PDA

View Full Version : visit to local gun shop today

Olevern
12-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Today is the last day I will be in New Jersey for awhile (have to go home and get some surgery on my shoulder) so I stopped over to a gun shop that usually has good prices and where I do quite a bit of business. While I was there, the counter persons fielded almost constant phone calls and all of them were asking if they had any AR-15 platform rifles left (they didn't). Also inquiries about availability of .223 ammo (they were out). Now this is a store that stocks pretty deeply on those two items, but the answer to the inquiries was that they were out of stock, were taking no 'holds' for when they got some in and had no idea when their suppliers would be able to ship more.

Looked in the case for used handguns and found two 3 screw super blackhawks, one priced at $400.00 and the other (virtually new) for $450.00. Also a single six 3 screw and two 357 mag blackhawk 3 screws, one in the short barrel length and the other a 6 1/2".

Apparently all were received from the same older gentleman and most of the were shot little.

Now I have a quandry; can't afford all of them but which one do I want? I'm torn between the 4 5/8" 3 screw .357 mag and the $400.00 super blackhawk.

Will have to sort it out before I leave tomorrow, 'cause I have a check in my pocket for $200.00 for some vocal work I did down here over Christmas and they have a layaway.

This may be decided by which one is still in stock when I stop in tomorrow morning if I can't decide. I have a 6 1/2" 3 screw blackhawk in .357 mag, but that short one sure felt handy in the hand. On the other hand, I've beeen wanting to find a super in nice condition that I could afford.

decisions...decisions..

Well, if I go back tomorrow and both are gone, I guess I'll go home $200.00 richer and still looking for my next purchase.

The mad money will keep.

GOPHER SLAYER
12-27-2012, 05:25 PM
By all means, get the 3 screw short barrel 357. They don't make them anymore. You can always by a SBH. Those beasts are too heavy anyway. Had one in 44 mag. Couldn't sell it fast enough.

starmac
12-27-2012, 05:53 PM
I would be inclined to go with the 44 if it is also a 3 screw and I all ready had a 357, but you have to make yourself happy. lol

41 mag fan
12-27-2012, 06:14 PM
i'd have to buy both!! But thats because I'm greedy on the 3 screws!

Wayne Smith
12-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Vern, it depends on what you already have. I have a 44 mag Ruger 7.5" barrel, two S&W 357's, both 6". I would buy a short barreled .357 since I don't have one. Both of my .38" are short barreled. For me, a short barreled .357 or a long barreled .38 would be my choice. Those are what I don't have.

Buy what pleases you.

Olevern
12-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Wayne,
I have two S&W model 29's, one a 6 1/2" and the other a 8 3/8", but no 7 1/2" Ruger Superblackhawks. I do have a Ruger new model .44 mag short barrel stainless. In .357 mag I have a three screw 6 1/2" Ruger, and several Smith and Wesson .357 mags including the 3" 686, 3" model 60 and 6 1/2" model 27-2.

So, short barrel or long, I probably have all covered, but I do have a fondness for the old model Rugers.

deep creek
12-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Love my .44SBH it did a magic trick for me two years ago.turned an unruly black bear that thought i looked like lunch into a rug.320grn LBT cast boolit 21.5grns 296 .

Blacksmith
12-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Put $100 down on each, it may take a little longer 'till it's in your hand but in the end you'll have both.

Olevern
12-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Put $100 down on each, it may take a little longer 'till it's in your hand but in the end you'll have both.

Obvious solution except my "mad money" is rather limited and I would be taking a step of faith that other, undesignated money would come in to cover an eight hundred dollar purchase over the next 60 days.

One I know I can cover.

There will be other good buys come by, I will be happy with one of the two.

(BTW; still undecided)

Olevern
12-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Well, the three screw Ruger Super Blackhawk is on layaway. It was a tough decision but I have been looking for one for quite some while. Not seen too frequently around this area and pretty pricy when you do find one.

The last one I drooled over was priced at $695.00 and the shop got it sold within three days.

This one is in just as good shape and priced at only $400.00.

That is why I stop in this shop frequently, last trip down a bought a Hi Standard Victor for IIRC $425.00, complete with two magazines and a dot sight (irons there as well). Again, priced fairly as most I have seen the owners were proud of to the tune of just under $700.00.

I hadn't had the dealer ship the Victor to my local dealer because, as I told him, "I'll probably buy another handgun in the near future and you can ship two together".

This is that second gun.

Idaho Mule
12-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Olevern, tough choice there but it sounds like you did well, happy shootin'. JW