PDA

View Full Version : all I got was sparks

nekshot
12-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Well, the weather is decent and I decided to use the flintlock this past evening. I had a deer broadside standing still at 65 yards and all I got was a display of sparks, not once but twice. I salute you fellas that do all your hunting with flintlocks! I remember many years ago with my wife the gun would not go off for her and I changed powder then the flint and the deer still stood broadside watching us from about 50 yards. I finally told her to hold real steady and I stuck a burning match into the frizzen pan. It went off but the deer was ok and headed out. The joys of a flintlock from my expierences!

nhrifle
12-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Amazing the founders came here and were able to survive and hunt with those things at all. Make sure the touch hole is absolutely clear before priming the pan.

johnson1942
12-24-2012, 02:19 PM
that would make a really good viteo, i love your honesty and your sense of humor.

Hanshi
12-24-2012, 03:58 PM
I had that happen recently but it was because the prime had leaked out; so I didn't even get a flash. The touch hole should be 1/16" and picked clear. If you don't get sparks or flash then the flint or lock are suspect. I've always found flintlocks to be as reliable (when primed, doggone it) as a caplock.

**oneshot**
12-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Are you using pyrodex?? I had that problem with mine with pyrodex, switched to black powder and the problem went away. The only time mine didn't go off was 100% my fault not the unloaded gun.

oldracer
12-24-2012, 05:32 PM
I only have percussion muzzle loaders but had something similar a few months ago. I loaded up my normal load and it was probably #4 or #5 of the day. The cap went pop and a little smoke. I waited a bit and as I was sitting the Lehigh 50 cal on the x-sticks it decided to go off! Whoa I was happy it was pointed down range and I had hold of the gun with two hands!

waksupi
12-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Clean your breech face.

nhrifle
12-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Unintended discharges happen all the time, I've had a few with cartridge rifles. Last month I was at the local shooting pit and was shooting my 300 AAC. A father and his young son were there banging away .22s. The father and I were talking. I popped in a fresh mag and dropped the bolt. BANG! Thank God I had it pointed downrange and no one was hurt. I started to get apologetic with the father but he waved me off. He turned to his son and said, "See? That's why you keep the gun pointed in a safe direction all the time. He followed the rules." He used the situation to teach his son a lesson on gun safety, but I still felt bad it had happened.

wild thing
12-24-2012, 08:08 PM
When you load make sure the pan is clean and dry. Then .on 1/2 cock wipe the crud off the edge of the flint. You really do not need much powder for primeing . I use about 4 gr of 4 f Snap the frizzen down and fire. If the weather is damp clean your pan and fresh primer every 15-20 min. john

nekshot
12-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Over the years I picked up a lot of pointers from seasoned flinters and I have good ignition now which equates to target shooting. I was a little surprised it did not go off and in hind sight I believe(I hope) the answer lies in this. The gun is right handed and I shoot left handed most of the time. I wonder if I breathed on the frizzen while I was waiting to pull the trigger. This only prods me more to build or get a left hand lock\gun. We always are looking for the need for more projects, right?

Boerrancher
12-25-2012, 11:13 AM
IF you get sparks and no flash in the pan there are a couple of things to check. The first is the priming charge. Pyrodex has a higher ignition temp so much of the time it will not ignite. Also, when the cock is all the way down and the frizzen is open exposing the pan, the flint should be pointed at the center of the pan. If it is pointed higher or lower, it will throw the sparks away from the pan. There can be a huge shower of sparks but if they miss the pan it doesn't matter. Finally, check to make sure when you carry your rifle that the prime is not leaking out of the pan. My Hawken will leak if I don't charge it properly. I have to put a large pile of powder on the far side of the pan and compress it with the frizen to hold it in place. There is a small gap between the frizzen and the edge of the barrel and especially when it is cradled in the gun rack on the 4 wheeler the vibration will shake the prime out of the pan.

Best wishes,

Joe

fouronesix
12-25-2012, 02:18 PM
When you load make sure the pan is clean and dry. Then .on 1/2 cock wipe the crud off the edge of the flint. You really do not need much powder for primeing . I use about 4 gr of 4 f Snap the frizzen down and fire. If the weather is damp clean your pan and fresh primer every 15-20 min. john

To the OP- thanks for posting!
Yep, exposed 4f as it may have little or no coating is extremely hygroscopic. So out hunting in any kind of humidity my guess would be damp prime=no poof.

starmac
12-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Neckshot I shoot lefty too, and that has kept me from even trying a flinter, as you just don't see many left handed ones. I just never figured I would be very accurate with a right handed one.