PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a 22 today

Revolver
12-28-2012, 07:53 PM
I don't shoot much 22LR but ever since I got my Ruger Mark-I a number of years ago I've wanted one in stainless. All I saw is Stainless Mark-III's which don't share the same magazine. Found a Mark-II stainless today at what I feel was a reasonable price, mags will swap between both guns. I don't know why I prefer stainless, I just do. Attracted to shiny things I guess.

Pat I.
12-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Attracted to shiny things I guess.

So is the kitty it looks like. Nice looking pistol. Still trying to make my mind up between that, an SR22, and Bersa Thunder 22. Tough choice because they each have their strong points.

helice
12-28-2012, 08:41 PM
You are going to love that shiney thing.
I have one with a bull barrel and it shoots way better than I can.

runfiverun
12-28-2012, 09:38 PM
ditto that i found a mark-2 target and passed over an old high standard olympic for it.
i haven't regretted that choice ever.
even cheap-o federal eagle stuff shoots great in it.

HighHook
12-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Its the Ruger p08 Luger. Good stuff. They shoot great. My kids love those. My Cat prefers the blue version cause its not as cold to lay on...

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-28-2012, 09:46 PM
I love the Ruger Mark II
I shot one in League competition for several years.

BUT, I don't think the Mark I will use a Mark II Magazine...or vice-versa.
Jon

Revolver
12-28-2012, 11:13 PM

BUT, I don't think the Mark I will use a Mark II Magazine...or vice-versa.
Jon

I'll find out tomorrow. :)

DIRT Farmer
12-28-2012, 11:51 PM
I can't remember which magazine is for the mark 1 or the mark 2 so I just put a magazine in and shoot. Oh thats right the mk1 mag only holds 9 rds.

FLINTNFIRE
12-29-2012, 02:19 AM
mark 1 is a 9 shot with a chrome base plate does not work in mark 2 , or other way either . still good guns either one , like the mark 2 for the last shot hold open , sold a mark 2 stainless slab side to a left handed friend we switched the laminated wood grips to one of my blue mark 2 targets and he took the black plastic grips ,even if the clips do not swap you will enjoy it.

brassrat
12-29-2012, 02:24 AM
These always seem to be really accurate.

dagger dog
12-29-2012, 09:18 AM
You need to rethink your choice in caliber. A 22 rimfire is not enough when hunting such dangerous game as big cats!:bigsmyl2:

I shoot a MKII target 6 7/8" , it has the last shot bolt open feature, I can't remember if the MKI does, that may be the difference in the mags's between I-II, if my thoughts are correct.

historicfirearms
12-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Nice looking pistol. The mk1 and mk2 are some of my favorite guns ever made. I've got a suppressor coming and I need to get one of my mk2's barrel threaded for even more 22 fun.

x101airborne
12-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Just the other day I picked up a 22/45 with threaded muzzle NIB out the door for 414.00. I just cant pass that up. I hate that chinchy rear site they put on it. Totally non adjustable just a chunk of roughly shaped steel. I am not impressed with that, but the rest of the pistol is great.

Dont feel bad about being attracted to shiney things. So are crows, bobcats and beautiful women!

44man
12-29-2012, 10:48 AM
I had one of the first Mark I's with fixed sights. It was on at 25 yards and the bullet dropped through the line of sights at 80 yards. I shot real small stuff at 80 yards. Brother in law talked me out of it and still uses it. I have owned many and I won Ohio state IHMSA with a Mark II with no sight settings, 57 out of 60. I still have that gun and a Mark II stainless slab side. I have shot 10 shot one hole groups at 25 yards. I will never part with my Ruger's, best .22 ever made and I have shot them all from High Standard, 41 to Browning.
Run them to failure and just clean them, they are good for a thousand years.

Revolver
12-29-2012, 10:59 AM
So is the kitty it looks like.

This photo was taken moments before the cat grabbed the gun and went after the dog. Dumb cat didn't notice it wasn't loaded. Poor planning.

Smitty's Retired
12-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Very nice. You will enjoy it. I've always liked the Ruger Mark Series as well as the Browning Buck Marks. And I see it has the Kitty Seal of Approval.

Revolver
01-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Ok, got it figured out. Different revisions of the Mark I. Mark I frames 1971 and newer are designated A-100 by a stamp on the frame under the left grip, these will swap mags with the Mark II. Earlier than 1971 and you swap the follower button to the other side. I took the opportunity to make a video, also contains some vid of me shooting the Mark I and Mark II as well as magazine disassembly and mod. Looks like I got lucky and my Mark I and Mark II will share mags.

If anyone wants to see the vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKRq8aQ6Ils

mark 1 is a 9 shot with a chrome base plate does not work in mark 2 , or other way either . still good guns either one , like the mark 2 for the last shot hold open , sold a mark 2 stainless slab side to a left handed friend we switched the laminated wood grips to one of my blue mark 2 targets and he took the black plastic grips ,even if the clips do not swap you will enjoy it.

bucklind2
01-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Would like to have one of those myself. Good shooting weapons.

Hamish
01-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Revolver, nice video, very nice. (You homicidal gingerbread killer, you) @(;^]#>:::