PDA

View Full Version : "No Easy Day" by Mark Owen

gkainz
12-30-2012, 11:20 AM
The autobiography of a Navy SEAL. The firsthand account of the mission that killed Osama bin Laden. Good read, well written. Really enjoyed reading it.
Thanks for your service and a hand salute for those that gave all for your country. You will not be forgotten.

WILCO
12-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Isn't this the guy that released classified information at the behest of the manchurian president? Sounds like treason to me.............................

gkainz
12-30-2012, 07:44 PM
I don't believe so. Says that it was reviewed by experts to ensure nothing classified or any info that would jeopardize people or operations at risk was released.

41 mag fan
12-30-2012, 09:11 PM
I seen him on some new cast...60 min i believe, they had him completely disguised voice, everything, for the interview

WILCO
12-31-2012, 05:57 AM
I don't believe so. Says that it was reviewed by experts to ensure nothing classified or any info that would jeopardize people or operations at risk was released.

That depends on who you're referencing and what their agenda is. Considering the constant shredding of the Constitution by those currently in charge and the voluminous amounts of national security breaches we've experienced these past four years, this Mark Owen is indeed a treasonous bastard in my book and should be dealt with accordingly. It is my understanding that real men and American patriots serve their country quietly with honor and rejoin civilian life in the same manner, not writing an expos'e for our numerous enemies whilst pledging donations from it, to the families of those murdered by said enemies of our great nation. I don't know how old you are, but I remember a time in our history when communists amongst us hid in the shadows for fear of being caught and the American populace knew the meaning of treason and could recognize it freely.

http://www.booksnreview.com/articles/890/20120831/fifty-shades-of-treason-pentagon-says-ex-seal-could-face-legal-action-over-osama-bin-laden-raid-book-no-easy-day.htm

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/treason

drklynoon
12-31-2012, 10:01 AM
As a recent Vet I am conflicted on this book. I do appreciate someones right to free speech but I distinctly remember the papers I signed stating that I was not at liberty to discuss and particulars of any sort about my service. I was not SF just a Flight Engineer and this is standard practice for any Vets leaving the service. The Brits kinda opened the door to SF writing or ghost writing books about their missions. I'm sad to say I do not condone this. Tactics are given away, chain of command is given away, and other things that may not seem pertinent to a law abiding citizen but are of great importance to terrorist and criminals are given away. I have heard that the book was approved but that doesn't make it right. This information may not be classified but it is sensitive. I am sure that the Seals had to undergo some changes due to the release of this book. There is a time limit on the disclosure of information that is sensitive but not classified I believe that memoirs for service men should fall under this. If a Vietnam Vet wants to write about their time spent very little if anything is the same so no advantage is being handed out. I have not read this book due to ideological reasons so I am ignorant of what it consists of but as a general rule I do not condone this type of disclosure.

Bad Water Bill
12-31-2012, 10:37 AM
I got out of the Navy in 1959 and have been reminded several times I still can not tell of some things we did even back then.

A friend and marine with many medals he can NEVER wear still says DON'T EVEN ASK. He has been retired 30 years.

To wright a book of your recent experiences has to put the lives of those that USED TO call you buddy in grave danger. [smilie=b:[smilie=b:

sparky45
12-31-2012, 10:52 AM
It's time we brought ALL of our Men and Women in uniform back home, period. I'm tired of "spooks" and other alphabet agencies screwing up foreign policy in the name of "national security". Let those types take care of ALL the **** missions and "dirty" work. I'm tired of the likes of State Dept. "diplomacy" in manipulating "world change" such as in Egypt and other happenings of the "Arab Spring". The Clinton's and the Obama's OWN this mess, let them do the "wet work" as well. As far as the book, I think the First Amendment applies here. If he is in the wrong then Panetta will get to the bottom of it, right? Besides, Obama already gave the inside story to Hollywood.

After reading my rant, I think I might have posted in the wrong section, sorry.

JIMinPHX
12-31-2012, 11:30 AM
I thought that I read that a few months after they got Binladden, the whole seal team got killed in a chopper crash. Did this guy get reincarnated or something? Did he write the book the week after it happened?

fecmech
12-31-2012, 11:53 AM
I read the book and I don't see anything "Treasonous" in it that wasn't already released by our President in his glorification. The executive branch turned all kinds of info over to Hollywood so they could make a movie about it. The problem with "No Easy Day" was that it didn't fit the administrations "narrative" of the kill. I personally think Mark Owen (whomever the persons real name is) is an honorable man and I am proud of him and our other servicemen who go in harms way.

sparky45
12-31-2012, 01:49 PM
100% fecmech, 100%

Para82
12-31-2012, 06:34 PM
Read the book right after it came out. Good read. Nothing in it I had not already heard in the media before I read it.

WILCO
01-01-2013, 02:13 AM
I remember a time in our history when communists amongst us hid in the shadows for fear of being caught and the American populace knew the meaning of treason and could recognize it freely.

http://www.booksnreview.com/articles/890/20120831/fifty-shades-of-treason-pentagon-says-ex-seal-could-face-legal-action-over-osama-bin-laden-raid-book-no-easy-day.htm

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/treason

I stand by my earlier post.

gkainz
01-01-2013, 03:05 AM
OP here - USN 1976-1985 Naval Aircrewman, Secret clearance. No big deal, but not completely uninformed.

I respect your opinion WILCO and a few if the others who believe that "Mark Owens" was gravely in error with his book. I still stand by my position that this book is a very good read. I believe it justifies itself by contrasting the "official story" from the corrupt political **** of today.
A number if years ago I attended a small breakfast meeting where a retired army officer told his story of his time in SE Asia before we were officially in SE Asia. He prefaced with "these stories are redacted from my official records and will still be denied to this day. They need to be told."
I considered myself very privileged to be there that morning as he shared his story and how that time impacted his life.
You may say his revelations were also treasonous. Perhaps, but who am I to judge.

WILCO
01-01-2013, 08:33 AM
You may say his revelations were also treasonous. Perhaps, but who am I to judge.

Now you're just saying that you're open to anything. Good luck with that and best wishes in the new year.

P.S. This guy needs a flag waver: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Manning

EMC45
01-01-2013, 10:48 AM
I read the book too. I think it was good. The rough draft was reviewed by lawyers and the SF community to "vet" it for classified intel. None was found. It doesn't fit the account given by the current admin and that is why they are mad about it.

sparky45
01-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Mark Owen (Matt Bissonnette) is a hero, not a treasonous individual, who told the truth about his experience(s). Problem is it didn't fit the Hollywood scripted version supplied by POTUS, et al. Lone Survivor is another good read and puts you right there with the fighting and tension of battle. I highly recommend the book.

gkainz
01-01-2013, 12:39 PM
I read Lone Survivor shortly after it was published - thought it was exceptional.

gkainz
01-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Now you're just saying that you're open to anything. Good luck with that and best wishes in the new year.

P.S. This guy needs a flag waver: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Manning

WILCO, i don't believe that to be the case at all. I have a pretty sensitive nose and gut to truth and bs, good old fashioned right and wrong. I've had my active duty and contractor DoD and DoE clearances tested in the past without incident. Again, no big deal - just pointing out I'm not a newbie nugget.

Regardless, thanks for the above link - I'll read up on him.

sparky45
01-01-2013, 11:25 PM
WILCO, what branch of the Armed Forces did you serve?

migtek02
01-01-2013, 11:58 PM
I got the book and unless I missed something he did not expose anything that the current administration had not already released for movie making or headline grabbing. That was mostly to sway public opinion and glorify the "I got bin laden , me the great leader, worship me" guy.