PDA

View Full Version : Meat Grinders...

BCB
07-02-2007, 06:51 AM
I am looking to purchase a meat grinder before our hunting season this year. I say this every year and never seem to get it accomplished. I have an old electric grinder that is just plainly too small. The chunks of meat have to be less than an inch square and it is slow. It will grind about 10 pounds of meat in 40 minutes.

I am hoping for something that might be 1 to 1.5 horsepower and capable of grinding venison easily. I’m not looking for commercial grade as I ain’t a butcher and have no plans to become one! I know Cabala’s offers some, how about other suppliers? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks…BCB

Rottweiler
07-02-2007, 07:54 AM
http://www.sausagemaker.com/

http://www.lemproducts.com/

I have bought from both. Both are first rate companies willing to answer any questions you might have

Pepe Ray
07-02-2007, 01:05 PM
BCB;
Hi there, I bought my late wife a Kitchen Aid mixer. She was a master in the kitchen and loved to create wonderful dishes.(It was expensive). My son gave her the grinder attachment and it got as much use as the rest of the equipment. Worked beautifully. She'd grind all our burger "fresh". It was quite an awakening to me , from the old depression days and the table mounted hand crank.
Never regretted the investment.
Pepe Ray

fatnhappy
07-02-2007, 08:46 PM
BCB,

Check out weston supply. They're the authorized repair facility for pragotrade and trespade, manufacturers of the cabelas equipment. I bought a 1HP SS #22 grinder from them as a factory refurb about 2 years ago. It cost $250 to the door. Last April I had a couple guys over for "sausage fest." We ground and stuffed 400 lbs of venison sausage in 4 hours. My grinder blew through that meat like a congressman spends money.
They have a number of smaller models in the $150 dollar range that would serve yeomans duty on deer.

BTW they're located in cleveland and substantially cheaper than the sausageman or LEM.

dean

Johnch
07-02-2007, 09:19 PM
I have one from Cabelas
It has a 400 watt motor
They claim 1 - 2 lb a min
IMO 1 lb a min is about right for grinding deer meat

I found if I can feed it into the feed tube , it will grind it
The tube is about 1 1/2" in dia
I just cut strips and feed

Not the greatest for huge volumes , but 1 or 2 deer at a time for me
It works