PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again. Primer and powder shortages

Down South
12-29-2012, 11:29 PM
I'm setting pretty good on all of my reloading supplies but noticed that I was low on standard LR primers. I did an inventory on my powders and decided I could use an of 8lb jug of a couple different powders just to compliment my inventory.
I like to combine as much on a Hazmat as possible to recoup.
I did find Federal LR primers at Powder Valley so I put 6,000 in my cart. That was the only brand in LR they had in stock. I found one powder that I was looking for there so I put 8lb of that in my cart. the other powder was out of stock.
I checked several of the other online sites and they were out of at least two items that I wanted. So I started looking at their overall stock. Not much in stock for sure.
Most of what I call common powders are pretty much gone, primers too.

So hang onto your hats, here we go again.

runfiverun
12-30-2012, 12:55 AM
yeah things are starting up.
it seems a little different this time though.
i mean,, what happened to all the stuff that was grabbed up last go-round?
did everybody shoot it all up..
it's small pistol primers this time instead of small rifle.
prices are up to stupid high it seems, before it even gets going.
i dunno.... i just dunno.

winelover
12-30-2012, 09:17 AM
I placed a large order with Powder Vally, just before X-mas. Low stock on most powders and no SP or SR primers. Went back a day later and checked inventory, and nearly everything I ordered was out of stock.

Winelover

drklynoon
12-30-2012, 09:28 AM
It seems very short sited of these companies or possibly insider dealing to not be able to keep up with demand. Primers have been spotty all year. Now the price at TLGS for a brick of primers is 40 dollars. I guess this is why Wolf and Tulo got involved in primer resale but I too am wondering what happened to the ol stockpiles that the preppers were making. I personally don't have the money to buy more than a brick at a time and this is getting annoying. I'm starting to think they are purposely creating artificial shortages so they can raise prices. maybe they just don't care because loose primer sales our a small percentage of their profits. TLGS was also almost sold out of powder from one week to another. This is strange because re-loading doesn't seem to be as strong here as in other places. IDK it's just annoying.

1Shirt
12-30-2012, 11:21 AM
I did a stock up the day after the election. Glad I did!
1Shirt!

koehn,jim
12-30-2012, 03:31 PM
You have to remeber that demand for some ammo has gone thru the roof and much of the primers and powders is going there.

Xfire68
12-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Lots of panic buying going on.

Anything 5.56/.223, AR's, hi cap mags, Powder primers and brass for .223.

I bought some primers and powder the week before the shooting and even then stock was hit and miss.

When the AWB does not happen those that bought those AR's for $3500 are going to be kicking themselves!

GilaMonster
12-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Was in the Dillon reloading store in Phoenix on Friday, and they were selling primers for $25 / 1000.

Counter was VERY busy, and the store, which is usually well stocked, looked stripped.

I don't think Dillon sells components mail order, but in the store, they did have primers this weekend.

chambers
12-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Local gun shop was pretty empty of primers, usually sell for $25.00/K now $40-49.00/K, shelf was almost empty. Some AR mags with 60 capacity were being sold at $300.00 each in area, that normally cost $80-100.00. When the dust settles the prices will be lower again, not sure how long it is going to take?

Randy C
12-30-2012, 04:10 PM
My neighbor was in Grand forks ND yesterday 4 hr. round trip drive. He said they were low on everything. They did not have the primers and some of the powders he wanted. I think he gave the manager of Cabela's a piece of his mind.

starmac
12-30-2012, 05:48 PM
My neighbor was in Grand forks ND yesterday 4 hr. round trip drive. He said they were low on everything. They did not have the primers and some of the powders he wanted. I think he gave the manager of Cabela's a piece of his mind.

I have to ask WHY would he give the store manager a piece of his mind??? This shortage has been caused by shooters, unless the store manager bought all the stock himself.

runfiverun
12-30-2012, 10:30 PM
it is amazing that the lgs owners know about this stuff as soon as or sooner than we know.
but they don't stock up, you'd think they see this stuff trending and lay in the supplies before hand.
i meaan really stock it up, they are selling this stuff at a profit normally anyway
and having the stuff that's gonna sell quickly should be a no brainer.
i know that ruger 10-22's have been impossible to get for some time now.
the lgs can order 100 of them if he wants but the distributer is placing a cap on how many that each store is gonna get per order.

