PDA

View Full Version : Gotta brag on Leatherman

DLCTEX
12-26-2012, 07:25 PM
My Leatherman Super Tool had some problems after 6-7 years of hard use including a broken saw blade, gapped wire cutters, and some of the screw driver blades worn and twisted. I use this tool daily in my work and play both. I was reluctant to give it up long enough to let them warranty it, so I finally bought a new one at WalMart for $69 and mailed the old one in. I figured it would take a month to get it back, but it was just eight days with Christmas in the mix. Today I received a new Super Tool 300, just like the one I bought recently. Since they no longer make the old style, they sent the new one with replaceable cutter blades. The warranty is 25 years and this is the second time they have warranted it. Believe me, this is a tough tool and has stood up to rough treatment better than two replacements would indicate. They paid shipping back to me. The blades/tools lock solidly and will not fold under pressure. I have tried Gerber, Buck, and a number of cheaper brands, with no satisfaction. Just a plug for a good American company.

historicfirearms
12-26-2012, 08:00 PM
I'll second that. I've got a little Leatherman Squirt that I carry in my pocket everyday. I broke the little pliers on it while trying to turn a 9/16 nut with it, something it was obviously never intended to do, and absolutely abuse of the tool on my part. I sent it in to Leatherman with a note explaining what I did, and they sent a new tool back, no questions asked. Leatherman is a great American company.

Artful
12-26-2012, 08:28 PM
My problem with Leatherman isn't the tool - it's the man.
When he came out in support of Kerry for President...

Dear Sir or Madam:

I assure you I have personally read your e-mail. However, due
to the volume of messages received, I cannot give a personalized
response to each to you.

However, here in a nutshell is a general response:

Because I publicly stated how I am going to cast my vote,
almost all of you have threatened a boycott against my company.

So be it.

I took a position, and now I will accept the consequences.

I am still going to do my absolute best to make great tools and
hope that you and all Americans, of every political affiliation,
will find them of value. If not today, someday.

Tim Leatherman
President
Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.

let not forget the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) issued leatherman tool with the motto: "Always Think Forfeiture" on it

DLCTEX
12-26-2012, 09:24 PM
If you boycott everyone who supports a candidate you don't agree with you'll run out of American companies and a lot of foreign ones. But I support your right to do so. There are many I refuse to buy from that have offended me worse (Zumbo comes to mind), but may be issues that don't bother you. A man's gotta do.... Moderators, if this (my) comment is abrasive please remove.

waksupi
12-26-2012, 09:38 PM
They have given me excellent warranty service, too. They are the kind of businesses we need.

bootsnthejeep
12-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Yeah, I've been a devoted Leatherman guy since I was 16. I've got half a dozen Waves now, and I send them back in shifts for warranty. I wait until I've got two or three that need repair or freshening, or ones from friends who don't want the "hassle" of sending back their busted Leatherman. "No, they won't replace it for free, and I'd have to go to the post office or UPS, blah blah blah..." Give me the damn thing, I'll give you a new one in two weeks.

And I've sent them back BLATANTLY abused and broken, with explanations of how I broke it and it was my fault and I KNEW it, and they always replaced it, sent back NEW tools, WITH sheaths, and some swag besides.

Love Leatherman. Right up there with Dillon, in my experience.

gew98
12-27-2012, 10:03 AM
I've been sold on the gerber multitool pliers for over a decade. I gave away my leatherman...it was simply to me a bad design. I never liked how the handles folded out and when a wee bit loose from use they were a pain to open properly with one hand.
The anodized black gerber.... well it's the cats pajamas in my opinion. It never folds back on my hands and it's blade holds an edge quite nice. And warranty service with them is top shelf !. I sent them a worn out tool and one I dropped 7 stories down and elevator shaft..... they sent me back two brand new pliers w/belt holsters even though I asked to pay for repairs/replacements in my letter included with them.

DLCTEX
12-27-2012, 11:03 AM
Hard to open one handed when worn? I flip them open one handed in a half second when it gets broken in. I don't understand this.

fatelk
12-27-2012, 01:53 PM
I have my Leatherman Wave with me all the time too. Last year I had my decade old, worn out and busted Wave replaced. I didn't have to pay shipping either way, and didn't have to live without my Leatherman for more than about 45 seconds.:) Of course I was in Portland on business literally less than a quarter mile from the Leatherman factory.

I showed it to them and told them it had been used hard for many years and even abused a bit, and didn't really expect warranty but did want to buy a new one. She just smiled and gave me a brand new one under warranty, the newer model because they no longer made the old one I had.

That is disappointing to read about Tim Leatherman, but I guess it doesn't surprise me. They are in Portland after all.

EMC45
12-27-2012, 05:12 PM
I just sent a Leatherman in and they replaced it for free too. They will take care of you. Gerber did the same thing for me too with the Multiplier.

Down South
12-27-2012, 06:29 PM
I have several Leathermans. I have to agree that are very good. When I worked in the field, one was always on my side. Since I don't work in the field anymore, a plain pocket knife serves me better. Plus even when I did field work, my regular pocket knife went back in my pocket when I was home. I've worn out several of the old yellow handled Case Trappers with the two blades. I've cleaned many fish and wild game with one. I cleaned a spike buck three days ago with my Trapper.

lylejb
12-27-2012, 08:06 PM
much like fatelk, my leatherman warrenty took seconds. I went into the leatherman store, about a mile from the factory. The only question I was asked was if I wanted it repaired, or exchanged.

1Shirt
12-28-2012, 02:30 PM
A full size one goes with me on my belt daily, and a small on goes on my keychain and my wifes keychain. They are invaluable to us. Better than a Swiss knife!

1Shirt!

RoyEllis
01-07-2013, 08:58 PM
The only thing that'd make a Leatherman tool any better, is if they'd let ya order one with the blades/attachments that you wanted on it. Some of the models have 1 or 2 things I wish I could get on one of my Wave's.