PDA

View Full Version : Now this is getting ridiculous

41 mag fan
12-24-2012, 03:12 PM
It's starting to get a little ridiculous around here. I got a neighbor who likes to shoot. We got this game going.....he shoot 5 or 6 rounds off. Code word...Are you home??
I shoot 3 rounds off...code word..sure am!!

He replies..5 rounds shot off.....code word...what are you doing??

I reply....6 rounds ...code word...Not a whole lot?
then after a few min delay 1 round.....code word...you?

He shoots off 7 round...code word....hiding from the wife.

I reply...2 rounds...code word....me to!!

Well just a few minutes ago, I heard 10 rounds go off, followed by another 3 roiunds, then another 5 rounds....
I have no clue what that means,,,,,

So now i got to get my shoes on, throw a coat on and limp sorta up the hill over the fence row and see what the H**l that was all about....

Sheesh this is getting ridiculous

probably celebrating the viagara worked he was starting to take......!!!!

nhrifle
12-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Modern day smoke signals.....Love it!!!!!!!

KCSO
12-24-2012, 03:37 PM
At today's ammo prices you guys just bought a cell phone!

41 mag fan
12-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Never thought of it like that!!!
My neighbor, Max is 73-74 yrs old.....was a wildman in his younger days, bar fighter ect ect. You'd never think meeting him now, he was such a person back even into his mid 50's.

41 mag fan
12-24-2012, 03:39 PM
At today's ammo prices you guys just bought a cell phone!

He casts and reloads like I do. Has a berm he digs and redigs from...
I did notice I got a person hemming in on my codes...guy started shooting about 3/4 mi away to the south of me...so now I gotta go meet him and get some arranging on codes going with him to.

starmac
12-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Sounds like you guys have devised a way to replace the old party lines. lol

Smitty's Retired
12-24-2012, 07:40 PM
He casts and reloads like I do. Has a berm he digs and redigs from...
I did notice I got a person hemming in on my codes...guy started shooting about 3/4 mi away to the south of me...so now I gotta go meet him and get some arranging on codes going with him to.

Yep, you need to find out. His could have been code for, "Will you guys quit talking for a second, I'm trying to tell you something!!"

nhrifle
12-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Or it could have been the old "Mine's bigger than yours"

starmac
12-24-2012, 10:16 PM
At that age, it may be more like (tone it down guys, I'm trying to take a nap). lol

canyon-ghost
12-26-2012, 01:44 AM
Sometimes when I'm alone on the pistol range, someone opens up with a rifle atop the hill 100 meters away (toward the stop sign). It means the neighbors want to go out south. I stop shooting and let them drive safely down the road past me. We don't need to agree on words, it's always, "let me by" and then silence! Lol.

Rangefinder
12-26-2012, 03:41 AM
It is amazing how much peaceful, friendly interaction occurs with firearms running through everyday life when politics aren't involved, huh? LOL Actually it doesn't amaze me at all--but the very idea would scare the begeezus out of plenty of the morons that seem to be sudden experts over the past weeks. That is at least good for a chuckle...

youngda9
12-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Wish I had neighbors like that...I'm in a neighborhood around a bunch of pseudo yuppies. I get looks carting guns in and out of my car all the time for my range or hunting trips. No comments or anything though. City slickers.

TCLouis
12-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Saturday and Sunday around my house echo with the sound of freedom.

Little bit of everything.

One neighbor either had or hosted several different full machine guns.

One afternoon I would guess it was a full reenactment of a battle complete with booms.

I would love to have the money they burned some afternoon.

Gotta love living in a free state!

montana_charlie
12-26-2012, 11:42 PM
Well just a few minutes ago, I heard 10 rounds go off, followed by another 3 roiunds, then another 5 rounds....
I have no clue what that means,,,,,
Probably means all that shooting gave away his location, and he got attacked by a mob of zombies.
If they haven't arrived at your place yet, and you haven't seen him, it means he lost ... and they are busy eating him.

All I can tell you now is 'reload'.

CM

Got-R-Did
12-26-2012, 11:53 PM
We have our share of "Ci-diots" here in my somewhat rural community. New neighbors called the Sheriff on opening day of Modern Gun Season here when they heard shots on the Farm adjacent to our little group of houses. They rent and are considering moving because of the "danger". Good Riddance.
On another more positive note, I wonder how they would react to some "Gunshot Morse Code" near here.
Got-R-Did.

nhrifle
12-27-2012, 01:35 AM
I've run into a few of those types over the years. Your new neighbors were probably the ones who called the Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks when I was out there, requesting they ask the coyotes to be quiet so they could sleep.

migtek02
12-27-2012, 02:59 AM
You guys all live in a great place the HOA in my neighborhood is full of people from Illinois and California god I wish theyd all move back! Funny thing though they stopped complaining about my kids shooting pellet air guns in the back yard about the time me and my buddies were loading our ARs into the truck to go shoot.

x101airborne
12-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Wish I had neighbors like that...I'm in a neighborhood around a bunch of pseudo yuppies. I get looks carting guns in and out of my car all the time for my range or hunting trips. No comments or anything though. City slickers.

Just have your cases in you hand, squint narrowly, give a one sided grin and wave awkwardly only moving your wrist as they go by. That will be the last dang time they do that.

When I want to go to town and not be messed with, I wear my old military uniform from Strike Force Dragon in 2000. It is old, and raggedy, and still has all my patches on it. It is comfy and comforting to me and when people look at me they think "Oh, **** he is gonna shoot somebody." Of course I am not and usually not even packing. But it is great non-verbal communication.

