PDA

View Full Version : Friends helping in a move....

Gussy
06-29-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm assuming a lot of folks here have moved. I've moved several times and something always seems to get lost. I moved for the last time, at least I think so. I'm still looking for several items. We just got a group of friends together and had a "moving party". Well, if you didn't pack it, and you didn't haul it or stack it, you might not know where it went. We couldn't get a house done quickly enough when we sold our last one, so we lived in an apt for 2 years while I built the house (still working on it too). Most of our stuff was in storage. We have now gone through every box and still can't find some items....found quite a few I'd forgotten I owned however.

This brings me to yesterday. As I noted on another post, I bought a bunch of lead yesterday. I was thinking I'm getting very low since when I last cast a couple of months back I had to really scrounge for enough WW to make up an alloy. Well, last night I unloaded my new stash and started looking in my shed for the remains of my old hoard so I could get an up to date inventory. Under some junk I found some of the "missing" lead. No WW, but pure roofing lead, about 400lbs. I always thought I had more but CRS came into play. I also had some in the shop so it now looks like I have about 1200 of lead, 50 lbs WW, about 80 lbs of tin and maybe 50 lbs of babbit of unknown alloy bought a year or two back which I still haven't gotten around to checking out. The babbit is of questionable quality.

I did personally move most of my reloading stuff and my guns so I could get set up quickly. That worked OK. Also moved the tin so it wouldn't get mixed with anything or lost. I still think there may be some thing hiding in the shed or??????
Gus

9.3X62AL
06-29-2007, 12:34 PM
I hear ya, Gussy. Just finished a move ourselves, and I'm about halfway through getting the garage and reloading area set up.

A number of distractions are now posed, things like giving the non-existent lawn a new lease on life (Rhyzome Resurrection, The Early Days). Bermuda grass is immortal, only requiring a wake-up call from the sprinkler. De-boxing the home contents is another task that needs attention once in a while. And, after a summer trip next month, I want to get a garden going. It stays warm enough for vegetables through October here, so one crop is possible.

redneckdan
06-29-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm still getting moved in...2 months later.:roll:

BD
06-29-2007, 07:39 PM
I can count 10 moves off the top of my head. Along the way I paid for one house in full, and I learned that I don't really need everything I own, everywhere I go, so I keep my "stuff" there. I rent that house in Maine but the tenet doesn't get the whole shop so I can keep my "stuff". My problem is that I'm usually sure I have what I'm looking for, I'm just not sure if I have it "here". I'll get organized enough to do what I do well just about the time I'm too old to do it anymore. My mother used to say, "if you've moved a box three times without opening it, just throw it away". Of course she didn't live by her own advice. When she moved out of the big house we kids grew up in, the auction/yard sale brought in over $20,000. A lot of it was unopened boxes, and this was in the 80's when 20 grand was real money. She had three generations of a condensing family's stuff packed into that big old place.
BD

waksupi
06-29-2007, 10:44 PM
I tell people, I will only help them move once, so make it good! Last guy I helped, was a friend in the Border Patrol. Three gun safes, lotsa lead and ammo. I wish I would have had other plans!
I helped some friends move about 25 years ago. They still have a full wall in thier basement stacked full of boxes that we moved back then, that have never been opened. Maybe they didn't need to move it? Or maybe they are waiting to be on antiques roadshow when they open them again.
"Vintage 1980's plastic and stainless soup dipper, very little wear, almost showroom condition. Auction value, 89 cents"

LarryM
06-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Grew up and Airforce brat then joined the Navy. Never lived in one place more than 4 years till I was 34 years old. Always heard 4 moves equals a house fire.