PDA

View Full Version : I need to add another rifle to my collection, a 22 rim fire.

Down South
12-24-2012, 10:21 PM
My wife was sitting on the couch next to me last week. We were watching the news. Of course all of the news surrounded the school shooting and needing more gun laws. So she asks me, do you have all the casting and reloading stuff you need then mentioned specific items such as powders, primers, moulds, etc? So I say, can't think of anything I need. So, she asks, do we have all the guns we need?
I said well, none that I can think of, we have the bases covered but I'm planning on picking up a couple more lever guns just to play with.
So, she says, well if you need anything else, you ought to go ahead and get it. "Gosh, I sure do love my wife". Anyway, I got to thinking. I need a new 22 rim fire. My old Rem is shot, no pun intended.

My question, what's a good off the shelf 22 these days. My first thoughts go to a Ruger 10/22. Since I haven't fooled with the 22's much in a number of years I'd like to get a few ideas from you guys. I'll probably scope it so that needs to be in consideration. I really like semi autos but I can go with a bolt or lever.

Thanks, Sam

Aces an Eights
12-24-2012, 10:58 PM
The .22 of choice for me would be the 22/77. Cool thing is you can use those hi-cap 10/22 mags. CZ has some nice offerings too.

badboyparamedic
12-24-2012, 11:00 PM
I prefer the 10/22 but everyone has their own opinions

plmitch
12-24-2012, 11:03 PM
For the money a Marlin 795 works great.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Iffin yur into bolt actions...CZ is my suggestion.
I have a CZ-452 and love it.
CZ has upgraded it to CZ-453
which basically has the "set" trigger that has been standard on their centerfires.
Jon

Jailer
12-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Totally agree with JonB_in_Glencoe. My next gun is going to be a Cz 455 American in 22WMR.

Ifin you're just looking for a reliable accurate plinker then you can't go wrong with a 10/22.

wch
12-24-2012, 11:34 PM
I can suggest one NOT to get- I bought a Browning T-Bolt and it has the lousiest trigger I've ever tried to use.

JLDickmon
12-24-2012, 11:42 PM
I can suggest one NOT to get- I bought a Browning T-Bolt and it has the lousiest trigger I've ever tried to use.
I had a Buckmark Silhouette that the trigger broke (drug) rough and gravelly at 8 1/2 lbs.

If you're gonna get a 10-22, buy a used standard model off Gunbroker, get a match trigger & barrel and a Fajen stock..

jcwit
12-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Can't really tell you, but last summer I purchased a Henry Lever Action, then late summer I got a Ruger Single Six, mid fall I picked up a Schultz & Larsen single shot.

Get what you wish, best way to do it.

hedgehorn
12-24-2012, 11:55 PM
I have a couple of the cz 452 rifles and they are a very nice and accurate rifle

alrighty
12-25-2012, 12:04 AM
My favorite .22 is my 77/22 but the 10/22 is a close second.I just prefer hunting with the bolt.I did buy a CZ 452FS in .17 as a gift for my father.I also put a scope on it for him , that CZ will shoot.I need to pick one up for myself , nice rifles.

Down South
12-25-2012, 12:07 AM
I have a CZ American in a 17 HMR. It's the most accurate rim fire I have ever shot. It took my shotgun's place for squirrel hunting about 8 yrs ago. Another CZ might go well. I know this is a dumb question but I have found most semi auto rifles less than desirable in the accuracy department when scoped, but is there a good semi auto loader out there?
If I go with another bolt gun, CZ has a good chance of getting my money.

**oneshot**
12-25-2012, 12:17 AM
I have and love my CZ452lux. It shoots just about any ammo great and some brands like CCI SV or subsonics into amazing groups.

Artful
12-25-2012, 12:40 AM
You have to define what you want it for - My 4 favorites
Semi-Auto Ruger 10/22
- ton of after market options - high capacity mag's available - can be very accurate with a little work but some are out of the box - prefer older models with metal trigger housing

Bolt - Romanian 1969 Trainer
- man sized gun - good iron sights - gooved for airgun rings - nice trigger - hard to find magazines for and only 5 rounders.

Lever - Marin 39A rifle
- high capacity works with subsonic shorts and is like having a suppressed gun without the hassle's, accurate, mine came with only thing needed was a sling install - course my eye's have worsened over the years.

