PDA

View Full Version : I am wanting a flintlock kit

horsesoldier
12-28-2012, 04:13 AM
For 500 or 600 dollars is it possible for me to get a decent flintlock kit? I dont want to go cheap, especially with a flinter. I was looking at North Star West and I am interested in a period correct firearm.Rifled or smooth, leaning towards a smooth bore to double as a shotgun.What I am looking for is 75 yard deer rifle that will fire when its damp outside, unlike my great plains rifle which is a cap lock.I have read a good flinter is just as reliable or even more reliable than a cap lock. Is my price range still too low for this? Glad I found this site!

Dean D.
12-28-2012, 05:29 AM
Waksupi can probably answer your questions about North Star West guns as he builds many of them for Matt. The only advice I can give you is do not scrimp on your kit or you will probably regret it. It is definitely worth saving up a bit more money for exactly what you want than to try and pinch pennies.

gon2shoot
12-28-2012, 08:29 AM
The "North Star" guns are worth the money to me. Go to thier site and check options and prices. Then buy it anyway. lol

Boerrancher
12-28-2012, 09:37 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with a North Star trade gun. I love my North West trade gun. It did not take long for it to become my favorite firearm to walk about the farm with. I use it for both small and large game hunting. It does not take long to dump out the shot and insert a patched round ball if the opportunity for larger game happens to come walking by. Mine happens to be a 20 ga, or 62 cal, don't let folks tell you that a smooth bore is not as accurate as a rifle, at most ML hunting distances. The last and only 2 shooting matches I have done with my trade gun I came it 4th and 1st, out of 15 or more shooters and I was the only one using a smooth bore. Inside of 80 yards a raccoon sized critter or larger is dead on the spot with a PRB out of my trade gun.

Best wishes,

Joe

Bullshop
12-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Interesting! I have a single barrel 12 gauge cap lock that has been set up with a peep rear sight and a ramp front with bead. I have never realy givin it much effort to see what it will do but now I think I should. Those 12 bore RBs are quite impresive in size and I guess I can make them from about any lead alloy I can find.

John Boy
12-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Flint lock gun kits - take your pick ... https://www.google.com/search?q=flint+lock+rifle+kits&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb

Hanshi
12-28-2012, 01:14 PM
I have come to believe the best deals on quality kits come from either NSW or TVM. They are among the "easiest" kits to build, not assemble, but build. I'm hoping to get kits from both eventually for two guns I've wanted for a long time.

waksupi
12-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Well, I am prejudiced, but I think the North Star is the easiest build. That, plus the life time guarantee on the lock is a good thing.

KCSO
12-28-2012, 02:53 PM
My first trade gun was a 12 bore kit from Curly way back when. I remember him telling me to get a 20 but I had LOTS of 12 Ga wads I wanted to use. The finished gun weighed 6 1/2 pounds and would group 3 round balls into 2" offhand at 25 yards, the 4th shot went about a foot low and the fifth went into the ground, boy did that thing kick. BUT the gun is still in our club having went through about 6 of us and it is still working after 6 owners and 30 or more years of use. To date the only thing done to the gun was to reface the frizzen after about 5000??? shots. I have built guns from parts from Pecotonica, Track, Dixie and restocked a couple originals and if I were looking again I would go to North Star.

Mike Brooks
12-28-2012, 03:29 PM
High quality kits go for about $900 these days. Check out Chambers Flintlocks. I've built dozens of them and they are worth the money. All high quality parts and no corners cut.

DIRT Farmer
12-28-2012, 03:58 PM
My 11 ga Brown Bess will do what you requested, more than enough to hit with in minuite of deer with round ball at 75 yds, turkey to 35 yds, doves rabbits and quail at resonable ranges and have killed ducks and geese. Th gun has broken way more clay targets than I could ever keep track of. Recoil from the round ball loads was feroucious and then some. I though the high comb was the problem, so I built a 20 ga. Basicly I shot the same loads with shot as the Bess but I still did not like the recoil with round ball.
I came to he conclusion that after a lot of study that if I wanted a gun that placed my eye correctly for shooting shot I would have to accept the "precieved" higher recoil or go to a smaller bore. The last gun is a 28 ga which allows loads to 1 1/8 oz with shot and aceptable recoil with my face down in the aiming position when fireing RB.
In answer to the question on parts, Your price range is what I spent on parts in 2002. I did pick what I wanted and did not skimp.

waksupi
12-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Mike, I have had the problem with a couple of Chambers, that the pre-inlet barrel channel was taken out too much, and I had to use filler strips to close the gaps. I still think they have the best lock on the market, but they certainly still need some tuning when you get them.

horsesoldier
12-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Waksupi, If I was to order a kit from North Star West or even a finished rifle, would the lock be tuned when I ordered it? I am a complete Newby one it comes to flintlocks.

RU shooter
12-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Ill be watching this thread as I'm also looking for a decent parts kit. Its very confusing for those of us that lack the experience building/assembling these things. Seems like most places use the same barrels and same locks and offer the same stock inletting options .So whats the difference between them? And how am I or anyone suppose to know whats good and what aint ? I know people say price will dictate quality If they are selling the same parts what makes one better and not just more expensive? I'm sure not every company that is selling kits is carving and inletting their own stocks instead buying them from only a handful of different suppliers As I said how does one know?

Mike Brooks
12-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Ill be watching this thread as I'm also looking for a decent parts kit. Its very confusing for those of us that lack the experience building/assembling these things. Seems like most places use the same barrels and same locks and offer the same stock inletting options .So whats the difference between them? And how am I or anyone suppose to know whats good and what aint ? I know people say price will dictate quality If they are selling the same parts what makes one better and not just more expensive? I'm sure not every company that is selling kits is carving and inletting their own stocks instead buying them from only a handful of different suppliers As I said how does one know?
Always interesting peoples experience with the different kits. I have just the opposite problem with Chambers the past few years as the barrel inlet is too small! :lol: I have rarely had any trouble with a Chambers lock and can usually use them right out of the box with no tune up, same with certain RE Davis locks.

Mike Brooks
12-28-2012, 07:58 PM

Most pre carved stocks are cut by two companies. Pecatonica and Bob Leply. Chambers stocks are cut by Leply. Chambers uses mostly his own unique parts sets. Others use parts that are widely available on the market that may or may not be appropriate for the kit.
I recommend finding a truly knowledgeable person that has more than a few years of experience to give you advice on what kits will work for you.

waksupi
12-28-2012, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=horsesoldier;1977815]Waksupi, If I was to order a kit from North Star West or even a finished rifle, would the lock be tuned when I ordered it? I am a complete Newby one it comes to flintlocks.[/QUOTE

They North Star are generally pretty good as they come, as Matt assembles all of them by hand. I always check them when I put the guns together, and if there was any problems with them I tune them up. I can't remember the last one that needed any help, I think I may have cleaned up a sear engagement on one last year, they are generally well done. We like the redundant inspection of the locks. Matt looks at them, Robin looks at them, then I look at them.

I much prefer a barrel channel slightly small. It's easier to take some out, than put some in!
Chambers locks will function just fine as they come, but can certainly be improved. I have not had any from Jim that I did not need to clean up the sear/tumbler engagement. Looking at them under a powerful magnifier will generally show a very rough engagement on the tumbler, and to a lesser extent on the sear.
I can take them from a 4# trigger to around 1# with a properly hung trigger, without changing any length or angles on the contact surfaces. I set up my engraver sharpening jig, and diamond hone the rough engagement surfaces. I would not try it free hand.
I don't recommend that light of a trigger for someone who doesn't shoot them all the time, but it is quite easy to do, and still have a fully engaged half cock and full cock position.

tacklebury
12-28-2012, 10:09 PM
I settled on Sitting fox for the ones I'm getting, might want to take a look. I like the fact that he has a good variety too. ;)

http://www.sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/intro.html

Mike Brooks
12-28-2012, 10:36 PM
I settled on Sitting fox for the ones I'm getting, might want to take a look. I like the fact that he has a good variety too. ;)

That would probably be one of my last choices.

waksupi
12-29-2012, 01:36 AM

Those are the worst of the worst. Another member here bought parts there for me to build him a rifle. By the time I fixed all that was wrong with it, the shop hours cost more than if he would have got the good stuff to start with. You WILL regret wasting money on this.

Keep in mind, both Mike and I are professional builders, and won't steer you wrong on this stuff.

horsesoldier
12-29-2012, 02:06 AM
Thanks guys. Waksupi I will bug you with more questions once I get the cash scrapped up

RU shooter
12-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Those are the worst of the worst. Another member here bought parts there for me to build him a rifle. By the time I fixed all that was wrong with it, the shop hours cost more than if he would have got the good stuff to start with. You WILL regret wasting money on this.

