PDA

View Full Version : Even a chest shot with a 50 BMG does not guarantee a DRT...

Silvercreek Farmer
12-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Amazing how far they can go on fumes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okn_OS9twok

Perhaps the hollowpoint expanded right as it exited?

white eagle
12-22-2012, 10:31 AM
cant open it
wont sign in for it

35remington
12-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Hollowpoints don't expand "as they exit." If it is going to expand at all, it does it within the first inch or so of penetration where impact velocity and deceleration and energy are highest.

"Not expanding until near the exit" has always been in error. Bullet expansion doesn't work that way.

"Bang flops" on every shot don't happen either.....but there's a lot of guys without much hunting experience that believe it should happen most of the time. They do not.

Wolfer
12-23-2012, 06:55 PM
35 rem is right, a big percentage of the deer I shoot will run from 30 to 70 yds. A few less and a few more but most will be in that area.
Smaller,faster guns especially with a bullet that comes apart if placed in the boiler room tends to drop them on the spot more often. But a big,heavy slow boolit in the right spot is utterly reliable even if they do take a couple jumps.

Griz44mag
12-24-2012, 09:22 PM
I didn't watch it simply because of the title.
Hunting anything less than elephant with a 50BMG is just being a jerk that's rattling for attention.
It probably means wasted meat, and is way outside of the realm of ethical hunting.
Killing for kicks like that, just a sign of too much inbreeding.
I'll bet this wasn't done with a cast bullet either, so it's off topic as well.

Bullshop
12-24-2012, 11:23 PM
A few years ago I got a road kill bison from DOT. It was a very large bull. While gutting it out I saw it had several broken ribbs that had healed over. I thought this must be the second time this old boy was hit by a vehicle. When butcherd a 50 bmg bullet was found at the base of his neck. The bullet had gone in on a raking angle from the rear and had broken those ribbs I mentioned and stopped at the base of the neck in the heavy muscle. So yea I know for sure that just because something is hit with a 50 bmg dont mean its done. It took a Chevy Taho to do this boy in.
Oh and BTW he was also found to be carrying a nicely expanded 30 cal bullet in his neck as well. Tough old boy. Even the Chevy didnt kill him but just broke his legs so he had to be put down. The Chevy was totaled.

Multigunner
12-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Deer have a unique cardio vascular system. When struck the blood vessels clamp down and construct keeping sufficient blood pressure to the brain and running muscles even if the heart stops.
Also the nerve impulses that govern running originate in the spine rather than the brain.
I've seen a film clip of a deer with neck, and presumably spinal cord, broken by a high powered rifle hit with head hanging down loosely run for a short distance till the antlers were caught in brush, then go down with legs continuing their running motion for several seconds.
The Deer has a number of internal survival mechanisms that set them apart from other mammals.

PS
This particular deer had caught the glint of sunlight off the chrome plated scope being field tested on that program. The hunters were in Camo, and the rifle was camo'ed, and these rocket scientists keeping wondering how the first few deer had spotted them before they could get off a shot. That huge honking chrome plated scope was the reasin, but they never seemed to catch on.

The deer had begun to react before the shot hit him, so the basic flight command had gone to the mid and lower spine before the connection to the brain was cut.

Wolfer
12-24-2012, 11:39 PM
In my younger days I bought a bunch of Sierra 165 gr HPs to shoot in my 30-06. Very accurate and I was anxious to shoot a deer with one. First deer jumped just as I shot and the bullet hit at the rear of the lungs just in front of the paunch. It ran about 30 yds and piled up. When I got there the entire unbroken paunch was hanging outside the hole.
Second deer was close. It came in sight around a treetop at 10 yds or so and the bullet hit square on the shoulder. Entrance hole was about 6" in diameter, no exit. I found a large nearly square chunk of lead underneath her bag while dressing her. Quite the mess. I decided to go with a tougher bullet.
She also went about 30 yds.

waksupi
12-25-2012, 01:31 AM
Veral Smith covered the problem with over sized wound channels, as have several other sources. Too big of a hole, does not bleed well.
Even with a killing shot, it can take an animal sometime to realize it is dead. I have watched deer, elk, moose, buffalo and bear with good killing shots in them. No need for follow ups, it just took some time for them to realize they were dead.
A friend of mine who had a considerable count in the Mekong Delta told me of various antics the human body will go through after a fatal shot, leaving a body a considerable distance from where they were shot. These weren't wounding shots, they were well placed by an expert.