41 mag fan
12-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Theres alot of gun bangers around my county. We have a public shooting range maybe 25 mi from my house, about 20 yrs ago, you could go to it and it'd be virtually empty except the 2 weeks before deer season.
Now yr round, ice, snow, bitter cold, you're lucky if you can get on it except for the 200 yrd lane. About the only time it's dead, is in the rain.
Which is funny...lots of people who shoot, but you never see any or not to many that reload. Our local gun shop carries reloading supplies, and you don't see to many buying any

yeahbub
12-27-2012, 11:16 AM
I once had an epiphany about the differences in culture between folks in rural parts and those from (ahem!) "civilized" areas. It was my habit to go on long backpacking hikes through the surrounding contryside leaving nothing but tracks. The local landowners had no problem with it as long as no damage was done. My access to my desired entry point had been sold and was now a muddy mess of a subdivision in progress with one or two houses finished and occupied, so I parked and crossed through a construction area and hiked the day away. When I got home, I found that the county deputees had called all my relatives wanting to talk to me, leaving a number to call. I did and found out that the people in one of the completed houses on this thirty lot plot had seen me walking through - and their immediate response was to CALL THE COPS!! It took me a few moments of confusion trying to figure out how seeing someone walk through the debris field of a construction site led to calling in the gendarmes. Out there, if you see someone on your place or the neighbor's who you don't recognize, you yell Howdy!, make your aquaintances and have a conversation. These people hid in their house until I was out of sight and probably then some. The Sherriff's deputy I spoke to seemed underwhelmed by the whole thing and I got the impression that having to deal with the habitually panic-stricken is an every day thing. There seems to be a growing number of people who have no problem calling down the coercive power of the state to assume all the risks and responsibilities of daily living.

I remember wondering what their response would be when the ex-FBI guy living some 400 yards away cut loose with one of his full-autos when summer rolled around. That may be another day in the basement. I really do hope they take notes and get friendlier.

TCFAN
12-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Saturday and Sunday around my house echo with the sound of freedom.

Little bit of everything.

One afternoon I would guess it was a full reenactment of a battle complete with booms.

I would love to have the money they burned some afternoon.

Gotta love living in a free state!

TCLouis
You live any where around HICKOK45 that is on you tube. Seems like I have been told that he lives in Tenn.

oldred
12-27-2012, 12:44 PM

I live in upper East Tn and for the last few weeks I have been hearing some full auto fire going on just over the "ridge" where I live, going to have to follow the sounds of the music and check this out!! :Fire:

Got-R-Did
12-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Que the music and song from "The Sound of Music". I can hear Julie Andrews in my head.
Got-R-Did.

nhrifle
12-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Maybe it was FPSRussia!

mjwcaster
12-27-2012, 03:22 PM
I grew up in the South suburbs of Chicago.
When I was about 25 I moved to the woods in S. IL, Carbondale.
I rented a house on 115 acres. Woods 30' from my back door, about 13 other houses a 4 and a 6 flat apartment.
That was it.
Mostly wooded and steep hills with 2 ponds on the property.
I was told to treat the land like I owned it, hunting and shooting were ok.
The first few times I shot in the back yard I would take a few shots and then wait for the cops to show up.
Got over that pretty quick.
I worked out of town a lot and would be gone for weeks or months at a time. Drive in at night and then wake up in the morning, get a cup of coffee and head out back to shoot some.
Start shooting and then the neighbors and land lord would come on over to jaw a little, they always knew when I got home.
You knew your neighbor were home by the sound of the car, never even had to look out the window. If you heard something that you didn't recognize you went to check it out. Maybe took a 12 guage with. And then either find someone who didn't belong and point them to the road or maybe it was a neighbors friend, stopping by a little early, so you'd offer a drink and talk for a spell.
It was just far enough South that there was lot's of talking done, you couldn't just say Hi and keep going.

Just the way life should be.
I miss that place.

Matt

41 mag fan
12-27-2012, 06:03 PM
I grew up in the South suburbs of Chicago.
When I was about 25 I moved to the woods in S. IL, Carbondale.
I rented a house on 115 acres. Woods 30' from my back door, about 13 other houses a 4 and a 6 flat apartment.
That was it.
Mostly wooded and steep hills with 2 ponds on the property.
I was told to treat the land like I owned it, hunting and shooting were ok.
The first few times I shot in the back yard I would take a few shots and then wait for the cops to show up.
Got over that pretty quick.
I worked out of town a lot and would be gone for weeks or months at a time. Drive in at night and then wake up in the morning, get a cup of coffee and head out back to shoot some.
Start shooting and then the neighbors and land lord would come on over to jaw a little, they always knew when I got home.
You knew your neighbor were home by the sound of the car, never even had to look out the window. If you heard something that you didn't recognize you went to check it out. Maybe took a 12 guage with. And then either find someone who didn't belong and point them to the road or maybe it was a neighbors friend, stopping by a little early, so you'd offer a drink and talk for a spell.
It was just far enough South that there was lot's of talking done, you couldn't just say Hi and keep going.

Just the way life should be.
I miss that place.

Matt

Why'd ya move Matt? Thats the state of South Illinois. Totally different than the state North illinois. I think about Springfield is where the state lines ought to be drawn
Carbondales only 35-40 min from me. Still don't like that area, because its in Il but its better than N Il by a long shot.