PDA

View Full Version : Michigan non cpl holders no longer need a PPP

boltons75
12-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Just got back from one of my local gun shops, and as of last week in Michigan, non cpl holders do not need a pistol purchase permit anymore unless purchasing from a private individual. Interesting that Snyder let this one through, to streamline the ease of purchasing a pistol in Michigan.

starmac
12-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Interesting that you need one to make a private purchase. Hmmm

runfiverun
12-28-2012, 05:56 PM
yeah that's weird.
but so is having to register that you own a gun to buy powder/primers.

starmac
12-28-2012, 06:41 PM
yeah that's weird.
but so is having to register that you own a gun to buy powder/primers.

I have always liked road trips. lol

runfiverun
12-28-2012, 09:44 PM
yessir.
i have to drive for about two hours one way now to get an 8lb jug of powder.
or walk down to the corner shop for one lb.
i could tack on another 15 minutes and go to another state if'n i had to.

frkelly74
12-29-2012, 12:03 AM
I thought that change was dead finished at the end of the session when the Senate didn't vote on it. Do we still have to register?

historicfirearms
12-29-2012, 09:53 AM
What I heard on the local news is that we still need a permit. It's now good for 30 days (instead of ten) and you can get it from any police agency in the state.

Jailer
12-29-2012, 11:41 AM
I thought that change was dead finished at the end of the session when the Senate didn't vote on it. Do we still have to register?

Nope they pushed it through along with the others and it was signed but it got lost in all the hoopla over the CPL changes. Yes you still have to register.

What I heard on the local news is that we still need a permit. It's now good for 30 days (instead of ten) and you can get it from any police agency in the state.

Correct.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/Public_Act_377_406542_7.pdf

boltons75
12-29-2012, 11:53 AM
The guys at the gun counter issue the permit I'm assuming then. They sold a pistol and the guy did it all at the gun counter. All he has to do is take the registration to the local PD. No need to go to the sheriff or city PD to get the permit.

boltons75
12-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Nope they pushed it through along with the others and it was signed but it got lost in all the hoopla over the CPL changes. Yes you still have to register.

Correct.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/Public_Act_377_406542_7.pdf

From the above link,
If an individual purchases a pistol from a Federal Firearm Licensed (FFL) dealer, a LTP is not required. However, a PSR must be completed and the seller’s FFL number must be recorded on that form

boltons75
12-29-2012, 11:57 AM

This is only when purchasing from a non FFL seller.