JesterGrin_1
12-26-2012, 01:30 AM
This is something that I find very hard for people to understand between Humans and Animals. A Human when shot knows mentally how bad it is and usually stop even if it is not a bad wound. But animals only know one thing they are hurt and they need to get away. Or in the Case of such Animals as Bears,Lions and so forth they only know they are hurt and if possible they are going to go after what hurt them till they die.

Some people even on this forum felt I was picking on them when I would give my opinion on what arms they were going to use. When in Fact it was a concern for there well being.

starmac
12-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Why would one expect a 50 bmg pass through shot to put one down any quicker than a 50 cal round ball that passed through, or any round that has enough energy to make two leaks??

MBTcustom
12-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Hell, I did that much damage with my 358Winchester! Heh heh.

nanuk
12-28-2012, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't expect a 50BMG to expand at all on a deer.

nor would it slow much...

1/2" going in, 1/2" going out....

I think you'd need a bigger gun!

HighHook
12-28-2012, 11:16 PM
50 cal was designed to stop vehicles, boats or planes. 30 cal was for the 2 legged critters inside. Just say'in....

Gunnut 45/454
12-30-2012, 05:58 PM
To the OP sure it may not put them down DRT but I garentee they are out of the fight PERMENTLY! And any animal shot in the Heart /lung is dead to! Never seen one survive with a heart/lung shot placement no matter what caliber use! How fast they die is determined by alot of other factors beyond the damage the bullet does! But they all die! Now I will say this if I shot them the way I normally do they very rarely take more then one step if any! I'll tell you why - I try to get a slightly quartering away shot to where my bullet will enter just behind the shoulder and hit to opposite shoulder breaking it! By breaking the off shoulder it usually causes enough sock to the system that the deer don't recover and fall with in a step or two and stay down. Never had one get back up with this shot placement- NEVER! This type of shot placement works on any animal! Way more effective then just punching a hole through the heart/ lungs.

DLCTEX
12-30-2012, 06:21 PM
I've seen a number of coyotes run 400- 500 yds. with no heart left. Also a deer went 50 yds, stopped came back to point where shot and made another 20 yds with a pulverized heart.

Wolfer
12-30-2012, 10:17 PM
To the OP sure it may not put them down DRT but I garentee they are out of the fight PERMENTLY! And any animal shot in the Heart /lung is dead to! Never seen one survive with a heart/lung shot placement no matter what caliber use! How fast they die is determined by alot of other factors beyond the damage the bullet does! But they all die! Now I will say this if I shot them the way I normally do they very rarely take more then one step if any! I'll tell you why - I try to get a slightly quartering away shot to where my bullet will enter just behind the shoulder and hit to opposite shoulder breaking it! By breaking the off shoulder it usually causes enough sock to the system that the deer don't recover and fall with in a step or two and stay down. Never had one get back up with this shot placement- NEVER! This type of shot placement works on any animal! Way more effective then just punching a hole through the heart/ lungs.

As long as you have enough gun this shot works equally well going the other way also. Rarely, possibly never have I shot a deer on the point of the shoulder when quartering to me and had it make more than a step or two. Most will smack the ground like you jerked the rug out from under them.

This might not work with a 223 and V-max bullets but from a 30-30 up it certainly does.

ammohead
12-31-2012, 12:35 AM
I saw a pronghorn buck run 40 yards as fast as a pronghorn can run before piling up from a heart shot with a 30-06 and a 150 gr rem bronze point. Didn't know he was dead.

pls1911
01-04-2013, 05:59 PM
I agree in part with Griz.. shot placement is king.
My imaginary zero is a 3" ball between the shoulders, centered about 4" down from the topmost line.
That's my bullseye from any angle, always drops the target DRT, side to side , nose to *******, dead in it's tracks witha 30-30 or 45-70.

