PDA

View Full Version : Ffl

starbits
12-29-2012, 01:02 AM
There is an online gov auction site that occasionally sells firearms. However you must be a ffl holder and have a copy of your ffl on file with them before you can even bid on one of the firearms auctions. The auctions are usually police confiscations and happen all over the state. I could find a local ffl to bid for me, but auction site won't ship the weapons, they must be picked up in person by a ffl holder or gunshop employee with proof of employment and notarized letter from the ffl holder authorizing pickup. Finding an ffl holder who would stay on top of the auction let alone drive 2-4 hours to pick up a gun seems unreasonable. So I either watch from the outside, frustrated, or see about getting an ffl.

So how hard is it to get an ffl these days? How much of a hassle is it to deal with the ATF? How does it affect the guns and reloading components I have on hand now? Is it worth it just to be able to bid on some auctions? Below is a list of the guns that sold today and the final price.

Starbits

Remington 870 $228.50
Mossberg 500A $112.50
Mossberg 590A1 $350.00
Ruger 10/22 $142.50
Henry 22 $168.50
Winchester 1300 $152.50
Winchester 9422 $396.00
Browning over/under $645.00 no model listed
Marlin model 60 $76.00
Savage 987 $102.50

Gunload Master
12-29-2012, 01:13 AM
Dont quote me on this. But i believe you need a registered business in order to get an FFL. Once you have a business you should be able to get setup for business to business deals and shouldn't necessarily need that auction site..... i could be wrong

Artful
12-29-2012, 01:16 AM
With the set of rules you listed (local pick up etc) I'd bet you can find the shop that is winning the bid's but the question becomes how much markup are they doing to 'em.

I no longer have FFL but it wasn't hard to get - register a unique business name and get approval from city/county/state to operate out of my home and get insurance and set up to file tax pprwrk

- it was funny as when I got one they wanted anyone who sold/traded more than half a dozen guns a year to get one - when I gave it up if you didn't sell as many guns as they thought you should they didn't want you to have an FFL - politic's what you going to do.

nhrifle
12-29-2012, 02:23 AM
It is now taking in excess of 6 months for the feds to grant a tax stamp for a supressor, used to be just a few weeks. I can imagine an FFL license will be a bear too and require no less than 2.8 quarts of your own blood to get.

waksupi
12-29-2012, 03:21 AM
My last renewal took under three weeks.

shotman4
12-29-2012, 03:42 AM
try to get a new one . Ihave had mine since 76. as waksupi said renew is about 3weeks to 6weeks . but if you dont get new one in time they email an extention Thing is now it was for 5yr then it got to3yr now its 2yrs at $90
BUT for new one its $200 and your first child. and better not have any "friends" that dont like you. as they do a "association " check now .
buddy applied in may and has not got it yet

nhrifle
12-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Gotta love those in charge! That's about how I figured it would be. BO has been spouting off about creating jobs and helping small businesses since they are the backbone of our economy, and yet they make it rough to actually get started as an FFL. New businesses adding to the tax base as well as being potential employers of those in need of a job should take top priority.

farmallcrew
12-29-2012, 08:06 PM
The farm I used to work at, the milk truck driver got FFL. I kept asking how the process was going. At the end he said it cost about 2500 dollars and over 9 months. This was about 3 yrs ago, so it should be about right still today unless ATF tightened its FFL rules.

nhrifle
12-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Come come now, the fine folks at the ATF don't change the rules, they only reinterpret them on a case by case basis!

starbits
12-30-2012, 03:16 AM
sounds like it wouldn't be as reasonable or worthwhile as I had hoped.

Starbits