PDA

View Full Version : anyone use jojoba oil in there lubes

Lloyd Smale
06-30-2007, 06:42 AM
Ive heard good and bad and have a batch made up with some in it and its going to be a while before i can test it and was wondering if anyone had an opinion. Ive heard everything from its a miricle lube to it flat doesnt work at all.

sundog
06-30-2007, 08:20 AM
Lloyd, the big batch of Felix lube that Felix and I did a couple/three years ago has jojoba in it. As far as I concerned it's purdy good stuff!

felix
06-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Not only that, Lloyd, we put in maybe 1 percent of a 180F degree microwax as well, because too many desert folks said they wanted high temp stuff. You can purchase these small-grained paraffins, microwaxes, on the internet. Buy from a place that offers various temp grades. That shows they know what their products are. ... felix

ron brooks
06-30-2007, 08:54 AM
For what it is worth there was a lot being said in Arizona in the early '70s about using jojoba oil as a replacement for whale oil.

45nut
06-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Got any of that batch left Corky?

357maximum
06-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Ive heard good and bad and have a batch made up with some in it and its going to be a while before i can test it and was wondering if anyone had an opinion. Ive heard everything from its a miricle lube to it flat doesnt work at all.

I won't make a high end lube that is going to see abuse without it. Just be careful as to how much you use, it is really good lubricant, and it can be overdone.

sundog
06-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Nut, yes, 2 pans, I think. I'm not in a sharing mood today, either. Damn, that was an ugly thing to say, wasn't it?

I suppose another big batch would be real nice, but it's really a lot of work. I'm not up to it right now for a number of reasons, mostly time, and I'm pretty sure Felix isn't, other than being the tech rep.

I think the consistency of a big batch is better than small batches. That's not to say that small batches are no good. They are. I've used plenty that way and can't really tell the difference. My small batches, however, never had microwax and jojoba, either.

I've worked on the 'leakage, spillage and over pour' after the run. That all had to been recleaned and was a job in itself, but worth recovering. That was my cut for doing half the work.

I have one lubrisizer on a heater that is loaded with Orange Magic. The other, 4 or 5, are loaded only with Felix lube. btw, I don't use very much OM.

45nut
06-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Just funnin' with ya,, I thought I would be the last soul with a pan left myself. :p
I have been rather stingy with it, saving it for match loads.

sundog
06-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Nut, I think these two 'loaves' were destined for Lew Goldstein. Unfortunately he 'left the range' about that time. They've been in an ammo can out in the barn since they were borned ('borned', ya like that? It's Oklahomese for 'came to life'). Actually some of the folks actually call it 'borndid'. That's okay, just local dialect from folks who are otherwise quite intelligent. Just a little ignorant of the Queen's English. Glad to be living here.

Speaking of that, Beeman has apparently not been on the board of late. Methinks he is in process of moving to Green Country. Anyone heard from him?

John Boy
06-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Lloyd ... what 'bad' have you heard about jojoba oil in the lube?
I'm a BP shooter and have been using it for over 5 years exclusively mixed with soy wax. IMHO ... great lube

piwo
06-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Lloyd ... what 'bad' have you heard about jojoba oil in the lube?
I'm a BP shooter and have been using it for over 5 years exclusively mixed with soy wax. IMHO ... great lube
John Boy,
Using for BP centerfire, or muzzleloader patch or conical lube?

felix
06-30-2007, 04:49 PM
JB, if what you made up shoots correctly, don't worry about it. Smokeless loads can have their boolits too slick allowing the fast twist (not seen in BP) to not take hold with confidence and cause a stripped out boolit as a result. ... felix

45nut
06-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Lew was a good man. I still have the envelope in which he sent me the instructions for my Lyman #45 sizer in his honor.
Beeman was here on 6-02, must be moving as you said.

Hijack over........

Lloyd Smale
06-30-2007, 06:26 PM
what this lube was was about 6 oz of it mixed in a 3lb coffee can the remainder was about 1/4 magma blue and beeswax. Then i started sizing with some 5050 alox in the heat an it was way to soft and messy. So what i did was melt them both and put about a 1/3 of a can of 5050 with 2/3s of the other lube. I ended up with a pee greed lube that is about the same hardness as lbt blue soft. Hope it works as well as my felix lube hybrid. What i do with that is make felix and then add about 1/4 blue magma to firm it up and then add a little corduba wax and about a half a cup of alox in a coffee can. That lube works fantastic.