Single Shot - Thompson/Center Contender
- you can set up in so many ways with this gun, mine has a target trigger job and I could reliably hit the chicken targets at 200 from creedmore position
- but fair warning it is addictive - I don't know how many pistol and rifles barrels are even available at this point. And you can do the larger framed Encore if you want more.

bbs70
12-25-2012, 12:43 AM
I have a 10/22 and I like it.
I also have a Western Auto (Marlin model 60) I bought about 48 years ago when I was a kid.
I still go back to the Marlin and so does my 13 year old grandson.
Still accurate after all these years.
He likes it so much I got him one for Christmas.

Jim
12-25-2012, 12:44 AM
The five I have are mission specific platforms for servin' warrants on Rocky!

starmac
12-25-2012, 12:46 AM
I suggest checking out rimfire central, and crossing off the ones with there own forum suggesting what to buy to make them usuable. lol

You mentioned wanting to pickup some levers to play with. I will never part with my marlin , but from all accounts I have heard there is nothing wrong with the henry at all.

fatboy
12-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Henry Lever action, or ruger 10/22 of all i have owned these are my favorites.

WILCO
12-25-2012, 01:07 AM
Ruger 10/22 for out of the box accurracy. Plus, it'll most likely be banned soon. Best bolt action 22 I've worked with is the Armscor M14P. Shot sporter rifle with it and it always allowed me to shoot hot for the first few matches. After that, well, it was all on me...............

http://www.armscor.com.ph/img/edited/riflem14p.jpg

http://www.armscor.com.ph/boltrifle.htm

Blacksmith
12-25-2012, 01:15 AM
It depends on what you want to do with it. Just fun plinking a 10/22 is very popular, for general shooting CZ makes some fine choices, for top of the line target rifles it would be an Anschütz but the best value I know at the moment is for a good starter target rifle made 30 years ago by Kimber and available as New In Box Surplus from the CMP. Here is the link:
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/22targetsurplus.htm

Scroll down to the Kimber Model 82 the only one still available is the so called "Rusty Kimber" and the description sounds terrible but if you Google Rusty Kimber you will find most reports very positive, I bought two for my grandsons and both were great a little rust on one bolt that cleaned up with a brass brush and Kroil and left no trace. An excellent price for a competitive quality target .22 shipped to your door if you qualify. These guns bring much more on the used market than the CMP is selling them for.

These rifles were produced to military specs that included paragraph 3.3.5.3 which reads in part "Accuracy. The average extreme spread, measured from center to center of shot holes, of three consecutive 10-shot groups fired at a range of 100 yards shall not exceed 1.50 inches and no individual group shall exceed 1.75 inches......" which is better than most people can shoot. If you would like to read the history of these rifles here is a link to a good write up:
http://gnewyear.com/files/M82story.pdf

nhrifle
12-25-2012, 01:15 AM
You can't go wrong with a 10/22 but those are getting to be as hard as ARs to find where I am. Things are out of control. The Marlin semi auto (Model 60?) is a good one, but my vote after the Ruger is for a Savage, be it LR or WMR. Savage rifles flat out shoot and are plenty reliable.

Doc65
12-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Think you mean a 77/22???

Doc65
12-25-2012, 01:26 AM
I had a Buckmark Silhouette that the trigger broke (drug) rough and gravelly at 8 1/2 lbs.

If you're gonna get a 10-22, buy a used standard model off Gunbroker, get a match trigger & barrel and a Fajen stock..
Or one of the newer takedown versions. I picked up two(caught up in the moment & the paperwork was the same) at the Cabelas black friday sale. Later decided that I only needed one, so sold the other to a friend, but they are way cool, takedown into their own little padded backpack :)

Doc65
12-25-2012, 01:28 AM
One other thought; We all know that Joe is going to term the little 10/22(at the very least one of the best if not the best little plinkers ever designed for the price point) an assault rifle cuz it "could" take an extended magazine, right?!?

ElDorado
12-25-2012, 02:45 AM
...but they are way cool

I’ve heard more than one person describe it like that.

I gotta agree with Doc65. I’ve had a Ruger 10/22 for over 30 years and love it. About the same time that I decided I wanted a new one, they came out with the take-down model. I bought one as soon as they came to town and it’s great. It’s fairly accurate, has some nice features, and it comes with a case. I have no regrets about that purchase.

If you’re inclined to go with a 10/22, I recommend the take-down.