DLCTEX
12-30-2012, 10:42 PM
My son in Florida heard there was going to be a shortage so he went and bought primers for me. Of course I reload for him, DIL, and grandson also. I will have to wait until spring when I go to Grandson's graduation to pick them up. I'm probably good till then.

starmac
12-30-2012, 11:50 PM
10/22's shortage must be a regional thing. They have been on the shelves here right up till christmas. I'm sure some extras sold because of the hollidays, but wallmart still had at least one takedown just a couple days before christmas. I think most gun stores had been ordering more powder and primers ever since the election, but were over whelmed with the panic buying after Sandy Hook. No store could have seen that coming.

plmitch
12-31-2012, 12:21 AM
I haven't seen any shortage in the Bay Area. My wife and I stopped by our local shop and picked up a couple of pounds of powder and a box of SR primers. They had plenty on hand and the prices were the same as they were six months ago. Even Big5 had stacks of ammo on hand as of last week and normal prices there too.

P.K.
12-31-2012, 09:06 AM
Shortages are starting in my area but according to my go to outlet demand has been noted whatever that means. In my mind most suppliers are rubbing their hands togeather wondering when to start releasing backstocks. Oh wait, my tinfoil hat slipped....

I am glad that I streamlined my needs a few months ago and went to SR and SP on everything except my larger bore stuff(long gun). I found it odd when I started noticing SP in my .45ACP range pu but tried some and no worries so far. I'm sure there are some loads out there that a SP just won't do but so far I haven't loaded one yet.

Hmmmm, Trail Boss is still in stock.....;-)
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/searchMSS.asp?searchInfo=trail+boss&GO.x=0&GO.y=0

Down South
12-31-2012, 09:32 AM
Stopped at a Super Wally World on my way back from La to Houston yesterday just to see what they had. They had one muzzle loader in the gun rack, that was it. the ammo shelves looked like Old Mother Hubbard's Cubboard. It was pretty much bare.
I asked the friendly Wally World Associate about 22 rim fire cartridges. She said their warehouses were out.
I'll check around some of the Gun Shops in Houston. I think that I will make a trip over to Bass Pro after work this afternoon. I do need some 22 ammo.

drklynoon
12-31-2012, 09:46 AM
After the dust settled from the last panic buying primers had permanently gone up from 22.00 to 27.00. 5 bucks may not seem like a lot but that is durn near a 25% price increase in a year. Hopefully, after this round of crazed hoarding they stay at 27. If they go up to 32 I'll still buy them but I'll reduce my usage to compensate. I have a seriously thin budget for hobbies and this is why some of us cast and reload.

popper
12-31-2012, 02:14 PM
Got my PV order by fed X today. Consider myself fortunate as last I looked they were out of everything.

km101
12-31-2012, 02:50 PM
I did a stock up the day after the election. Glad I did!
1Shirt!

Mee too! And I wish I had done more, as I only got about a year's supply! I'm thinking that this may go on way past that. As bad as I hate to, I may have to cut back on my shooting to conserve my supply. I will be buying whatever I find available as long as I can afford it.

Beau Cassidy
01-01-2013, 10:45 PM
I have been buying for years. No shortages at my house. I did go by Sportsman's Warehouse today and the shelves were getting kinda thin. I went ahead and further reinforced my supply of powder and relieved them of their last Federal Match Small Rifle primers 4 lb keg of WSF, and a pretty good slug of Varget and TAC. Several people were buying reloading presses and components. One guy was looking thru a book as he was trying to match up the powders left to what he needed.

A lot of people are buying new reloading outfits. They are behind the curve. They shoulda bought years ago. In my opinion you buy reloading equipment and supplies to stave off inflation and shortages in the future. People buying now could save a bundle looking for used equipment but most don't seem savvy enough to do that. Oh wait... they are panic buying.

ErikO
01-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Makers me thankful that I've gone only about 1/2 way through that brick of Tula SR and that locally Ramshot is kind of looked at crosswise. Still need a couple pounds of TAC to get rolling again...

captaint
01-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Last week I was shooting with a friend at his indoor range, and they had a thou box of Fed SPP. I snatched them up - 35 bux or not. I was glad to add them to the stash. Who knows when I'll see more laying around. Mike

captaint
01-02-2013, 11:01 AM
And another thing - One of the LGS's nearby had 47 AR's in stock, of various styles. The day after the Newtown tragedy he sold every AR he had in 3 hours. All of them. Mike

P.K.
01-02-2013, 12:54 PM
And another thing - One of the LGS's nearby had 47 AR's in stock, of various styles. The day after the Newtown tragedy he sold every AR he had in 3 hours. All of them. Mike

That's the story in most places. I had a guy at the range offering 3 bills for and AR (IIRC a bone stock Stag)... Some folks are getting that hindsight dialed in and the "woe is me" mindset is setteling(sp) in.

