PDA

View Full Version : Question on weight Variations

Kansas Ed
12-24-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm still trying to figure out this 50-100-450, and was wondering what limits you folks place on weight variations of your cast and lubed bullets for hunting rifles. Most of my bullets weigh in at 449-450 gr. But about a third fall into the 448+ weight, and a couple drop into the 447 gr category. Considering that the 3gr swing over a 450gr denominator is a pretty low percentage (less than 1% weight variation) I would think that it would be pretty irrelevant in the scheme of 150 yard hunting, but perhaps I'm looking at it wrong. Or perhaps I should be weighing and sorting prior to lube. Any thoughts on this?

BTW, I tried to find a thread which would explain everyones views, but didn't have much luck.

Thanks in advance.

Ed

Ragnarok
12-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Oh..I can say as bullets for plinking use I'm less picky about flaws/potential flaws in my product.

However I do tend to cherry-pick perfect-looking bullets for special projects. These will get weighed and measured..possibly culled to the shooter pile.

For hunting use..yes..I would use the very best bullets...you can always make more bullets.

454PB
12-24-2012, 02:49 PM
I had the same question many years ago, so I did some testing. After many hours of tedious weighing and segregation, I found that the boolits that passed a careful visual inspection shot as well as those weighed. Of course I wasn't shooing benchrest guns, so your mileage may vary......

williamwaco
12-25-2012, 01:11 PM
I had the same question many years ago, so I did some testing. After many hours of tedious weighing and segregation, I found that the boolits that passed a careful visual inspection shot as well as those weighed. Of course I wasn't shooing benchrest guns, so your mileage may vary......

DITTO.

My bullets are not that heavy but I find no difference between weighing and not weighing 150 to 170 grain .30 caliber bullets.

I get about a three grain spread. I used to sort them in to one grain variations eg 149s, 150s, and 151s.

It made no difference at all.

What does make a difference is perfect fill-out and perfect bases.

1Shirt
12-30-2012, 12:00 PM
I agree on visual only on heavy blts, from say 170 or so up. Below that it is a toss up on what I will be using them for. For example, I am usually satisfied with visual on 6.5 and 7mm blts, but below that level, with emphasis on accuracy in 22's I inspect closely, and weigh specificly. Being old, retired, and persnickity allows me to be this way.
1Shirt!