PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody in the Texas Hill Country have some spare lube?

dow
06-30-2007, 01:33 AM
Well, I got a good start casting, and the boolits are coming out of the mold looking really good. My best friend, Ronnie gave me an old Lyman 450 lubrisizer that had been given to him. Even cleaned it up pretty good, too. So I figured, "well, I'll take advantage of the White label free sample offer to get started, and then order some more next week. Well, the Carnuba Red lube came in yesterday, and tonight I loaded the luber up to lube and size my boolits. Only problem is that the sample I got was big enough to fill the bottom of the lubrisizer but barely enough to actually lube any boolits. So, I'm left with a batch of boolits and a mostly empty lubrisizer.

Is there anybody in the Boerne or San Antonio area who would have some lube I could buy or borrow? I've checked at sportsman's warehouse, bass pro shops, academy, etc. and they don't have any idea what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance,

Dow

WHITETAIL
06-30-2007, 06:56 AM
dow, If you can't find any I could send you some of my home made lube.

WHITETAIL
06-30-2007, 06:57 AM
You could make up some lube. It is real easy.

Rottweiler
06-30-2007, 07:54 AM
I just bought 10 solid sticks of "Jake's Red Ceresin" We can work out a deal for 5. I'm in the Kerrville area

Contact me off list if interested dzelenske@outdrs.net

357maximum
06-30-2007, 09:11 AM
Dow

If I were you I would get back with Lar and order some more C. RED you will not regret it..great lube more than fair price..it is a no-brainer really.

dow
06-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks, everybody, for the advise and responses. I'm going to meet Rottweiler at lunch and get some from him. Whitetail, I'll most likely take a stab at making my own lube down the road, but since I'm just getting started, I wanted to keep things as simple as possible.

You know, with all of the different lubes out there, and all of the recipes I've seen, I wonder if it really makes much difference what you use as long as it stays where it's supposed to.

WHITETAIL
06-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Why don't you try JPW?

dow
06-30-2007, 11:52 PM
Why don't you try JPW?

Ignorance, I guess. What's JPW?

45nut
07-01-2007, 12:29 AM
JPW= Johnson Paste Wax..a Liquid Alox alternative for lube.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=15661&highlight=Paste+wax

Ignorance can be cured here :)

dow
07-01-2007, 12:49 AM
Thanks! Consider me cured... for now :mrgreen:

OH yeah, the lube I got from Rottweiler worked just fine. Got a mess of them lubed and sized, and loaded four ten shot test groups for the next time I get to go shoot.

Thanks again, everybody.

dow

Rottweiler
07-01-2007, 09:12 AM
Glad it worked:drinks:

redbear705
07-01-2007, 10:17 AM
I just bought 10 solid sticks of "Jake's Red Ceresin" We can work out a deal for 5. I'm in the Kerrville area

Contact me off list if interested dzelenske@outdrs.net

So how good does jake red work? does it compare to red carnuba? have you tried the purple or moly?

thanks for any info....as I am looking for a hard lube that doesnt smear from place to place...

JR

Char-Gar
07-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Buy lube? What kind of people are the letting in on this board these days? :-). Lube is not bought, it is made at home through chemistry and witchcraft. Everybody here has their own favorite recipie for the world greatest lube. Just ask and you will find out.

This board has changed. In the old Shooters.com days you would be laughted off the board, if you bought anything that could be made with glue, wire, pvc pipe, ductape and corn flakes.

bart55
07-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Amen to that , my wife has had numerous ocasions to complain about things being cooked up on the kitchen stove.Frying castor oil ,lard sheep tallow and many other wonderful smells have produced some fine lubes and truth be told some pretty nasty smells. All in the name of doing it myself . Its the American way

Whitespider
07-02-2007, 01:05 AM
.....you would be laughted off the board, if you bought anything that could be made with glue, wire, pvc pipe, ductape and corn flakes.

Who needs ductape, I’ve got an arc welder and a torch. :mrgreen:

Oh yea, I forgot, I carry ductape in my truck. Handiest darn stuff when ya’ ain’t got yer welder with ya’. :redneck: