PDA

View Full Version : R. I. P. Stormin Norman

Highway41
12-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Always admired the general.

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-retired-gen-norman-schwarzkopf-dies-002111413--politics.html

LUCKYDAWG13
12-27-2012, 09:30 PM
i liked him as well rest in piece

Jim
12-27-2012, 09:31 PM
The Bear, a 'no BS' get 'er done soldier. Thank you for defending my freedom, General. Rest easy, Sir.

Gliden07
12-27-2012, 10:02 PM
R.I.P. "Stormin Norman"

During the Gulf war he did a News Briefing showing a smart bomb video of a bridge, he says to the reporters "Your about to see the luckest man in Kwait" as the bomb disinigrats the bridge he was driving over to safety!! I'll never forget that as long as I live.

scarry scarney
12-27-2012, 10:08 PM
A long and farewell salute to an American Hero.

Infidel
12-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Farewell Sir. You will be missed.

Got-R-Did
12-27-2012, 11:42 PM
We are diminished!
Got-R-Did.

Love Life
12-27-2012, 11:50 PM
Wow. I am deeply saddened. He has been one of my heroes for as far back as I can remember. He was and still is my most cherished Desert Storm card.

It is hard for me to put into words how sad I am about this. Rest in peace Sir, and may you command in Heaven as you did on earth.

smokeywolf
12-28-2012, 06:32 AM
Another of our greatest Generals gone. A great loss to what is left of our country.
Stormin' Norman, thank you is just not enough.

smokeywolf

41 mag fan
12-28-2012, 08:36 AM
He would of made a good president...

o6Patient
12-28-2012, 09:23 AM
"Requiescat in Pace" Mr. Schwartscoff

sundog
12-28-2012, 10:08 AM
R.I.P. "Stormin Norman"

During the Gulf war he did a News Briefing showing a smart bomb video of a bridge, he says to the reporters "Your about to see the luckest man in Kwait" as the bomb disinigrats the bridge he was driving over to safety!! I'll never forget that as long as I live.

That, and one of the many news conferences he did when he dressed down a reporter for continually asking about submarines (which were an off limits topic - as they should be).

Great soldier!

pdawg_shooter
12-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Goodby and thank you. Hope you can hook up with George Patton. Sure would like to listen in on that conversation!

lbaize3
12-28-2012, 12:49 PM
He was a heck of a young officer in Vietnam and he seasoned rather well to lead our initial fight in the sandbox. I have long admired his no-nonsense leadership. He will be missed, but I know God will have a leadership role for him in heaven.

1Shirt
12-28-2012, 02:22 PM
My former brother in law was one of the General's bodyguards during Desert Storm. He admired the general who he considered to be a true gentleman, great leader, and one who thought of his men. There are not that many at the star level that statements like that can be made of today. A friend of mine, ret. AF Col. makes the statement "You make 06 (Col or Capt in the Navy) based on performance, you make stars based on the will of congress!" I believe that is true, and as a result, more than a few star and flag officers today are political puppets.
1Shirt!

starbits
12-28-2012, 02:40 PM
I met him once during Desert Storm. Shaking hands was like shaking with a catchers mitt. Big guy in more ways than one.

Starbits

JeffinNZ
12-28-2012, 04:03 PM
A classic case of a very well qualified man not listened to. If he had been given the mandate to go from Kuwait to Turkey in 1991 we may not have the mess we are in now.

shooter93
12-28-2012, 07:12 PM
I liked the interview I saw done with him in the Gulf......he had a shotgun leaning in the corner that the reporter was constantly looking at. She finally asked incredously....is that loaded General.....he replied ofcourse...Yes it is ma'am.....when she then asked why he merely said.....You do understand this is a combat zone don't you?

horsesoldier
12-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Rip!!!

Down South
12-28-2012, 09:54 PM
RIP, George senior should have let him finish off Saddam the first go round. The General sure wanted to.

EdZ KG6UTS
12-29-2012, 01:23 PM
RIP, George senior should have let him finish off Saddam the first go round. The General sure wanted to.

When the shooting stopped there were only 130 miles between our armor and Bagdad defended by reinforced Iraqi infantry pulled from the Iranian border. That was infantry with apcs and little artillery, no match for US tanks. If it wasn't for the whine to keep the 'coalition' together it could have been a drive to Turkey. The General bought dinner for my partner and me for work we did for him at the start of the air war. On Christmas day he came into the MODA to wish all those working a Merry Christmas, shook hands and thanked everybody. Maybe 1Shirt's brother inlaw was one of the body guards with him???? Back then I kept messing up and calling Riyhad "Saigon".

EdZ KG6UTS