PDA

View Full Version : sight issue ?

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-29-2012, 11:13 PM
I made it to the range today, and got the new to me 45 cva kentucky on paper , not a terrific group but very consistently 6 inches low and left at 25 yards

it was cold and windy , the snow was to deep to drive in, had to pull all my range gear in on the sled as no one plows the range

after 3 shots right next to each other i go to move the front sight , just as i put the brass rod up to it, it slides right out , so i slide it back in and center it , fire a few more at least now they go dead center but 6 inches low, I didn't have a file or my sand bags and i am thinking i want to replace the rear sight any way so i will leave the front sight tall for now

what do you use to tighten a front sight that slides with finger pressure?

do i use a brass shim stock or a bit of foil tape like i would to beagle a mold ?

docone31
12-29-2012, 11:17 PM
On that barrel, I had the same issue with mine, take a set punch and in the center of the sight, peen once in the middle, on both sides.
This will make the sight tighter, as you narrow it down to final set, then on the corners, with the punch hit once on each of the four corners.
Loose dovetails are not unusual. It is common to peen them down. You do not have to hit more than once on each peening.
Barrels are quite soft.

mooman76
12-29-2012, 11:59 PM
Do as docone31 said and don't get carried away. Like he said the metal is soft so light taps will do it.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-30-2012, 12:24 AM
thank you very much , i popped the sight out 4 small hits to the corners of the dove tail slot then i had to drive the sight back in with the brass punch it seems plenty tight , i can't move it with my fingers at all , I moved it to the marks i made when i was shooting center
when i can get it out and put it on paper on a calm day with a new rear sight i will fine tune it