That makes a lot of sense to me, but there is always someone complaining about how old the thread was.
Information doesn't change, and it makes sense to put it in a related topic if possible.
Using the Google-foo is most times the best way to search for info here, and be prepared for an overwhelming amount of links.
If people would bother to go through all of the stickies, they will find the majority of what they seek.

colt 357
01-03-2013, 08:25 PM
I am guilty of this I just got my Lyman cast boolits handbook. But it don't always have loads in it for all the powders for a certain boolit. I have alway got great information on were to starts my loads on a new boolit or caliber. You folks have save me a lot of ton money and greef on getting to were I need to be for a certain load. Then I can get to the bussiness at hand Having fun shooting with my 15 yr old son and my wife. Some times it my seem like you our running in circles but I would not be were I am today without you. Now I have finally talk a friend of mine into casting and I well be passing what I learned onto him. so keep helping us as we need your help. THANK YOU ALL

leeggen
04-04-2013, 12:31 AM
search engines don't always give good answers. Just punch in casting for 40 cal. Enter that anyway you want, you'll get very few pages that are related to the 40 cal. lots of threads that are not even related to it. Some of us new members are not as long term forum as you others. we just don't know how to exactly ask the search info. So we ask " the repeated question", not to agravate others just to get some resonable answers. We just want some simple help.
Thanks for all the good info guys we do appreciate all your time and patence.
CD

missionary5155
04-04-2013, 06:29 AM
Good morning

Maybe we should start a "Best Loads section" .
Example... I shoot some odd calibers that you do not see in everyones closet. I would not mind posting those results under a caliber heading. Even common calibers.. new members and lurkers pop in and wonder "is it possible to shoot cast in the 414 Supermag ?
I have done searches here till I was blue in the rear trying to find any info. Then have to wade through two hours of posts just to discover there is no easy to find help even here.
I agree it gets tiresome to keep writing the same info on 44WCF alias 44-40 but then I remember the day I was asking about the 50-95.
So maybe a board dedicated by caliber to loads that work.
Mike in Peru

I just looked at the date of the origonal post... 3 months and counting.. I thought there was something familiar here. Well anyway it seems to ba a condition we need to address somehow that is easy to access but also is not a crutch to the lazy. Mike again

captaint
04-04-2013, 08:56 AM
I think what frustrates some of (myself included) the guys is the number of people that are new
to reloading that don't even have a manual. Haven't read anything on the subject. I have spent some time on the "1911 Forum". In the reloading section there, I can guarantee you some guys
have gone out and gotten a new Dillon and want to reload - now. Don't have a manual, haven't done any reading on the subject. "How much should I crimp my 45ACP's??". And they don't know
what a taper crimp is. Scary. End of rant. Mike

gray wolf
04-04-2013, 09:44 AM
What we need is some way to at least verify that a person did a little work. The internet is NOT a substitute for a load manual, it's also not a substitute for a phone call to a powder company.
What it is --is a way to enable people to just keep on keeping on with having other people do there work for them and they learn nothing,
I don't care how new they are, I care they are new and want to see them get old.
It's not that hard to tell if a person did a little work and now needs some help.
But most some folks just want to put there hands up like kids in school with the right answer.
I no, I no ( hand in air ) then others follow. They pat themselves on the back and the OP learns nothing. This topic has been beat to death. You keep giving out candy and people will keep showing an empty hand.
Lord knows this is a helping forum, people bend over backwards to help others
But I didn't thing it was set up to enable folks to stay unlearned in there do for me little world.
At least ask the question in a way that make people THINK you did a little to help yourself,
be a little creative for crying out loud.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-04-2013, 10:29 AM
search engines don't always give good answers. Just punch in casting for 40 cal. Enter that anyway you want, you'll get very few pages that are related to the 40 cal. lots of threads that are not even related to it. Some of us new members are not as long term forum as you others. we just don't know how to exactly ask the search info. So we ask " the repeated question", not to agravate others just to get some resonable answers. We just want some simple help.
Thanks for all the good info guys we do appreciate all your time and patence.
CD
This isn't just for you CD, it's for anyone looking for a cast boolit load. At the bottom of this page, click on "cast pics". then click on "load data" in the left column, the click on "load data lookup". then type in the caliber in the field called "cartridge contains". then click on "search"

Here is my results from a 15 second trip there, I typed "40 S" and got 53 Loads for 40 Smith & Wesson, most are for cast boolits...the few others are for plated projectiles.
http://www.castpics.net/project2/CastDatalist.php?start=1

Now isn't that easy ?
Jon

ranger1962
04-04-2013, 10:49 AM
WHERE I don't have anyone close to ask questions of
There are a few shops that handle some reloading stuff.
So being able to ask questions of someone is a blessing, books are good buy you can't beat
first hand knowledge.
If there is anyone in my area that casts I would really like to know Thanks Bill in Eastland.Co TEXAS

gray wolf
04-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Yes, first hand knowledge is great, But a good foundation from books will set the stage for your
own knowledge base. With that you can discern if the first hand info from others is true or false.
You could get first hand info from 10 different people that most times goes like this:
"Well this is what I do" Is it correct ? or just what works for someone else ??

garym1a2
04-04-2013, 12:15 PM
I would like to see one thread on blackout and one thread on cast in 223/556 for ar15.

Good morning

Maybe we should start a "Best Loads section" .
Example... I shoot some odd calibers that you do not see in everyones closet. I would not mind posting those results under a caliber heading. Even common calibers.. new members and lurkers pop in and wonder "is it possible to shoot cast in the 414 Supermag ?
I have done searches here till I was blue in the rear trying to find any info. Then have to wade through two hours of posts just to discover there is no easy to find help even here.
I agree it gets tiresome to keep writing the same info on 44WCF alias 44-40 but then I remember the day I was asking about the 50-95.
So maybe a board dedicated by caliber to loads that work.
Mike in Peru

I just looked at the date of the origonal post... 3 months and counting.. I thought there was something familiar here. Well anyway it seems to ba a condition we need to address somehow that is easy to access but also is not a crutch to the lazy. Mike again

MT Gianni
04-04-2013, 07:23 PM
I would like to see one thread on blackout and one thread on cast in 223/556 for ar15.

