PDA

View Full Version : Internet Acronyms for the Aged

Uncle Grinch
07-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Don't know about the rest of you, but quite often I seem to be ignorant of some of the various internet abbreviations that are used on these and other forums. I have been wondering what the heck IIRC stands for, so I said "Hey dummy... google it!"

BTW... (see I use them too) this is what I found...

http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/?lookup=I

SharpsShooter
07-02-2007, 06:27 AM
Hi Grinch,

We did a sticky about this very topic some time ago. Here is a link of what we came up with..............

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=3857

SS

44man
07-02-2007, 07:10 AM
It's getting so bad that all of our posts are going to be written like this; IGSBTAOOPAGTBWLT, which is what I said above. That code might have fooled the nazi's during the war!
The first time one of you does that, I will have to quit reading them.

Uncle Grinch
07-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Hi Grinch,

We did a sticky about this very topic some time ago. Here is a link of what we came up with..............

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=3857

SS

Thanks SharpShooter... I remember seeing it before, but it did not come up in my search, so I just googled it on the web. I appreciate the link.

ez4545
07-02-2007, 01:52 PM
That's a great page. I didn't find one for S E E. I remember reading what it was but can't recall???????

bill

Ricochet
07-02-2007, 01:59 PM
"Secondary Explosion Effect."

ez4545
07-02-2007, 10:23 PM
TYR,

Which is Thank YOU RICOCHET!

Bill

stanley2
07-02-2007, 11:24 PM
FBI " Female Body Inspector "

9.3X62AL
07-03-2007, 01:27 AM
FBI--Famous But Insufferable.

jballs918
07-03-2007, 02:12 AM
ty=thank you
brb=be right back
afk=away from keyboard
nm=never mind
bio= bathroom break
iirc=if i recall correctly
imo=in my opinion
imho=in my honest opinion

i will have more

nelsonted1
07-03-2007, 10:27 PM
I helpfully suggested a fellow's imho meant 'in my humble opinion". I got myself straightened out. I was clearly mistaken.

LarryM
07-03-2007, 11:09 PM
PEBKAC - Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair

Baron von Trollwhack
07-04-2007, 11:31 PM
......and perhaps the most famous of them all, ROTFLMAO, that is, Rolling on the floor laughing my *ss off. BvT

shooter575
07-05-2007, 12:10 PM
SWMBO is the most important one for us married guys

Uncle Grinch
07-05-2007, 01:58 PM
I have been thinking about these "acronyms" and technically most of them aren't true acronyms. They're abbreviations.

Acronyms are words typically formed from the first letter of each word in the phrase, ie... NATO, SNAFU.

Yeah... I know, I'm the one who started this thread using acronyms.

floodgate
07-05-2007, 02:03 PM
"SWMBO is the most important one for us married guys."

For those of you who are not old enough to have read the H. Rider Haggard Victorian adventure stories, "SWMBO" is the "code" for She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed", from the novels "She" and "Ayesha: The Return of She". These deal with the return in time (with the aid of some prime dope called "taduki") of Allen Quatermain (a precursor of Indiana Jones), to an era when the Near East and Africa were ruled by a sort of early-day "Wonder Woman", who was never to be named, but whose subjects referred to her as "She Who-etc., etc."

The humorous mystery stories about a lawyer, "Rumpole of the Old Bailey" from the '60's (?) re-cycled the term, for Rumpole's terrifying wife, which is whence it came into present-day usage.

This is all from long-buried memory, so I may have mis-stated a dates, places or names; but I though it would add a bit of spice to the thread.

Haggard doesn't read so well to me, these days; the plots are outrageous and creaky; but Quatermain was a deadly shot with his "Cape Gun" (side-by-side, smooth and rifled bores) [back on topic].

floodgate