PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Model 39

9.3X62AL
07-25-2005, 12:49 AM
A little off-topic, since it's a rimfire. This rifle is apparently a first-year production example, S/N 16XX, with Marble's tang sight installed competently. Condition is about 90% or so.

I took a gander at my old Fjestaad's Blue Book to get an idea of its value, and concluded that the editors were on crack when they set the type for that passage.

Turning next to GunsAmerica, I observed that 1) the guys selling the M-39's in worse shape than the example in my gun safe used the same drug vendors that service the Fjestaad's staff or 2) perhaps this rifle has some substantial value I did not fully appreciate. I still suspect cocaine base plays a role in this somehow.

The rifle belongs to a hunting buddy that works for CHP, and he wants to sell it without screwing either himself or the buyer. Any assistance with real-world pricing would be appreciated. Thanks, folks!

Buckshot
07-25-2005, 05:49 AM
..............Ya got me on price. I don't follow lever action rimfires. I hate to sound like Marie, or maybe it's Donna, but you already HAVE a M39 Marlin. You getting into gun collecting, rather then mere accumilation? [smilie=l:

...............Buckshot

Willbird
07-25-2005, 06:45 AM
Hey Buckshot, now you know when he has a buddy stop by, and they go out to do some rimfire plinking it is very important to have equal equip so neither has an excuse for poor performance hehe.

That sounds like a perfectly good reason to have two model 39's.

Bill

9.3X62AL
07-25-2005, 11:53 AM
I already have a M-39A that I'm very happy with, and I'm not proposing to buy this one. He also has a pretty decent Winchester Model 67 with period-correct Weaver 4X in a side mount, and a bolt "Mauserlein" 22 as well. Just trying to help him sell these critters.

omgb
07-25-2005, 09:29 PM
How much does he want for that M39? I just might be interested
R J Talley

nevada duke
07-27-2005, 02:25 AM
Deputy Al, you have brought up the value of my favorite .22 rf. I've had mine since the 50's and it is my favorite. I've seen nice examples selling in the $300 to $400 range at the last few gunshows I've been too. We have the 20" barrel Mountie version in the safe also, just as accurate. Considering that a new one is now over $500 list, 3 to 4 sounds fair to me.

Best from Nevada duke.

PatMarlin
08-16-2005, 12:49 AM
I bought one just like this one here in my avatar by mowin' lawns as a kid in 1970.

Model 39a Century LTD centennial 1870 -1970. Paid $119 for it, and it sits in my gun safe today with hardly a scratch.

Used it for skunk duty last winter.. :mrgreen: