PDA

View Full Version : 10 gauge round ball

targeteer63
12-28-2012, 11:08 PM
I have a person looking for a 10 gauge round ball mold. Do they exist??

waksupi
12-29-2012, 01:15 AM
Do a search for Jeff Tanner molds. Don't be put off by him being in Great Britain, his delivery time is fast.

littlejack
12-29-2012, 02:46 AM
targeteer63:
First, let me welcome you to the CastBoolits.
There is a thread on the Group Buy Discussion site, by JTKnives.
Heading reads:
Custom round ball moulds - Heavy Metal Moulds
When ever he gets rolling, this would probably be a good place to ge that ball mould made.
Jack

shotman4
12-29-2012, 03:30 AM
Jeff is fast. its a brass mold and he makes anysize at about $50 you should find out the extact size you need.first The lee 6cav handles work with his molds
waksupi may have the link
but google Jeff Tanner molds

Chicken Thief
12-29-2012, 07:43 AM
http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/

targeteer63
12-29-2012, 11:29 AM
thanks guys, for the response and the welcome. I believe this person wants to find something in the us but i'll tell him

longbow
12-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Depending on how your friend wants to load you may be able to use a 0.735" ball in a shotcup. Lyman makes 0.735" ball moulds and Track of the Wolf sells pre-cast balls up to 0.760" diameter:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1203/2
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/127/4

I shoot mine as a bore size ball in 12 ga. and also use 0.662" in a shotcup. I find loading the ball into a commercial shotcup much quicker and easier than building wad columns.

Is your friend's gun choked? If so then the ball has to be no larger than the choke. In that case, it is likely better to find a ball and shotcup combination that will just fit through the choke.

Longbow

waksupi
12-29-2012, 01:12 PM
I would make sure that a shot cup is not in the loading equation at all.

longbow
12-29-2012, 02:09 PM
waksupi:

I gotta ask why?

If for muzzleloader I would agree, but if for cartridge gun and especially if for smokeless loads I have found that the shotcup seems to help with accuracy and ease of loading. I have gotten about equal results using bore size balls over built up wad columns and balls in shotcups but quicker and easier to load a ball into a shotcup than custom make wad columns.

That's what's worked for me anyway.

Longbow

targeteer63
12-29-2012, 04:15 PM
have no idea as to why or if the gun is choked. just trying to help the best friend of our long time junior program director who recently passed away. the guy doesn't have a computer.

longbow
12-29-2012, 04:34 PM
If the gun is choked you do not want him loading a bore sized ball as it will most likely split the choke. A couple thou over choke diameter should not hurt anything but I wouldn't go any bigger.

Undersize balls can be loaded into shotcups, on inverted case seals or onto donut wads to keep them centered in the bore then they will pass through a choke safely. BPI makes "brush wads" which are cups with cushion leg between them but no petals. An undersize ball can be placed in the top cup and the bottom cup is the gas seal. Not sure if they are available in 10 ga. though.

Best to get some details on the gun before recommending a ball size. It certainly would not do to be shooting a 0.775" ball through a 0.740" full choke! A 0.735" ball in a shotcup, donut wad or brush wad would be fine.

That's my take anyway.

Longbow

waksupi
12-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Ha! I was thinking muzzleloader.

longbow
12-29-2012, 07:45 PM
I am with you there!

Also, even BP in cartridges is awful hard on plastic wads in my experience. one cleaning of melted/stripped plastic in hard BP fouling was enough for me! Some say a nitro card wad over the powder solves that but I never went back there to try it.

It doesn't look like BPI has brush wads in 10 ga. They do have 10 ga. gas seals though that look like they would keep an undersize ball centered:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/X10X-10ga-gas-seal-250_bag/productinfo/072X10X/

Longbow

Dutch4122
12-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Looks like I have a lot of homework to do here. I have a buddy that wants to develop a 10 gauge roundball load for a couple of single shot H&R's that he owns.