PDA

View Full Version : I'm ready!!!

armoredman
06-29-2007, 07:58 PM
I think. Ok, got the following - Lee electric 10LB furnace, Lee dipper, Lee 2 cavity 358 158die, lee 358 lube/size kit, 5 lb pure lead, gloves. I don't have ingot molds or stuff like that, but I am not smelting yet.
I know I'll screw them up to begin with, but I'll see what we come up with tomorrow.
Mold - hold it against the furnace, or dip it in the melt, to warm it up?

Duckiller
06-29-2007, 09:00 PM
Set the mold on top of the furnace. As the lead melts the mold will warm up. Have you considered going to Wally World parking lot with a pair of pliers to get wheel weights to fill the pot? If your mold doesn't fill out to your satisfaction Home Depot/Lowes have lead free solder that is 95% tin in 1 lb. rolls that may help. Take your time and enjoy. Remember 130 yrs ago people with an eighth grade education or less did it. Be careful and good luck.

armoredman
06-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Umm, Duck, that sounds a lot like "misappropriation."
I can try the solder idea. And those guys with 8th grade educations had college degrees in what was known as common sense, something sadly lacking today.
And yes, I plan on having fun! :)

NVcurmudgeon
06-30-2007, 01:02 AM
Set the mold on top of the furnace. As the lead melts the mold will warm up. Have you considered going to Wally World parking lot with a pair of pliers to get wheel weights to fill the pot? If your mold doesn't fill out to your satisfaction Home Depot/Lowes have lead free solder that is 95% tin in 1 lb. rolls that may help. Take your time and enjoy. Remember 130 yrs ago people with an eighth grade education or less did it. Be careful and good luck.

Duck, check out what one had to know to graduate from the eighth grade in the late nineteenth century sometime. Few bachelor's degree holders of today could make the cut.

randyrat
06-30-2007, 06:14 AM
Continued list; Anti sieze goop(lube your mold),towel (wifey approved) safety glasses,wooden stick to open sprue plate........Go for it and give us a smelting report when you done. good luck.

WHITETAIL
06-30-2007, 07:11 AM
armordman, good luck and be safe.

USARO4
06-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Armoredman good luck on your start, as you gain experience you will see a need for more little items that make your new hobby easier. You will start raiding your wife's kitchen for handy utensils and soon find yourself shopping in the kitchenwares section of Wallyworld. NVcurmudge, you beat me to the punch about today's education system. Today many holders of advanced degrees or less can do it.

armoredman
06-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Dadgum it. I was all set, and spent all day working on the 6 viruses that infected my computer. All clean now...what a pain.

Lee
06-30-2007, 10:58 PM
There's no better way to spend a cold winters' evening than by casting what you will shoot on a hot summer day........Lee:wink:
P.S. Stay outta my territory:twisted: ....and start asking friends and acquaintances about lead. Tire shops for wheel weights, plumbers for lead scrap, radiator shops for lead, home remodelers for roofing sheeting, etc. The list goes on and on...........Lee:wink:

armoredman
07-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Eek. Lemme know where your "territory" is, and I'll be glad not to "mine" your "claim"!:mrgreen:

Dunmb question -I can use a bit of crayon for flux, right?

38-55
07-01-2007, 10:36 AM
YUP,
Sure can... I like the marvelux flux the best as it doesn't stink... but any wax will work in a pinch.. the old lee alox stick stuff work for me for years and it makes a good mold lube to...
Good luck
Calvin
PS keep a screw driver handy as the ten pound pots tend to leak... when, not if, it starts leaking just twist the stem that goes down to the hole in the bottom of the pot.... this will slow the leak or stop it for a while.. and have something under the spout to catch the drips...

redbear705
07-01-2007, 10:50 AM
the one good thing about casting lead is that if you dont like what you cast.....you can recycle it!

JR