Love Life
01-02-2013, 05:13 PM
I looked at several websites today that had SRP, LRP, SPP, SPM, SMRB, etc in stock.

cdet69
01-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Once again competing with hoarders. Problem is that a lot of them buying it do not even know how to use it.

archmaker
01-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Looked on Gun Broker, and saw where 5,000 SP were going for over $300. I don't need any for a while, but was curious what the theives were charging?

runfiverun
01-02-2013, 10:45 PM
i wonder what the date code on those ones on g/b are.

Love Life
01-02-2013, 10:51 PM
3rd Generation had assorted primers
Grafs had assorted primers

others had assorted primers.

About the only problem I see is you can't 'one stop shop' and will get beat up pretty decent with hazmat. Other than that they are available. Why people are paying $300 for 5,000 primers is beyond me.

Down South
01-03-2013, 08:21 AM
3rd Generation had assorted primers
Grafs had assorted primers

others had assorted primers.

About the only problem I see is you can't 'one stop shop' and will get beat up pretty decent with hazmat. Other than that they are available. Why people are paying $300 for 5,000 primers is beyond me.
yeah, you are correct. When I was shopping around the other day, I could not find a few common components together at the same on line outlet. Hopefully this is as bad as it gets but I have my doubts. I know people who "Just" decided to get into reloading and they are having to wait on backordered reloading equipment.

Bluetickhound
01-03-2013, 10:47 AM
As a nOOB myself, I must have gotten on the last boat out... I started buying components a few months ago and now you can't find anything anywhere!! Fortunately for me i managed to get enough stuff together to (hopefully) hold me over until the latest panic subsides... Right now i'm only loading for a few calibers... .308 Win. .30 Carbine and 9mm Luger but as soon as supplies become available I'll start loading for .223 Rem and .45 ACP.

drklynoon
01-03-2013, 11:04 AM
After the last shortage tula, magtech, and wolf primers became available. I wonder if this shortage will bring any new companies to the fold. It is irritating to be one of those guys who buys stuff as I need it. I usually only have a brick of primers for each size and get more as I need them. I also usually buy powder by the pound. It looks like both of those practices are out the window. 5k boxes of primers and 8 lb kegs o' powder are in my future. I am becoming one of the hoarders that are helping to create the situation is it is today.

P.K.
01-03-2013, 11:33 AM
After the last shortage tula, magtech, and wolf primers became available. I wonder if this shortage will bring any new companies to the fold. It is irritating to be one of those guys who buys stuff as I need it. I usually only have a brick of primers for each size and get more as I need them. I also usually buy powder by the pound. It looks like both of those practices are out the window. 5k boxes of primers and 8 lb kegs o' powder are in my future. I am becoming one of the hoarders that are helping to create the situation is it is today.I'm pretty much in the same boat except that I have standardized most of my pistol and rifle stuff for SP or SR. My larger bore is still origional recipie but I shoot the smaller stuff more. As for powders I have a pretty good selection, all in pound or in the case of TB 9 oz. bottles. As I've progressed I've found myself shooting for quantity per lb. of powder and the enjoyment has grown because I am wringing every cent out of that lb. of powder possible.

RMK79
01-03-2013, 11:37 AM
I don't think it's hoarding, I think is preparing. One of my main reasons for getting into casting and reloading is so that I don't have to worry about shortages. I don't see anything wrong with buying a year or more worth of components. I don't want to be the guy right now that is searching 100 different websites or calling 20 different stores in town in a panic to see if they have something.

Bluetickhound
01-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Whatever somebody may call it, if you are loading up on supplies out of concern that you win't be able to get it later.... Well, draw your own conclusion...

375RUGER
01-03-2013, 06:47 PM
not hoarding, it's being prepared. The gubmint says we should be prepared. http://www.ready.gov/

Was at the sportsmans today to get a shell holder. The ammo truck had just arrived. There must have been 60-70 people waiting around for them to bring the ammo out. The guys couldn't even put it on the shelf, everyone was getting it off the cart as it came down the isle.

Down South
01-03-2013, 07:45 PM
I think ready or prepared would fit better for many than hoarding would. 99% of what I have stashed back was collected during times when supplies were plentiful and prices were better. I bought all of my supplies or at least most of it during non-panic times when I could actually choose which online vendor that I could get everything that I was looking for at one time.
I could go to three different sites that I buy from, locate all the supplies I needed, calculate the total plus shipping then order from the cheapest source. Of course PV never wants to let you know what shipping runs till after you order.

starmac
01-03-2013, 08:15 PM
I personally think it is funny, and I feel it will be back to normal in a few weeks, except as always prices will not quite go back to two week ago prices.

Hunter57dor
01-03-2013, 08:42 PM
fantastic.
i was going to swing by turners today after work for some large rifle primers, hope they still got em in stock.

shooterg
01-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Since the early 90's and the "Desert Storm" shortage, I've maintained a supply that some would call hoarding - but amazing how many reloading friends call me when this stuff happens - I give 'em enough to bang for awhile, they just haveta replace in kind when they can find 'em - at whatever price !

I guess I'm a gold and silver hoarder too, 'cause i have silver dollars I paid $6 each for not that long ago !

Down South
01-03-2013, 09:08 PM
I personally think it is funny, and I feel it will be back to normal in a few weeks, except as always prices will not quite go back to two week ago prices.
I have a feeling that you are correct.

marlin39a
01-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Hornady V-Max in .224 are impossible to find. Midway has a sale, but now says Not in Stock and No Backorders. I was able to lock in a supply of Z-Max for P-Dogs but they are also going fast.

drklynoon
01-04-2013, 11:24 AM
I made a score yesterday. I went to a little outta the way gun shop and found powder. I got one pound of Unique, Reddot, and Tightgroup. He had alot more of each but this should get me through the next two months until this blows over. He said he had primers until two weeks ago but has been unable to restock since then.

Bluetickhound
01-04-2013, 08:36 PM
I've actually had a little luck myself... Powder isn't any problem at all for me to find... I located a guy who had a few thousand rounds of .223 boolits and even stumbled onto the last two boxes of SP primers another supplier had in stock... I may start hoarding coffee and smokes just to be safe!!!

Catshooter
01-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Soooo, Bluetick, when I started stocking up right after we re-elected Bush I was hoarding?

Cat

starmac
01-04-2013, 09:17 PM
I've actually had a little luck myself... Powder isn't any problem at all for me to find... I located a guy who had a few thousand rounds of .223 boolits and even stumbled onto the last two boxes of SP primers another supplier had in stock... I may start hoarding coffee and smokes just to be safe!!!

LOL It is not unusual at all for me to buy 10 or 15 cans of coffee at a time, when it is on sale.

Love Life
01-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Same thing here with peanut butter and snickers bars. Like right now PB is 10 jars for $18.00. Yep I'll be in there tomorrow. Snickers bars go on sale? I buy them by the case. Why? I like them and both are power foods, but I digress...

You were either well stocked with components or you weren't. If you were then you can sit back and relax. If you weren't then you have to pay current prices. Of course I'm pretty sure that most of the people paying these price are A) impatient B) Don't look at different retailers C) New to reloading and will pay anything for anything. Now if you'll excuse me I am going to go eat a snickers.

Bluetickhound
01-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Soooo, Bluetick, when I started stocking up right after we re-elected Bush I was hoarding?

Cat

As it turns out, you were smart to get a head start on errbody!! As soon as this latest panic dues down I will be sure to "hoard" some supplies myself...

Bluetickhound
01-04-2013, 10:43 PM
LOL It is not unusual at all for me to buy 10 or 15 cans of coffee at a time, when it is on sale.

I din't even smoke but I know enough folks that do... Coffee, on the otherest of hands... Can not function without it!!

starmac
01-05-2013, 12:18 AM
I din't even smoke but I know enough folks that do... Coffee, on the otherest of hands... Can not function without it!!

I might could function without it, but I don't intend to find out anytime soon. lol

dg31872
01-05-2013, 12:49 AM
Love Life, you said "Either you were well stocked with components or you weren't" . I was well stocked after the current president was reelected, but my kids recently started acquiring AR's and pistols. Now they have nothing to shoot in them and are looking to my stash. So, you are right, I was well stocked and now I'm not. Such is life.

