PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever made a tool for turning nipples down to fit caps

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-28-2012, 10:38 PM
I got my new nipples form track of the wolf

i needed to turn them down a bit to get CCI#11 to fit on them , and fire the first time

i first tried chucking one in the drill like suggested here , not much there to get a hold of

i went down to the hardware store to see what i could find they had the perfect thing almost , they had 1 1/2 inch long threaded hex stock for joining lengths of threaded rod but only in 1/4-20 thread

i found a nut in 6mm-1 that fit the nipple well and was much easier to chuck up in the drill with the nipple in it

a little time with a file and repeated testing and i now have 2 nipples that fire a CCI #11 every time on the first hit

i had been thinking , with sizing nipples and turning the bur that sometimes forms on them that a handy tool to make would be some hex stock with a 1/4-28 thread in one end and a 6mm-1 in the other that was about 1.5 inches long that would chuck up strait and easily every time

for now i have a nut for each size in my kit.

ShooterAZ
01-01-2013, 05:30 PM
Nice tip. I had no problem chucking in a drill with mine, but it did make some tiny burs on them.

Metalshaper
01-01-2013, 05:46 PM
No problems here?? just make sure to chuck them in against the straight sided 'base' and spin away??
also snug up on it a bit,, cuz I have knocked one loose and sent it flying. The underhammers I've built
All use modified commercial cones.. my Muleys too, for that matter!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-02-2013, 02:45 PM
maybe i was pushing to hard , there was only about 1/8 of an inch of flat to grab them by , and i knocked one crooked a few times

i found i prefer the nut chucked up in the drill it is 1/4 inch to grab , and i can take the nipple out and try it test firing caps to make sure i got 1 hit every time , and not 2 strikes to set it off, but not go to far and have the cap be loose

fouronesix
01-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Yah, I think there isn't enough "meat" by chucking on the short, round collar. I've always chucked on the threaded nipple shank. Then lightly pressed a good condition mill file against the cone. I leave the nipple chucked up and check by feel for best cap fit. When it goes all the way down and bottoms out yet is still a little snug- I call it good. A two ended D&Td stem to chuck onto is not a bad idea- maybe a snowed-in type project. :)