Down South
12-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks for all of the replies and links. The farther I go, the deeper I get. I guess that's just natural. Now I'm thinking two 22's would be better. I really like the idea of the Ruger 10/22 take down. That would make a great plinker. Then, a good bolt gun for a great shooter. I'd have the best of both worlds.
So, I'll put the 10/22 on the list and look at rifles you guys have provided in the links.

jmort
12-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Marlin 795 for about $120.00. I like the traditional magazines and the price is right.

HeavyMetal
12-25-2012, 02:20 PM
The nice thing about 22's is you can't have go many!

I'll suggest you think hard about what you want it to do and, more importantly, what do you already have?

For me I have the bolt guns and the 10-22's so for a fun gun I bought one of theGSG 22, the clon

Little thing has never failed to shoot everything and jas mever failef to feed or fire

fatelk
12-25-2012, 04:25 PM
So many good choices! I like my 10/22, but the Marlin 60 is often underrated and is a good old rifle. A friend gave me one a couple years ago (actually he gave it to my son, but since he was a newborn at the time I thought it best to keep it in my safe for him for a while). My friend said he never liked it because it wasn't as sexy as his 10/22. I'm sure my son will like it just fine when he's old enough.

My favorite for plinking is my old Remington model 12. I paid $25 for it, rusty and broken. Cleaned up and repaired, it still won't win any accuracy contests but it's a great shooter for hitting tin cans and empty shotgun shells.

Aces an Eights
12-25-2012, 08:24 PM
77/22 sorry, wouldn't want that to get that confused with the 22/45.:oops:

Pitchnit
12-25-2012, 10:38 PM
The best thing about a 22 is the wide variety of choices of configurations. They are all fun. My Cz452 varmint with a 20X will hit 45 ACP cases on end all day long at 50. The 39A with a peep sight is just plain good fun. There are some other good choices here also. I want a CZ full stock "just because".

Silver Eagle
12-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Big plus one for the CZ family! I have a CZ455 in 22lr. Cloverleafs all 5 at 25 yards. Also has the option with a barrel and magazine change to chamber .17 and 22WMR.

casterofboolits
12-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Ruger 10/22, Marlin 39A, Win Mod 59 Target. Covers all bets for me.

Down South
12-26-2012, 02:44 PM
I called my buddy who owns a gun shop this morning. After a bit of chit chat I asked if the Ruger 10/22's were part of the big gun buy going right now. He told me yup, sure are. So I ask, what is the chance of getting a Ruger 10/22 Takedown? He said they have been hard to get since they came out but he would put my name on his list. So the wait begins.
I know I can find one on Gun Broker but I'd rather not pay an arm and leg for it.

firefly1957
12-26-2012, 03:33 PM
New is good but 22's never really wear out if taken care of do not forget the used market either. I have several old 22 rim fires that shoot great including a Winchester model 77 and three Mossburg's 2 bolts and a Semi all made in the 1940's and all tack drivers. Did you limit to rifles? maybe a handgun to go with it would be a great gun for training and practice.

starmac
12-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Wallmart here had at least one 10/22 takedown last week, it may have sold for christmas though. They also had a bushmaster ar for a hair over 900, and I am seeing them in the classifieds here starting at 1350.00, go figure.
So you might check your local wallmart.

rush1886
12-26-2012, 04:07 PM
If your mind is made up, it's made up! But don't forget the Marlin 39A was made in a takedown version. sure wish i still had that one in my stable!

And, I have to speak up for the Henry Levers. Highest measure of off-the-shelf quality I've seen lately. At least in price bracket. Very solid, sturdy, yet action is as smooth a silk!

Shepherd2
12-26-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm going to recommend a CZ rifle also. I got a 455FS in .22lr last month and it is all I hoped it would be. It wasn't cheap but it's still a lot of rifle for the money. Quality all the way.

Wayne Smith
12-26-2012, 07:27 PM

That's strange, mine is very nice. It is .22 Mag, though.

Down South
12-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Wallmart here had at least one 10/22 takedown last week, it may have sold for christmas though. They also had a bushmaster ar for a hair over 900, and I am seeing them in the classifieds here starting at 1350.00, go figure.
So you might check your local wallmart.
Wally World here don't carry guns but I check at others when I have a chance.

starmac
12-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Ah I forget that they don't carry guns in some places. I would have thought they would in lowsiana though. Here is the only place I know of that they carry handguns anymore.

Southpaw 72
12-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Don't forget the Savage mkII.