Love Life
01-05-2013, 01:01 AM
Man oh man DG31872. Multiple bottom feeders to keep fed will put a hurting on a stash quick! I would be getting some chores and slave labor in exchange for my stash.

JesterGrin_1
01-05-2013, 01:19 AM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww What the heck. I guess some do not know but Powder Valley is a good source for stuff and there shipping is ok. They have these currently in stock 224 50 GR ZOMBIE-MAX (500) They are good accurate bullets. And they also have these in stock TUL 223 PRIMERS (KVB223M) . I have no idea about powder though. I hope this helps somebody. :)

HighHook
01-05-2013, 01:27 AM
Man oh man DG31872. Multiple bottom feeders to keep fed will put a hurting on a stash quick! I would be getting some chores and slave labor in exchange for my stash.

Yep, I know that feeling MBF's multiple bottom feeders going on in my world right now.

Love Life
01-05-2013, 01:36 AM
I don't shoot my bottom feeder handguns much. They are what they are, I am good with them, and so they sit in they safe as I go to the range.

Now my 38 special wheel guns eat entirely way to much. There is just something about the 358429 over 5 gr of Unique that makes you shoot more than a couple boxes each trip. Plus it is my bunny hunting companion as well. What applies to the handguns applies to the AR. I am good with it and don't see any need to practice once I got it BZO'd. The 223 bolt gun goes hunting a bit though.

The 308 goes everywhere.

So I have a few to play with, but in reality the only ones I shoot a lot are the revolvers and 308. If there is no foreseeable let up in the panic buying then I will cut back, but primers and powders are still available so I get what I can when I can.

Buying a ton prior to a panic could be labeled hoarding if it had to. Buying whatever you can when you can for normalish prices during a panic is just smart.

ETA: I meant to refer to my guns in the past tense. There was a terrible boating accident that involved several forum members, and all my guns went to the bottom of a lake.

JesterGrin_1
01-05-2013, 01:41 AM
Love Life we know. But the Accident was all your fault. Ok Ok So the girls on the other boat that went by did not have tops on but still. Ok the swim back was worth it lol.

Love Life
01-05-2013, 01:50 AM
I just want to state that the water was cold.

JesterGrin_1
01-05-2013, 01:52 AM
Yea Yea I know you keep saying that lol.

You will not be honest and say it was an accident while in service lol.

starmac
01-05-2013, 02:20 AM
One of my friends actually was in a boating accident. lol
The first day, actually hour of his moose season, he dumped his canoe and entire camp. lol The next day he found his canoe and the only thing he had left was his RIFLE and a water jug. lol Even his brand new one hour old 10 horse merc was pretty much trashed. lol

Mike in TX
01-05-2013, 06:30 AM
I went to my favorite LGS yesterday looking for some powder and small rifle primers as I am out. Plenty of powder at the Powderhorn in SA,TX but few primers and no small rifle.

Nose Dive
01-05-2013, 12:58 PM
I know. This is just crazy. I ordered a new 20 LB pour pot form MIDWAY as ole faithful finally bit the dust. Quess what,,,,even a darn lead pot is on back order! I just LOVE OUR GOVERNMENT LEADERS! JEEEEESSS.... Men and women are idiots!

TO PREVENT OBESITY WE MUST OUTLAW KNIFES AND FORKS!!!

Nose Dive.

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

Bluetickhound
01-06-2013, 09:36 AM
The good ole US govt has been trying to ban lead for years now... I don't currently cast my own boolits but if that happens what is the general consensus as to a backup metal?

Down South
01-06-2013, 09:57 AM
The good ole US govt has been trying to ban lead for years now... I don't currently cast my own boolits but if that happens what is the general consensus as to a backup metal?
Backup Metal???? Copper, Bismuth, Zinc and Tungsten. None are easy to work with nor cost effective.

runfiverun
01-06-2013, 02:14 PM
back-up metal?
there isn't one that's as cheap,easy to work with,nor as effective.
if there were i'm sure it would have been used in the last 500 years.
but gold,or depleted uranium would work very well.
the melt points are a bit different and the cost is a little prohibitive.

the next alternative would be zink/silver but that would preclude any long term use of aluminum molds.