Unfortunately even if there were a best loads section, there would still be posts in almost ever other area of the board on these same questions. The related rant is that a few of those posters never check back on it after the first 2 hours. I am assuming that you have visited "Cast Bullets your favorite cartridge loads"?

badgeredd
04-06-2013, 05:09 PM
I started this thread at the end of last year (literally) and I am surprised it is still hanging in there. On the plus side, I've seen some people have actually read it and learned a thing or two from the replies to my rant. THAT was my primary motivation for posting it in the first place.

BTW I just purchased a 38-40 Low Wall...any one have data...:kidding: Actually I found good data to get me started on Castpics at the bottom of the page and several other sights including Hodgdon's website. And in some very old manuals. The problem with the data I have found is a large portion of it doesn't say whether it is rifle or pistol data. Another problem is some is for jacketed bullets. By applying many of the techniques given in this thread, I am getting some good loads that shoot well.

Edd

runfiverun
04-06-2013, 06:27 PM
edd!
it don't matter if it's rifle or revolver the cartridge has a saai maximum pressure.
I have a handful or 5 of some nice 180 gr rnfps with a crimp groove that do right well in 'modern' 38-40 barrels over 7.5 grs of unique.
sadly I don't have a 38-40.

TXGunNut
04-06-2013, 07:01 PM
When I ask about a load I generally have a few loads in mind from my research and sometimes from my personal experience. Sometimes I'm wanting to try something that might work better or I'm trying a new component. I'm getting ready to revisit the recipe for my 45 Colt hunting load but will consult no less than 4 manuals and at least two websites as well as my notebook before I ask for input here.
OTOH some newbies are overwhelmed by the wealth of info available from manuals and websites and just want one load that has worked well for someone. I also understand that some folks have problems absorbing direction from a loading manual and just need things explained another way.
I take my turn over on TFL answering newbie reloading questions from time to time because you or I may be shooting next to them next weekend. I also want them to learn how to do it right and enjoy their new hobby. I don't have much to offer about casting other than basics, safety and enthusiasm but I still like reading threads started by newbies. More than once I've figured out I was doing it wrong or learned something interesting.

PULSARNC
04-06-2013, 07:11 PM
I too have occasionally asked for load advice on the forum ,not trying to be lazy or anything .I have multiple loading manuals and have been loading since 1995 with the j-words.The cast things are a recent ,last 2 years, obsession so I ask those more knowing than I to try to prevent having to reinvent the wheel.So far everyone has been most helpful for which I thank all the members who have replied to any of my posts .

fatnhappy
04-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Seems a bit extreme to leave the forum because of one mans opinion out of 25,000+.
But if that's how you feel so be it. I've never seen anyone outright refuse to help anyone here, not ever.

I have and he's on the banned list.

Lance Boyle
04-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Wow, this is a good discussion thread. I don't find that it's bickering, it pretty much lets us hash things out and think just a little more and see more from others frame of reference.

I have over 25 years of reloading experience but I'm relatively new to casting. I know I searched and I probably asked stupid basic questions such as what's a good place to start for .38 level loads using .357 cases. I also did a lot of google searches that brought me here, S&W forum, the Smith AND Wesson forum, the Colt forum and others. There I picked up stuff i wouldn't have from a manual, like some bullet molds will cast boolits too long for some cylinders unless you use .38 cases or seat deeper than the cannalure. That kind of extra experience info is so very valuable to a new jack. Wouldn't it really suck to buy a new $90 mold for your .357 and find out after you load some up that your cylinder won't close on them?

On the flip side of the argument; i've seen it on other gun boards way worse than here, particularly ar15.com where you OFTEN get the new reloader who brazenly states he doesn't have time to work up a load and just wants a good full power nato load for his 77 grain OTM Sierras to have what the special forces guys have. Those are the guys that scare me. They don't know a lot of what they don't know! These are always the guys that want the max speed load in mixed cases and wants it to be accurate, fast and safe. Kind of like the mold makers mantra; sure you can have fast, cheap, and high quality.......but only 2 of them at a time.

I can be one of the guilty ones sometimes throwing in my 2 cents to hear myself speak. Normally on other sites I have enough experience to back my opinion. Here with casting, I'm a more knowledgeable beginner yet. Like was mentioned by someone in the thread early on, you have to unlearn a lot of what you know when you get into cast boolit loading. In the 80's I would have looked at you like you had six heads and were dancing naked in the road if you said red dot or unique was a good .30-06 powder. I might have even chastised you for spreading such foolhardy notions because that's how good guns get blowed up using pistol powder in a rifle!

TheCelt
04-14-2013, 07:34 PM
I have NUMEROUS load manuals and data going back 40 years. Some of the sources mention cast boolits in passing and may even list one or two loads for a specific boolit but not much. They list data for J-word bullets primarily. Even the Lyman cast Boolit handbooks cover only their molds.

For some of the less popular cast boolit calibers and newer molds there is no published data. That's were the knowledge and experience of the group becomes invaluable.

I have a NOE 338 bullet mold that I want to use in a Savage 116 338 Win Mag. There is very little published data for this cartrige and cast boolits. If someone can tell me what has worked, and what has not worked for them thay can save me a lot of heartache (and time and money)!!! I don't want to avoid researching a load but sure do appreciate someone steering me down the right path!!!