PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 Takedown

Down South
12-31-2012, 01:13 PM
I decided to get myself a new 22 rifle and started looking for a Ruger 10/22 Takedown. Well, I found out quick this would not be an easy task other than buying one off Gunbroker for way more than they normally sell for. I was about ready to give up and decided to call a few small gun shops in the Houston area.
I had called Bass Pro first and they told me they didn't have a Ruger 10/22 period. So, I got on the internet and dug up a few phone numbers for some smaller shops. one shop I called said yup, we have one. I was almost shocked so I asked just how many do you have? The guy says, two. I ask, how much? he tells me $349. I said, I'll take one. He said, you can come by this afternoon and buy it. I thought for a second and said, I've got a better idea. I'll buy it now over the phone and come in this afternoon and do the paperwork. So I bought it.
$349 is still higher than the $299 sales I saw earlier in the year but it sure beats the $450+ many are asking. Don't believe me, check Gunbroker. All I can say is WOW. I would not pay Gun Brokers prices for one of these.

7Acres
12-31-2012, 04:43 PM
Back in November I found one a gun shop was selling in another state. My wife wanted to get it for me for Christmas. I told her she better let me handle the purchase because of the ffl routine plus she's never bought a gun before. She insisted I just let her handle it. So I gave in and what did I find under the tree this year? A shiny new Ruger 10/22 Takedown! What can I say? I guess I married well.

DCP
12-31-2012, 09:24 PM
The $299 is Rugers MSRP for the black model
The same thing is happening to the S&W Shield but it price should come down.

I just dont know on the Ruger 10/22 Takedown, it is supposed to be on the AWB list because it has a detachable mag and they made them over 10 rounds.

Down South
01-01-2013, 01:25 AM
The $299 is Rugers MSRP for the black model
The same thing is happening to the S&W Shield but it price should come down.

I just dont know on the Ruger 10/22 Takedown, it is supposed to be on the AWB list because it has a detachable mag and they made them over 10 rounds.
Yes, I know. I talked to my buddy at the gun shop back home this morning when I bought this one. He believed that he could sell me the same gun for about $60 or so cheaper but he can't get one. I might could have waited but at present, this was as good of a deal that I would find and I was surprised that I even found one local period much less finding one less than $350.
I checked Rugers web site and they suggest $389 for the black model now, link below. I guess the future will tell but I have a bad feeling about this one. I'm talking general here, about a lot of firearms.
http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html

The Bozo's in Washington are going to make a move and a strong one against our gun rights. I should have got off my lazy butt and got this 22 well before all of the trouble started.
I wish that I could find one good 25 rd mag like the BX-25 for it but everybody is out of stock. I might try the backorder bit but I saw one leading on line site stating it would be towards the end of May before they had any. Standard mags are still available so I will pick up an extra or two.

BTW, the guy said he had two of the takedown's but only had one.

I paid for the rifle today and went over to pick it up about 2:00 this afternoon. The gun shop could not get any background checks approved. The shop was kept on hold for 4hrs and finally had to close for the day so the rifle is still there. Hopefully by sometime Wednesday, they can get through.

Since I got to spend a few hrs browsing around the shop, I was in this very gun shop before all of this mess started. They had a large selection of all kinds of firearms including black guns then. Now, the shelves for semi auto hand guns and black guns were about empty. I saw one AR looking rifle and that was it. The pistol counter didn't look a whole lot better.
Even though I heard a lot of the typical BS from the guys behind the counter, "The know it all about every kind of gun crew" I felt a little sorry for them. They were packed with customers asking all kinds of questions, a few I had to chuckle at.
They did have a few boxes of 22's, nothing in bulk and what they had was over priced.

starmac
01-01-2013, 01:53 AM
Down South, they may be gone now, but the last time I was in sportsmans here they had the 25 round mags for the 10/22's. I can check if you want. I will also look through my stuff, I bought one once, but think I might have chunked it long ago.

Down South
01-01-2013, 02:19 AM
I appreciate that Starmac. Don't go to a lot of trouble though.

Thanks, Sam

starmac
01-01-2013, 02:29 AM
I'll try to get over their tomorrow. I just noticed they had a rack ful the other day, but as crazy as people have gotten they may well be all gone. lol
I have several of the factory 10 round ones and prefer them, for my use.

Down South
01-01-2013, 02:40 AM
I just ordered a couple of the regular mags. They were in stock at Midway as bad as I used to hate to order from them. Their S&H charges used to be next to highway robbery but it wasn't bad this time. If you happen to go by the place that may have a few of the higher capacity mags, pick up one and I'll be glad to pay for it, your trouble and shipping.

Glad I didn't go to bed earlier. All the fireworks are still going. I guess that's city life for you. I'm an old country boy and I'll be glad to get back to my little house on the lake out in the country for good some day.

