PDA

View Full Version : Proof I need a range finder.

Adam10mm
12-27-2012, 01:50 AM
About a month or so ago I posted about wanting to build a .358 Winchester in the Remington Model 7 rifle platform for the longest shot at the farm I hunt on. Figuring I could stalk half the distance but might need to poke a bullet reaching the edges of the field, I posted a picture of what I thought was 300-400y. Holy **** was I ever wrong. The Field & Stream Outdoorsman Skills Manual gave me a tip on how to calculate distance using the toolbar. Bring up the location then select "Show Ruler" on the toolbar, Click on the down arrow and select "yards". Your cursor is now the crosshair. Double click to set the first point, then move the mouse and the window inset will display the yardage.

All distances give me a +/- 10 yards due to technology and computer screen accuracy.

So here's an overhead shot of the farm. It's 140 acres (boundary not illustrated). That big water to the left is Lake Superior. Property starts on the corner of the intersection and goes along the road to the East (right of screen). It's two 40 acre parcels side by side, then a 40 acre parcel, then two 10 acre parcels side by side on top of that single 40 parcel. Like a pyramid stack of sorts.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/OverheadViewofFarm.png

There's a teardrop shaped set of woods on the left side, right above that is the ATV trail (private) that runs the length of the property. A little above that there's a small clearing with a small woodlot then a dark line. That dark line is the edge of the property on that side.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/PondBuildingsLowerFieldOverhead.png

The pond to the edge of the big field is 715y.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/PondtoBigField715y.png

The edge of the woods past the pond to the edge of the field is 535y. This is where I took the photo from in the previous thread.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/WoodstoBigField535y.png

Lower field length is 212y.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/LowerField212y.png

Stretching the length of the big field give me a possible shot of 911y.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/BigFieldLongestShot911y.png

So yeah, I need to get a range finder before next season. I had a spike about halfway north of the pond in the big field, which would put it about 350 yards away from the pond. I stalked to within 50-60 yards of it trying to get a solid shot with my 10mm pistol. Ended up dropping my glove and it spooked. I'm glad I passed up on the longer shot I was going to take in favor of stalking closer. Doing that made me learn a valuable lesson.

horsesoldier
12-27-2012, 03:00 AM
leica 1200 rf.Its the best

x101airborne
12-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Yep, they can be indespensible. Real nice write up and pictures. I am gonna have to check that out.

Catsmith
12-27-2012, 09:53 AM
gonna have to find that tool online. i have been decieved a few times myself.

richhodg66
12-27-2012, 10:14 AM
I've thought about buying a range finder a few times, but truthfully, the way I hunt, I never shoot a deer past 100 yards and the vast majority of the time they are much closer.

In a previous life, I was an Artillery forward observer. At my first real trial at the National Training Center in May of 1989, I would have almost sold my soul to have had a small portable machine to give me an accurate range, never mind what I would have done for a GPS, LOL. Man, has technology changed the way we live.

leadman
12-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Swaro is probably the best. The new Lieca, I think it is a 1,600, is what a friend is using in Wyoming and he is a very hardcore long range speciality pistol shooter (3" groups at 1K yards).
I have a Nikon 1,200 and it does real good on deer sized objects to 800 yards. Longer ranges need larger objects.
Vortex has a new 1K out but I have not read any reviews on it yet.

x101airborne
12-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Swaro is probably the best. The new Lieca, I think it is a 1,600, is what a friend is using in Wyoming and he is a very hardcore long range speciality pistol shooter (3" groups at 1K yards).
I have a Nikon 1,200 and it does real good on deer sized objects to 800 yards. Longer ranges need larger objects.
Vortex has a new 1K out but I have not read any reviews on it yet.

Is that really 3" at 1K yards? I would think 3' at 1K would be master status. Or a typo. Either way heck of a pistol shooter.

303Guy
12-27-2012, 08:11 PM
I've always wanted a range finder and have on occasion had a need for one. I still want one and have a need for one! The great thing is the price has come down a lot since I first looked into one. Golf range finders aside - they don't work. Those use the flag sick height to calculate (the cheap ones do). The laser ones cost the same as hunting ones.

Anyway, I'm looking to get one in a few weeks. That will free me of needing a fast boolit for flat shooting. The primary use will be for shooting rabbits in the grass fields using a hornet, 22 subsonic or paper patched Brit. I often have to pass (or miss) longer shots with the 22lr. But do these things work in the dark?

Here's my rabbit hunting farm. The pigs are in the bushes in the bottom right.

This pig!
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/Piggy-1.jpg

Blammer
12-27-2012, 09:42 PM
I'd get out and do some walking with some property stakes and orange tape.

If you have a 100yd range just count how many steps/strides you take to go 100yds.

From your hunting spot, step it off and put a flag down, then go another 100yds put a flag down. I would make the stakes a known height and distance and make them somewhat permanent. It will help you quickly be able to say "hmm that deer is between 100 and 200yds away" and later you can get some specifics of " closer or farther" from the 100 marker or 200yd marker.

A range finder is good if you have something to bounce it off of. A treeline may be difficult to get an accurate reading on, if you are not directly across from it.

You may want to set up some targets of known size, such as 8x11 piece of paper on cardboard, that way when you look through your scope you'll have a "size reference".

quilbilly
12-27-2012, 11:59 PM
When you get your range finder (I like my Nikon), just tack a 24"x24" piece of cardboard painted white to a wood stake and plant it various places from your favorite firing positions. Note the ranges you read. Pretty soon you will be able to judge the ranges yourself by eye even if you are carrying the range finder

runfiverun
12-28-2012, 12:35 AM
we set up a course of fire by using the range finder one time, after that everything was a known distance.
i know deer are not afraid of wooden stakes, small wind flags [aka marker tape] fence posts with signs that have words on them [something like 150 yds would be good, no hunting seems to work better] and other assorted stuff like old car doors,rusty milk cans,old plow discs, and farm implements.
they definatly are not afraid of spray painted trees either.

StrawHat
12-28-2012, 07:22 AM
...So yeah, I need to get a range finder before next season. I had a spike about halfway north of the pond in the big field, which would put it about 350 yards away from the pond. I stalked to within 50-60 yards of it trying to get a solid shot with my 10mm pistol. Ended up dropping my glove and it spooked. I'm glad I passed up on the longer shot I was going to take in favor of stalking closer. Doing that made me learn a valuable lesson...

If you can stalk to within 60 yards, you don't need a range finder, just a little more practice with your firearm of choice!