PDA

View Full Version : LeatherTreatment

Alstep
12-31-2012, 01:27 AM
I have some leather goods that have become stiff and hardened with age, even getting somewhat brittle, what do you folks recommend to soften and preserve leather?

Bad Water Bill
12-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Back about 1967 my grandfather gave my dad his rifle and scabbard used when grandpa was a Texas ranger (1920-?). After dad passed mom gave me the setup. The leather was so hard and cracked in spots I had my doubts that anything could save the leather. I took the leather to a TANDY LEATHER STORE. The 2 salesmen said together "DR JACKSON'S LEATHER RESTORER"

No it did not heal the cracks but the leather is now as soft and flexible as new.

C.F.Plinker
12-31-2012, 11:11 AM
My first choice is Lexol. Apply this, or any other product you use, to the grain (hair) side of the leather using a dauber or a piece of cloth or sheepskin with the wool trimmed short. You just want to apply a little bit then let it soak in for several days. Some oils, like neatsfoot, will weaken the leather if you apply too much, so go easy.

You can find forums for leatherworkers and others that use a lot of leather such as car upholstery and saddles and tack that will give usefull information also.

L1A1Rocker
12-31-2012, 01:04 PM
Good old Neetsfoot oil. (NOT neetsfoot compound - there is a difference; compound has mineral spirits in it.) It does turn the leather a darker color but it is what my dad used, and his dad before him and works great.

Harter66
12-31-2012, 02:48 PM
I saved a couple of holsters,belts,and a shell case w/kiwi mink oil. YMMV

dagger dog
12-31-2012, 03:01 PM
I used to work with thoroughbred horses, when all the stables used leather tack, LEXOL was THE way to keep the expensive tack in good shape.

Neatsfoot oil will work but it's very easy to use too much and soften the leather beyond use. Regular saddle soap does a respectable job with glycerin being the main ingredient.

I like to use Murphys Oilsoap (glycerin) to remove any mildew-mold then dry with a cloth and apply Lexol.

Since I started making my own boolit lube, I have been using it to keep my leather in goood shape, It's Beeswax,Crisco,Canola oil,stay away from anything with salt it draws vermin.

What the heck is a Neat ? I've never seen one let alone it's foot.

fouronesix
12-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Well, once leather is cracked or damaged, there's no going in reverse. Maintenance and conservation work- restoration is only a wish. Most of the treatments available are good but with the light oils like neatsfoot it's easy to put too much on as has been posted. Lexol and real mink oil are standards and Pecard is another highly recommended leather conserver. Many caretakers of antique leather use Pecard.

bayjoe
12-31-2012, 05:18 PM
Warm Crisco oil. Rub it on and then put leather in a sunny spot for a while. Absorbs good and won't rub off on you or your clothes, if you don't drowned the leather. If the leather is as bad as you describe several applications may be necessary over time.

MtGun44
12-31-2012, 05:30 PM
If it is real far gone, I've never found anything that helps much. I even asked
a friend that does museum conservation and deals with preserving all sort of
art and crafts and she said that they had tried about everything and nothing
did much good if it was real hard and dried out. Warned against neatsfoot,
said it breaks down leather over time. Good luck, hope you find something
that works.

Bill

DCP
12-31-2012, 08:41 PM
http://www.pecard.com/
Pecards is the best stuff I have ever used. It is used by museums to protect there vintage leathers

I would never use Neatsfoot oil.

The majority of leather dressings are based on tallow or neatsfoot oil. Tallow, even kidney fat, contains salts which build up with repeated dressing and attack the leather fibres. Neatsfoot oil compounds, long recognized for damage to sewing, also weaken and blacken the leather. Both these animal fats provide a culture for the growth of bacteria and fungus, and turn rancid, resulting in further attack on the leather. The more liquid formulations also evaporate quickly, leaving the leather dry and open to rapid deterioration by oxidation and mechanical break down.

From the Pecard web site

Pecard's commitment to quality earned his products an amazing reputation. Lumbermen swore by it. Factory workers endorsed it. Hunters wouldn't walk the woods without it.

In fact, Admiral Richard E. Byrd specifically chose PECARD LEATHER DRESSING to protect his crew and their gear on the first expedition to the South Pole! Pecard Leather Dressing was also the only leather care product chosen by the crew of "Operation Deepfreeze", a series of explorations across the Arctic Circle. Proven time and time again under even the most brutal conditions,

Beau Cassidy
12-31-2012, 09:00 PM
Lexol is extremely good. I put it on the King Ranch leather 2 or 3 times a year. You can get it at Wal Mart.

fouronesix
12-31-2012, 11:01 PM
I have tried many products over the years for leather. Have kind of settled on two. For heavy duty use I like Pecard for boots, working leather, etc.

For finer, top grain smooth leather that is dry I'll apply a little Pecard, wait a couple of days then treat the smooth, finished side with Renaissance wax. Even antigue leather like the Civil War era cartridge box and the Indian Wars era belt get a small amount of Pecard followed by a coat of Renaissance wax on the smooth side.

Shepherd2
01-01-2013, 09:17 AM
The Pecard leather care products are the best I've ever used.

smokeywolf
01-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Hydrophane is the best I've found. At least for me, it has proven far superior to Lexol. Like most leather dressings, a little goes a long way. I've been using the same can for 20+ years.

smokeywolf

Thumbcocker
01-01-2013, 01:15 PM
For waterproofing and maintaince it is hard to beat Hubbard's made with beeswax pine tar. And other stuff. We have used it for over 40 years. I have wondered how it would work as boolit lube. Company is in McMinnville Oregon. They have a website.

wildwilly
01-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Montana Pitch Blend. Been using it for years on all my leather gear.

hiram
01-01-2013, 02:24 PM
So if leather has dried out and become stiff/hard with age, which Pecard do you use, Antique or Classic.

Alstep
01-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Thanks everyone for your recomendations. Lots of options to chose from. My various leather stuff isn't that bad it's beyond salvage, but I want to bring it back before it get's to that state. Thanks, and Happy New Year to all.
Keep your powder dry,
Al

DCP
01-01-2013, 05:00 PM
When I talked to Pecards 2 or 3 years ago they said either one will work. you may need to treat it a few times.

So if leather has dried out and become stiff/hard with age, which Pecard do you use, Antique or Classic.