PDA

View Full Version : Smelting in the cold?

selmerfan
12-23-2012, 10:58 PM
I've got 311 lbs. of raw COWWs to melt down right now - I'll be bringing three more buckets back from the in-laws later this week and don't like that many stacked in the garage. High around 15 or 20 degrees F around here tomorrow, little to no wind. Has anyone smelted in the cold? I've got the weights sorted, brought them in for the night to warm them up before setting over the 185,000 BTU jet burner. The BTUs should overcome the ambient temp, right? And they'll cool quick on the cement! Any other tips to watch out for? They are all dry, but I always start with a cool pot to discourage the tinsel fairy. I've smelted tons, but only at 50 degrees or warmer. Then look for these for sale in the classifieds...

nhrifle
12-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Smelting in the cold is no problem. I've been doing it for awhile. A couple years ago I did it all winter long, and it was very cold out. I used a cheap Coleman burner I got from Wally World that takes the disposable fuel cans, and a steel pot I got for free. Nothing special to it other than dress up and come in out of the cold every so often.

HangFireW8
12-23-2012, 11:55 PM
With 185K burner you should be OK. You may want a windbreak if it is windy.

I've done cold weather (just below freezing) smelting before with a much smaller burner, the lack or presence of wind can make or break that situation.

HF

geargnasher
12-24-2012, 12:06 AM
Keep the ice and condensation out of the hot, molten metal and you'll be fine. Beats sweating over a hot pot in the summer for sure.

Gear

Jailer
12-24-2012, 12:07 AM
My pot would get cool on the sides when smelting in the cold so I put a wind break/heat shield on it. It works great now.

Before

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/L4.jpg

After. Sorry for the bad pic. The Warden "moved" the good camera so I have no idea where it is now and had to take a pic with my phone.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/shroud_zps1ace42b0.jpg

MT Gianni
12-24-2012, 12:09 AM
15 Degrees F is only 60 F below 75. Your burner can over heat things easily so even 15 below is not nearly too cold. It may be uncomfortable and I think you get a different hardness waterdropping when the bullet heat is the only thing keeping ice out.

Smitty's Retired
12-24-2012, 12:13 AM
The heat shield to block the wind idea is a good one. If there is no wind it's not that bad, but I had to do the same thing (making a heat shield) on a windy day when it was only about 35 degrees out, because the lead around the sides kept trying to solidify.