PDA

View Full Version : Re-swaging lead boolits during loading

jschluter
12-31-2012, 01:11 PM
I hope this is the correct forum for this but here goes. New to cast boolit shooting and have read enough to be dangerous. I've slugged the barrel and plan to use boolits swaged 0.000 to 0.002" oversize (groove diameter). And the final case mouth diameter will be 0.001-0.002" undersize w/o a crimp since I will be using a 1874 Sharps single shot (45-70). My question concerns re-swaging this soft (20:1 to 30:1) bullet driving bands when they're inserted into the interference fit past the entry bell of the prepared case. I might be able to seat the boolit out so that some of the properly sized driving bands are exposed for the initial seal before the milliseconds pass for proper obturation and to minimize freebore, but what if all of the bands are seated in the case? Is this a problem or am I thinking too much? And if it is a real problem, do I size the case mouth to a slip fit or what? I haven't seen any discussion on this in my searches so I'm looking for some expertise to decide whether to worry or not. Thanks

nhrifle
12-31-2012, 01:49 PM
The Sharps is easy to load for, most rifles take a bit of experimentation to find what will shoot well in them. If you are shooting grease groove boolits over black powder, there shouldn't be a problem. Even if the boolit is reduced in diameter when seated into the case, the bump from the powder charge going off will slug the projectile up to fill the bore. I don't think smokeless powder will have the same effect, I have not shot enough smokeless in my 45/70 to know. Another thing to consider is loading original style paper patch rounds. Boolits are smooth-sided and patched to bore or slightly under, and sit on a full case of black powder. This is how I shoot mine and the accuracy is outstanding and the power level these rounds can achieve will surprise you. If you need any advice, feel free to PM me.

wv109323
12-31-2012, 02:04 PM
The interference fit can be a problem but may not be. Measure the case diameter before you seat a bullet . Seat the bullet and then re-measure the case. It depends on the hardness of your lead ( I have no experience with your lead alloy) but the bullet will usually expand the brass. The 45-70 brass is thinner than most rifle brass. You may actually see the brass expansion in a loaded round.
If you have a bullet puller you could seat a bullet then pull it and remeasure it to see if it was distorted.
Of course the ultimate is to fire a few rounds and observe the accuracy. I don't think it will be a problem.

runfiverun
12-31-2012, 02:18 PM
20-1 has the same bhn as ww alloy.
they behave differently under pressure though.
by using the oversized boolit that gives you the option of letting the case [reloading dies] size it down slightly.
seating the boolit out of the case will help align it with the bbl more than add any sealing property's [although i have seen boolits only seal at the front bands do well]
i'd shoot what you have before looking for a problem.