PDA

View Full Version : Home views

Idaho Mule
12-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Winter scenes from home. And, some of the wife's home canning goodies.

56958 Looking NW from the top of our driveway.
56959 Steptoe Butte, WA, looking West from our driveway.
56960 Snowy driveway.
56961 Salmon River Grape jelly.
56962 Peaches & pears.

Olevern
12-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Can I come over for dinner ummm, desert?

Looks yummy!

Houndog
12-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Simply beautiful! And... You are awfully hard on a old man trying to loose a little weight! Hold on to that Mrs! It's awfully hard to find one these days that can boil water without burning it and it looks like yours has the cookin and cannin down pat! She's a keeper for shure!

smoked turkey
12-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Beautiful location. I think hot bisquits should be served in the morning with any of the canned goods!! With all those goodies, you are a rich man. I'll bet you already know that.

41 mag fan
12-29-2012, 08:14 AM
Looks a little cold there

Idaho Mule
12-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Thermometer says 20 degrees right now, not terrible cold.

41 mag fan
12-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Had another 5" of snow last night on top of the 18" we got Christmas night...it can go away now, I'm already tired of shoveling. I'm ready for spring, and 70* weather

blademasterii
12-29-2012, 03:39 PM
It is 84* today, I have the a/c on. Looks like tomorrow is gonna be about the same. I do enjoy looking at pictures of snow, but glad its only a picture. :D I love the concept of canning food, I just don't think it would work out well for me. The idea is to can it for the future... Which for me would be the next time I got hungry. Which doesn't take long. :D

starmac
12-29-2012, 03:56 PM
That is the idea behind canning, so that the next time you get hungry, it is there. We always canned every year and rotated it out constantly.

Charlie Two Tracks
12-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Very peaceful location. You don't have to wonder why you woke up with the neighbors car alarm going off and all the other stuff the city has to offer. Thanks for posting that. We can also and it's a whole lot better than store bought.
Salmon River grape jelly........... how good does that sound!

Idaho Mule
Starmac, yes the idea is to can it so's one can eat it, not look at it. The grapes we got for that jelly come from Eagle Creek that flows into the Salmon River south of Lewiston. The lighter colored stuff we picked in August and the darker was picked in November, same place to. That grape jelly is the best I have ever had, makes a wonderful PBJ sammich. Hounddog, yep, she's a keeper, thanks all. JW

blademasterii
My point was that there would be none to rotate. :D Good food that is relatively good for you and ready to eat at a moments notice doesn't last long at all around me. I've been known to eat two boxes worth of mac and cheese for lunch.

starmac
12-29-2012, 08:49 PM
LMAO, You would just need more jars, and they ain't cheap no more. lol

I have a canner for cans, but the price of cans have gone nuts, so we don't hardly use it.

waksupi
12-29-2012, 11:42 PM
Pretty area. I snap up canning jars at the yard sales in the summer! And try to remember to buy more lids every shopping trip.

starmac
12-30-2012, 01:07 AM
I grab jars at yard sales too, but you have to be quick about it as they don't hang around long.
Most places are not built to store food like we used to. When I was a kid the celler would easily hold a ton of taters, a ton of sweet taters, a few hundred pounds of onions and probably 2 or 3 years worth of canned goods.

10x
12-30-2012, 09:56 AM
I grab jars at yard sales too, but you have to be quick about it as they don't hang around long.
Most places are not built to store food like we used to. When I was a kid the celler would easily hold a ton of taters, a ton of sweet taters, a few hundred pounds of onions and probably 2 or 3 years worth of canned goods.

I have a dozen or so Nabob coffee jars from the 1930s that my grandma used to can with. I sold 15 dozen mason, jem, and off brand jars to a local lady who was just getting into canning. I still have 4 or 5 dozen jars.

My mom used to can every thing before we got electricity. The electric freezer changed all that.
We had canned beef, canned pork, canned chicken, canned vegetables, canned fruit, canned jams and jellies, canned marrow.
Even zuchinni - all in 1 quart glass jars.
There was a potato bin that was 4x4x8' and a smaller carrot bin full of sand.
The cold room was kept at 35F in the winter and was ideal for storing home canned goods.

BTW: Idaho Mule - very nice place you have there. Got a shooting bench on the back porch?

Idaho Mule
12-30-2012, 07:04 PM
10x, shooting bench is actually down in what we call our park. Have been a few deer taken off the front porch tho, shooting off hand. It is pretty tough living here, but we like it. JW

10x
12-30-2012, 10:50 PM
10x, shooting bench is actually down in what we call our park. Have been a few deer taken off the front porch tho, shooting off hand. It is pretty tough living here, but we like it. JW

When I am at my farm in the fall I carry my 30/06 to the privy, there is a bear den within 200 yards of the old farm house. and several years back I got a very nice mule deer buck on the way to the privy...

P.K.
12-31-2012, 09:19 AM
Pretty area. I snap up canning jars at the yard sales in the summer! And try to remember to buy more lids every shopping trip.

Didn't do the yard sale thing this year but will keep it in mind for next season. I'm gonna be eating pickles till that time any way....;-)

10x
12-31-2012, 09:31 AM

About ten years ago we had a shortage of lids for jars at the local stores. The shortage went all the way up the supply line.
Apparently some one in sales looked at the fact that they moved very slowly over a 6 month period and decided sales were too slow to keep them in inventory or re order.
Some folks in business have no idea that some things are seasonal....
A local hardware store dropped hunting license sales "because they only sold well in September and October..."

Beau Cassidy
01-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Looking at all that snow makes me kinda glad I didn't get that job in Montana last August.

zadeda
01-01-2013, 11:33 PM
All I can say is WOW!!

Finster101
01-02-2013, 12:09 AM
JW that is just downright gorgeous

smokeywolf
01-02-2013, 01:28 AM
Idaho Mule, gorgeous! And that doesn't even come close.
Can you say your approx. elevation without giving up too much?
How much time do you spend shoveling, blowing, or plowing each week?

We haven't started canning yet, but the wife has taken up baking. We haven't bought any bread, rolls, biscuits, cakes or any other baked goods in two or three months. I'm smelling fresh bread baking as I type this. My Mrs. and I would like to have the kind of seclusion that I imagine you enjoy. Although we've heard and read that Idaho is great place to set down roots, we still have our sights set on Texas. We might have been able to make a move by now but the wife's business cooled off quite a bit over the last 7 months and has become unpredictable. We are now planning our escape attempt for the summer of 2014.

Envious in Commifornia,

smokeywolf