PDA

View Full Version : Went looking for panic

frkelly74
12-23-2012, 08:09 PM
I went into town and to my favorite supply house to see what signs of panic I could find. So did everyone else I guess, it was crowded. There were no black rifles evident and I did not see any 223 ammo. I did see plenty of primers and quite a supply of powders and some 223 empty brass and quite a few bullets of different calibers to reload with. There was plenty of 22 long rifle ammo and for all the things I did see the prices did not seem any more out of line than normal. There were plenty of 30 round magazines on the counter also and they had been marked up some. Lots of people were looking at handguns and a few were buying. Still the place was crowded and I had to walk around people to get through places but I have seen that before.

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Talked to guy at the range today who owns a small gun shop.
Sold every AR style and semi auto pistol he had in the last week,
out of primers, low on powder. Says the primer suppliers saying
2 months minimum before they can ship more. People appear to be crazy

41 mag fan
12-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Only crazy if nothing comes down the pike, but i'm very doubtful thats going to happen. obamas got his agenda and is making this his priority next year.

lylejb
12-23-2012, 10:42 PM
In the local bi-mart today:

Primers, a few shotgun primers not much else.

Powder: a can or two, then 2 feet of empty shelf, then another can, then more empty shelf.

22's: no bricks of any kind, maybe 20 loose boxes of Rem thunderbolts and 15 loose boxes of American eagle

all prices normal.

more people around the gun counter than I've seen there in a long time.

Boerrancher
12-24-2012, 10:39 AM
My friend and neighbor was telling me Sat, that a buddy of his works at a large sporting goods store in Columbia MO, for the last week they have been getting in 30 to 40 AR's a a day and selling them for $2K as fast as they hit the rack. Gotta love the big 0 for his great salesmanship.

Best wishes,

Joe

Silvercreek Farmer
12-24-2012, 11:04 AM
The Walmarts are pretty cleaned out but the small shop I go to for reloading supplies still had enough for me to stock up on primers. All black rifles are gone, and DPMS AR-15s are listed on armslist for $1200+. I bought some .22 Thunderbolts last week because that was all they had. I haven't bought any since I tried them a while back and found that they were very dirty (gritted up my trigger with only 100 rounds out of my M60) and while they didn't seem to jam any more often than other bulk .22s, the jams required a screwdiver carefully applied to a live round to extract, not my idea of fun! After that experience I read similar experiences online. The most recent boxes, though, say "New and Improved now cleaner more consitant, ect" on the box. It will be interesting to see if anything has actually changed.

felix
12-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Joe, 30 to 40 AR per day is about impossible from US distributors' warehouses (all); a week, maybe. ... felix

dale2242
12-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Rumor has it,the Oregon background check system has been so busy the waits are 4-5hrs.
It normally takes 10 minutes.....dale

possom813
12-25-2012, 02:51 PM
I did the same, day before yesterday.

All of the common powders were sold out at Gander Mtn, at least the 1 pounders were. I picked up a 4lbs jug of Unique for 79(good price for Gander). They still had plenty of lpp's, and srp's. No Lrp's, and the only spp's were magnum. Lucky me, I guess other folks don't shoot .357 or .38. I've used the mag primers in .38 and 9mm in the past with no problems. I guess "magnum" scares off some folks.

Walmart, completely sold out of all .223 and 7.62x39 and all the 550rds boxes that sell for $22 per box. Just because I made the trip back to the sporting goods department, I went ahead and bought 2 for the 225rd boxes for 7.94 per box. Plenty of those in stock. They also had plenty .30-06 and .30-30, but no much else. No pistol ammo, except .44mag and .32auto

Local Gun Shop, that I very rarely shop at since 2008, sold out of everything. He's always been way overpriced, at least 60% over Gander Mtn, and charges $75 for a transfer if you have a gun shipped to him. I went there to see if he had any 4064, he quit selling reloading supplies years ago, or so he said, so now I really have no reason to visit his shop at all.

375RUGER
12-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Lots of 22? I haven't found any. I looked 1 place in Hillsboro, OR last week, little bit of CCI quiet and Remington. None at Sportsmans in ABQ. Only 4 bricks of CCI Quiet in Sports World Tulsa yesterday, picked up a brick of that.
Sportsworld did have lots of primers, no small pistol, but they did have small pistol magnum and small pistol magnum match. No 209s though.

lylejb
12-26-2012, 03:11 AM
Rumor has it,the Oregon background check system has been so busy the waits are 4-5hrs.
It normally takes 10 minutes.....dale

NOT a rumor!!

The gun counter worker @ sportsman's told me there were taking customer's phone numbers, and telling them to go home. They would CALL them when the background check cleared. He was also saying 5 hrs.

About 3 weeks ago, I bought a 10/22 at Bi-mart, it took 5 mins. Of course, that was before all the panic.

WILCO
12-26-2012, 11:43 AM
I posted earlier of how there were soooooooo many folks at my local gun store, the fire alarm went off twice form all of the body heat.

Jal5
12-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Funny how the buying spree is regional. I was in a Gander Mtn in Pennsylvania on 12/23 and they had a lot of powder left, some primers and a fair amount of ammo of all kinds, but the gun counter was really busy with folks. Someone called in and asked the guy if he had any ARs, he told everyone at the counter the question and we all laughed out loud. The AR that I bought the day after the Election is now worth about 2x as much as I paid. Obama is the best salesman.