Keep in mind, both Mike and I are professional builders, and won't steer you wrong on this stuff. If I could ask ,What all was wrong with them? Inlet in wrong locations or ? I was looking at them too so I would like to know why they are to be avoided.

waksupi
12-29-2012, 01:36 PM
If I could ask ,What all was wrong with them? Inlet in wrong locations or ? I was looking at them too so I would like to know why they are to be avoided.

First off, when the stock arrived. It had a huge knot hole in the butt. Nothing you could hide, and something they should have obviously seen before it was shipped, especially since they had reassured the buyer they would hand select a stock for him. So, that was sent back for a replacement, after several emails back and forth, phone calls, and a fair amount of whining on their part.
The inletting was sloppy. Had a lot of fixing to do there.
The ramrod channel wasn't drilled, except for the first couple inches into the stock. The rest of it had been routed out through the barrel channel, severely weakening the stock. Another patch job to fix.
Incorrect furniture for the type of rifle they advertised. Had to get the right parts from TOW.
They are just not worth "saving" a hundred bucks, for the extra work they involve. Certainly a poor choice for a first build, and one that an experienced builder will refuse to work on. I know I will never do another with those parts.

Hanshi
12-29-2012, 04:06 PM
I agree with Mike and waksupi; stay away from those kits. I rate the kits is this order: TVM & NSW as 1 and 2 though they are really about equal. Chambers I rate #3. There are other good ones but these may be among the best.

waksupi
12-29-2012, 05:40 PM
I would certainly put the Chambers up in the top three. I just consider it a better project for someone with some building experience under their belt, to be able to produce as fine a gun as possible with the parts. I love my Chambers fowler, but my NW trade gun is still my rough and tumble hunting gun.

oldracer
12-29-2012, 07:44 PM
I bought my percussion kit from these folks and I have been very happy. I posted a series of pictures as I was building it so hopefully they are still here after the software upgrade. Here is one just in case. I had them do several things: front and rear sight dovetails, underlug dovetails, thread and install the breech plug, partial inlet of the stock and the ram rod slot. I used a 42 inch barrel and it shoots great out to 200 yards with patched round balls. I did have trouble with the focus of the front sight so I made another rear one with a penny and a small hole and the focus issue was cleared up. I worked on it for about 3 months mostly the wood work as it is hard to put wood back! A company named Gunline Tools near L.A. CA sells a barrel inlet scraper and it was wonderful.

http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/

RU shooter
12-30-2012, 09:57 AM
I agree with Mike and waksupi; stay away from those kits. I rate the kits is this order: TVM & NSW as 1 and 2 though they are really about equal. Chambers I rate #3. There are other good ones but these may be among the best. is the TVM you mention TV Manufacturing or TV muzzleloaders?

Mike Brooks
12-30-2012, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't recommend either of the TVM's either, They have some serious basic architecture flaws.

nekshot
12-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Any one know any thing of north stars canoe gun? That thing sure seems to be the cats meow for hunting in these congested ravines we have. How much of a disadvantage would that 20 inch barrel be for out to 100 yards? I know it would be fine for 75 and under.

waksupi
12-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Any one know any thing of north stars canoe gun? That thing sure seems to be the cats meow for hunting in these congested ravines we have. How much of a disadvantage would that 20 inch barrel be for out to 100 yards? I know it would be fine for 75 and under.

I've built a few of them, and shot them at competitions. As you know, you do loose some sight radius, but that isn't much of a factor with no rear sight. The shorter butt stock takes a bit of getting used to, although when hunting in cold weather wearing several layers of clothes, it may be a better stock length than the standard 13.5" pull. As far as longer range accuracy, the more you shoot any of them, the better you get. Once you have established a sight picture, it just takes practice.

Hanshi
12-30-2012, 03:11 PM
TVM(uzzleloading). They are custom builders which means you can leave it to them and get a generic rifle or you can SPECIFY what you want even if it's an exact copy of a historical gun.

Mike Brooks
12-30-2012, 06:59 PM
TVM(uzzleloading). They are custom builders which means you can leave it to them and get a generic rifle or you can SPECIFY what you want even if it's an exact copy of a historical gun.

As long as you learn to squint your eyes just right they'll look like anything you want them too.[smilie=1:

Col4570
01-02-2013, 08:19 AM
I have just completed a 16 gauge flintlock Shotgun.Kits are quite expensive here in the UK so I set about one from scratch.I have put a step by step progress with Photos on the MLAGB website forum under the Title 16 gauge flintlock shotgun.It was quite a marathon but worth the effort.
Best Regards.http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/001-18.jpg

nekshot
01-02-2013, 10:01 AM
col4570, That is really a nice piece. Some how that gun just fits your islands image of moors and highlands same as a levergun fits ours. Great job!

Col4570
01-02-2013, 10:24 AM
nekshot,thanks for that,Shooting is still alive and kicking here in the UK.Just been reading,"How the west was almost lost,Jefferson and the Gun-Men, by M.R.Mongomery.About the Lewis and Clark expeditions,very evocative of your early and colourfull history.The M L A G B have a similar site to cast Boolits, the forum is interesting for those who enjoy Shooting old stuff.
Best regards.

Col4570
01-02-2013, 10:28 AM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/KentuckyLongRifleJan2012002.jpg

This is the first Flintlock I made during the 70s.

fouronesix
01-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Col4570,
Very attractive guns there- I like them. Thanks for posting!
I have to say the 16 ga seems to have a UK/European look to it while the 70s flinter has an American look.

Col4570
01-02-2013, 12:13 PM
fouronesix,thank you,the single flintlock shotgun is indeed based on an English style Fowler,I have just recently completed it.The gun has to be proofed, I will then brown the Barrel.I made the metalwork two years ago and shelved the project,I continued with the project a couple of months ago haveing got hold of a nice piece of Walnut .The American style long Rifle is 50 cal and Rifled.I rifled it with a piece ofTwisted Flat Bar running between two Rollers.I made a small dividing head for seven grooves,made a rifleing head on a rod,bolted the lot to a long piece of timber and slowly rifled the tube, which is Solid Drawn Steel filed to an octagon.The timber unfortunately is not Maple or Walnut but an African Hardwood.
Best Regards.

fouronesix
01-02-2013, 01:54 PM
My oh my! Hats off to you for rifling the barrel using the old techniques. Humbles me I'll tell ya.

Col4570
01-02-2013, 04:47 PM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/P1010011.jpg
This is an American type muzzleloading target rifle inspired by Ned Roberts Book "the Muzzleloading Cap lock Rifle. 50 cal1turn in 26" Rifled using the same techniques.I made a single set trigger for this one.It shoots a conical bullet .http://i1052.photobucket.com/albhttp://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/P1010011.jpgums/s452/livebattery/P1010011.jpg

Col4570
01-02-2013, 04:51 PM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/P1010012-1.jpg
A close view.

Test Firing the 16 Gauge Flintlolck.

Col4570
01-09-2013, 07:11 AM
57989http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/securedownload.png

nekshot
01-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Wow, does this picture bring back memories. Every time I smell the sulfer smell of bp I remember the damp wet mornings and the heavy sulfer smell in the air from the coal fires in the village below us. You sure are enjoying the fruits of your labor. Now, for a spot o tea and a scone! (or a aberdeen roll and lemon curd!) nekshot

Col4570
01-09-2013, 01:43 PM
neckshot,This was the first test firing of the 16 gauge Flintlock.I just had a few shots and hit a few clays,then went on to shoot my AYA side by side,my eldest Grandson (age 27) borrowed my Miroku O/U,he is new to shooting but keeps on beating me (beginers luck).As for the Tea I always take a Flask to keep out this cold climate.No food though her in doors would,nt like it if I did,nt eat my Roast beef roast potatoes and yorkshire pudding when I get home.
Regards

fouronesix
01-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Col4570,
Another great photo! Thanks for posting.

Some pretty interesting things in the pic. Expected are the pan/vent flash and the billowing smoke way out in front. But the most interesting, to me at least, is the linear, focused, concentrated plasma stream extending from and inline with the bore!

Col4570
01-09-2013, 05:35 PM
fouronesix, The strange thing is that the flame can be barely seen at the time or is so brief.The camera shot must have been exactly on time to capture the moment.
Regards.
Click on the following picture to see firing.

GARD72977
01-23-2013, 03:03 AM
anyone build a kit from PECATONIC RIVER. Got one of there books and thinking about something like a percussion OHIO RIFLE.