I take issue however regarding the comment kill for fun.
I body stack the critters for fun and to feed the vultures and as coyote bait... the stinkin pigs make a wheat field look like a mine field, and tear up everything in sight, ruin Turkey and quail hunting, and the coyotes decimate the deer...
Kill 'em all on sight, let 'em lay, without remorse..

Griz44mag
01-04-2013, 07:03 PM
PLS,
You too are in Texas, and I do not know if other states have similar programs. I agree with you on the elimination of pests and predators. Wasting good pig meat is not on that list. ANY responsible hunter in the State of Texas can drop off fresh killed Hogs (and deer) to one of the processors on the donor list, and there are a lot of them, and the processor will butcher it and the meat will be delivered free of charge to the local orphanages. THERE IS NO COST TO THE HUNTER. The cost is shared by the State and the Processor. So there is no excuse for wasting the meat. And anyone that tries to tell me that feral pig is not good to eat is much less than truthful. Everyone who lives here agrees we have a hog problem, that's no excuse for controlling them the WRONG way. PLEASE, go ahead and shoot them, remove them from the environment, but don't waste them.

coverbw
01-06-2013, 01:18 AM
I've been surprised over the years with the way animals will bang-flop with certain calibers and bullets and not with others... For some reason all the deer/antelope I've hit with a 25-06 die like they were hit by lightning. Not a step. I always thought it was just the speed. Then last year I loaded up some 160 gr ttsx in my 338 lapua mag at around 3600 fps and went after a doe antelope. Perfectly placed shot at about 100 yards and she ran about 60 yards. The exit hole was large enough that half her lung was hanging out. The only thing I can take away from it is just keep using the 25-06. :-P

rockrat
01-06-2013, 03:39 PM
If I am going to shoot a deer with my 50bmg, it is going to be loaded with an AM600gr swc mold I have. Think Lyman 429244 expanded to 50 cal. Run it about 2200fps. If jacketed, something designed for the 50AK at the right speed. Have no desire to shoot a deer with it anyhow. Elk, different story. I have Barnes 647gr bullets designed for hunting with the bmg, that I would use.
Course, I only draw about once in 5 years and getting to the age where I might get to hunt only once more, for elk, before calling it quits. Have a nice 6.5 Swede for that purpose.

FLYCUTTER
01-06-2013, 07:26 PM
I don't see the purpose of taking a deer with a 50bmg. You spend money for the permit, the time in the field only to blow up a deer and end up with all blood shot meat. Don't make any sense. If you want to blow things up go to a machine gun shoot and blow up cars with you 50.

BAGTIC
02-24-2013, 03:09 PM
The response is not unique. It is typical.

429421Cowboy
02-24-2013, 03:26 PM
I gave them thumbs down and left a polite, but unfavorable comment.

Shooting a doe (pounds of pure meat) with a rifle that "left shock trauma all the way to the front hooves" is just plain dumb. Their comments all seem to be focused on how legal it was, not how unethical and stupid it was to put on youtube for all to see.

429421Cowboy
02-25-2013, 01:02 AM
He blocked me from commenting on his video and suggested i take up model trains instead.

Screwbolts
02-25-2013, 08:18 AM
He is, as you are, both entitled to your opinions! He is also the master of his video. His suggestion is just that, enjoy the day!

Griz44mag
02-25-2013, 08:23 AM
He blocked me from commenting on his video and suggested i take up model trains instead.
That's not surprising at all. Irresponsible shooters like this are only looking for praise from other irresponsible, unethical people with a like mind.
Seems these days there are a lot of them. This is the kind of behavior that the anti-gun, anti-hunting crowd look upon for their evidence that our sport and way of life should be restricted or banned. It's best we not hand them **** like this to support their argument.

429421Cowboy
02-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Screwbolts, you are entirely correct, it is a free country and he was totally legal in doing what he did, so it just boils down to a matter of personal ethics!
Griz, that was my thought exactly, Youtube is not the place for that stuff where any anti can see it and tack that on all hunters! We need only things that show us in a positive light these days!

Bullshop
02-25-2013, 12:15 PM
With the huge influx of new and inexperianced reloaders jumping in due to the political atmosphere I am braceing for the inevitable rash of blunders that will fuel the anti fire.
There will be no shortage of incidents for their show and tell and a new episode of "The Simpsons".

45 2.1
02-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Hollowpoints don't expand "as they exit." If it is going to expand at all, it does it within the first inch or so of penetration where impact velocity and deceleration and energy are highest. Thats the point where it starts expanding.

"Not expanding until near the exit" has always been in error. Bullet expansion doesn't work that way. Depending on just what your using, that might or might not be true.

"Bang flops" on every shot don't happen either.....but there's a lot of guys without much hunting experience that believe it should happen most of the time. They do not.
Your welcome to your opinion, but you don't really know what someone else has done...... There are two spots on a deer that are not CNS or bone that allow DRT.... it ain't the heart either as i've destroyed several deer hearts with shotgun and handgun solids to know better ( 350 yard trailups aren't very fun either ). You shoot enough deer and you'll probably find at least one of them. Works for rifle, shotgun, handgun and muzzleloader. Yep bang flops do happen.... when you know what to do and can shoot them where you want. People who don't want to put in the time need not apply.

taco650
02-25-2013, 07:32 PM
One thing that concerns me about shooting any animal with a 50bmg is how many other things that big slug is going to penetrate before coming to a rest. If it can shoot through airplanes, vehicles, concrete walls, etc a deer isn't going to slow it down enough to keep it from traveling several more miles.

300winmag
03-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Your welcome to your opinion, but you don't really know what someone else has done...... There are two spots on a deer that are not CNS or bone that allow DRT.... it ain't the heart either as i've destroyed several deer hearts with shotgun and handgun solids to know better ( 350 yard trailups aren't very fun either ). You shoot enough deer and you'll probably find at least one of them. Works for rifle, shotgun, handgun and muzzleloader. Yep bang flops do happen.... when you know what to do and can shoot them where you want. People who don't want to put in the time need not apply.
45 2.1 I agree
I do 1 shot drops with the 44 mag 629 for many years, it is shot placement. Front shot I place just below the throat breaks the spine DOA. Side shot is placed just behind the ear or mid way down the neck spine shots DOA, I know that if I don't put it down on the 1st shot It is not going to run towards the truck!!!!!! So yes it can be done, take the time and make a good shot.......As for the OP video, shooting to waste a deer that just BLOWS. It give the ethical hunter a bad name. I have done sport hunting BUT the meat was given to a good cause. NOT wasted.

Griz44mag
03-03-2013, 02:16 PM
If it can shoot through airplanes, vehicles, concrete walls, etc a deer isn't going to slow it down enough to keep it from traveling several more miles.
Taco is correct in this. It has not been all that long since the 50BMG incident at the race trace in North Fort Worth. Bullet travel on that one was just over 5 miles. And after that much travel, it still penetrated the top of a motor home and still had enough energy to pass completely through the ladies arm, breaking bones on it way through the floor of the vehicle. Use of such a rifle needs to be confined to controlled conditions, where shots will find their final resting place in a berm or other suitable backdrop. We as a sporting community, don't need this kind of bad press, deer or motor home.

DCM
03-03-2013, 03:25 PM
A friend of mine has photGRAPHIC evidence + 2 eye witness accounts of a deer he completely gutted with a 7mm Rem mag bullet that ran and jumped a barbed wire fence (leaving some inards attached to the fence.
The deer was walking towards him, he shot it low in the chest, ripped a large hole and most of its' guts out, the deer then ran and jumped a barbed wire fence leaving the rest of its guts there.
He said tracking was easy (pics prove that very ell) but everyone was truly amazed how far that thing went on autopilot.
IMO a solid brain or spine shot forward of the shoulders is the only guaranteed down right there method and that doesn't even guarantee a dead right there all of the time.
For most folks a solid hit with something that gives a good blood trail is the safest bet period.
A sharp broad-head is better than a lot of bullets.

35remington
03-03-2013, 04:17 PM
45 2.1, if you can advance a case wherein a shooter has produced DRT on each and every deer shot, I'd be most fascinated to see that unicorn.

"Yep bang flops do happen.... when you know what to do and can shoot them where you want."