Thanks, Sam

DCP
01-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Wow

Ruger raises their MSRP from $299.00 to $389
Thats just plain nuts(not what I really want to say)

From Down South
I checked Rugers web site and they suggest $389 for the black model now, link below. I guess the future will tell but I have a bad feeling about this one. I'm talking general here, about a lot of firearms.
http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html

starmac
01-01-2013, 03:33 PM
I went to wallmart this morning, actually went to sportsmans, butbthey were opening late today. lol

Wallmart was out of the 25 round mags, but had the ruger 10 rounders in black and clear, they also had a blue and wood 10/22 on the shelf 280 something. I asked about the take down as they had them the last time I was there. He said he had some in back and would be bring a couple up in a few minutes, price was 309.00

Down South
01-01-2013, 05:00 PM
That's a good price. I'm glad it isn't as crazy up there as it is down here. Don't worry about the Mags Starmac. I ordered a couple of the black ones for spare. I'm a lot like you as the regular mags would most likely fit my needs better. I was just wanting one of the high cap mags to store in the bag with the gun.

On another subject. I stay in an RV Resort here in Houston as well as a number of other folks. You would be surprised how many do as I do, live in an RV away from home and work over here.
Anyway some of the folks who stay here know I'm a hand loader. I've been hit up twice since yesterday to load .223 ammo. One guy bought a new AR a couple months ago and told me last night he didn't have the first round of ammo for it. Sometimes, I just have to shake my head. He offered to purchase reloads from me. I told him I'd see. [smilie=1:
Another guy who just told me he works for the local Ford Dealership is willing to trade WW for bullets. I have known this guy for over a year, he knows I'm a caster and all of a sudden now, he wants to let me know he has access to lead and would be glad to exchange "Buckets Full" for .223 ammo. [smilie=1: That deal, I'll take up.
Don't worry, I won't leave them in a bind but my best advice is if they want ammo, they need to be out scrounging it up.
Got another neighbor who just decided last week what I've been saying a long time was a good idea, if things get bad, us guys with reloading equipment and components will be sitting better that the guys with all of the gold. He decided to buy a bunch of reloading equipment last week but was having a hard time finding what he needed. And of course, he wants me to teach him to reload which I don't have a problem with, actually I enjoy that doing that type of teaching.

starmac
01-01-2013, 05:16 PM
The last time we had an official Obummer ammo shortage up here, it was months before some ammo became available again. The local SW sold a guy a 45 colt and tried for several weeks to find even one box of ammo of any kind. It was determined that there was no 45 colt in any store in the state. lol My SIL had just inherited a 45 and no ammo. luckily I had some and we have since loaded up on components for it, along with a mold.

MT Gianni
01-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Down South, I would tell someone they need to get the primers unless you had a great stock of them.

Down South
01-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Down South, I would tell someone they need to get the primers unless you had a great stock of them.
I agree, they need to get them but I do have a great stock of primers. But it would be best if they purchased some for themselves. I have enough in stock that I could sell them some for what I have in them. I'd be willing to bet SR or 5.56 primers are in short supply right now too. I might go look around in a bit.
I just walked back in to take a break. I'm finishing up deboning, cutting up, tenderizing and vacuum sealing a deer that I've been soaking in ice water for the past week. All I have left is the neck and front shoulders to process. It won't take me long to finish. I'll cut the neck in half for two roasts and debone the sholders then freeze that meat for later grinding up for burger.

starmac
01-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Well I went to sportsmans, no 25 round mags for the 10/22 now, and I didn't ask, but there were no 10/22's on their rack that I could see. They must have restocked federal primers in the last week, but either didn't get lp primers or they sold quick, plenty of everything else. Not a lot of bulk ammo left for 22's either

I didn't find you a mag, Down South, but you owe me 35.88 anyhow. I read a thread here that said not to ask about loads so I wound up with the new cast boolit hand book, and a new ramrod, just because. lol

Down South
01-02-2013, 08:08 AM
LOL, I was looking at new reloading manuals the other day while waiting on th ebackground check to come through. I was trying to decide if I needed a new manual. I've got at least 4 maybe 5 but I could always use another.

captaint
01-02-2013, 10:55 AM
On that Midway subject - I think they have "adjusted" their shipping & handling charges. For quite a while there, I wouldn't order from them, period. Lately, I needed something only they had and the shipping & handling was pretty realistic. So - OK. We'll keep them in the loop, for now.
enjoy Mike

DLCTEX
01-02-2013, 12:34 PM
On that Midway subject - I think they have "adjusted" their shipping & handling charges. For quite a while there, I wouldn't order from them, period. Lately, I needed something only they had and the shipping & handling was pretty realistic. So - OK. We'll keep them in the loop, for now.
enjoy Mike

I had the same experience recently. I needed AR parts and Midway was the only place that had them in stock. I was pleasantly surprised at the new shipping rates. Not quiet on par with Graf's, but closer. Still looking for a lower. I refused to pay $300 for one that was red and white, found some ploymer that I hesitated on and they sold before I made up my mind.

RMK79
01-03-2013, 10:56 AM
How is the accuracy of the 10/22 takedown model compared to the standard 10/22?

starmac
01-03-2013, 07:30 PM
I was at Fred Myers today and there were 7 10/22s on their rack, 3 synthetic and four wood and blue. They must have gotten some more in. Their racks were full but no ar's except some ar looking 22s.