Didn't say that bang flops didn't happen, did I? I said they didn't happen on every shot, and to expect that will be so on every shot given variable shot placement from unsteady rests, differences in shot placement due to angle and shooter skill and, most of all, opportunity, is asking for too much.

Not a single thing you said changes the correctness of what I wrote, so if you don't mind, I perceive myself as uncorrected.

Those few bullets that don't expand immediately, like some of Berger's bullets, still do so very close to the entrance hole, and within a few inches of said hole. Most of bullet expansion happens near the entrance hole. Most bullet expansion starts nearly immediately, where energy transfer and deceleration are greatest.

That statement bears no correction as well.

35remington
03-03-2013, 04:19 PM
45 2.1, if you can advance a case wherein a shooter has produced DRT on each and every deer shot, I'd be most fascinated to see that unicorn.

"Yep bang flops do happen.... when you know what to do and can shoot them where you want."

Didn't say that bang flops didn't happen, did I? I said they didn't happen on every shot, and to expect that will be so on every shot given variable shot placement from unsteady rests, differences in shot placement due to angle and shooter skill and, most of all, opportunity, is asking for too much.

Not a single thing you said changes the correctness of what I wrote, so if you don't mind, I perceive myself as uncorrected.

Those few bullets that don't expand immediately, like some of Berger's bullets, still do so very close to the entrance hole, and within a few inches of said hole. Most of bullet expansion happens near the entrance hole. Most bullet expansion starts nearly immediately, where energy transfer and deceleration are greatest.

That statement needs no correction as well. It is pertinent to note the rare exception, but to describe that is typical is a mistake. It is not typical, and far, far outweighed in frequency by the description of bullet performance that I mention.

Rattus58
03-12-2013, 01:57 PM
I didn't watch it simply because of the title.
Hunting anything less than elephant with a 50BMG is just being a jerk that's rattling for attention.
It probably means wasted meat, and is way outside of the realm of ethical hunting.
Killing for kicks like that, just a sign of too much inbreeding.
I'll bet this wasn't done with a cast bullet either, so it's off topic as well.

How is it outside the realm of ethical hunting?

taco650
03-12-2013, 06:04 PM

It may not be unethical to hunt deer with a 50 BMG but it fits my definition of OVERKILL. A .460 or .378 Weatherby would fit that catagory for me too. Just my .02.

Griz44mag
03-12-2013, 07:53 PM
The act of asking that question tells me that it would be a waste of time to try and explain it to you.
You either are or are not an ethical individual, the core values of each person generally permeate the entire character.

gandydancer
03-12-2013, 08:17 PM
cant open it
wont sign in for it ditto!

429421Cowboy
03-13-2013, 12:04 AM
ditto!

You didn't miss much, just a deer that ran a few yards with a basketball sized hole in it an a bunch of guys hooting about it...

Dannix
03-18-2013, 06:09 AM
50 cal was designed to stop vehicles, boats or planes.
Nah, that's what 20mm is for.

Maybe the OP should have used 20mm. >_>

Rodfac
03-23-2013, 09:25 AM
He missed on the first shot but did manage to crater the hillside based on the bullet splash,...then killed the 2nd deer. Wonder where the bullet ended up as that 2nd deer was ridge-lined...God help the people in the next valley. Too, I was really impressed with the musical accompaniment, camo/and four wheeler bench rest set-up. This **** gives us all a bad name. Rod

Rattus58
03-24-2013, 04:59 AM
It may not be unethical to hunt deer with a 50 BMG but it fits my definition of OVERKILL. A .460 or .378 Weatherby would fit that catagory for me too. Just my .02. For me, like you, I can't see the BMG as really the rifle I'd be taking hunting for a lot of reasons, not just the overkill factor. To each their own in my opinion, but opinions of others will eventually enter into our opportunity to own some of these really fine guns.

I've never shot anything in centerfire more powerful than a 30 something caliber Weatherby.. don't think it was .378, but the owner couldn't sight it in he flinched so much the barrel rose about two inches before he squeezed the trigger... :holysheep I'm a big bullet kinda guy myself especially in muzzleloaders liking my .451's and 58's.

Aloha... 8-)