PDA

View Full Version : Pics of T/C Renegade

garbear
12-21-2012, 03:26 PM
56444 56445
My gun has been here for a few days. I went and tried it out the other day. I dug through my tools and found a 9/16 gasket cutter. will be trying some display board for my shot gun loads. The rifle came with remington caps and round ball. Also some felt wads. The nipple has a bur so that has to be honed with some emry cloth and steel wool.

Garbear

thegatman
12-21-2012, 03:42 PM
I love the Renegades. How is the bore? Make sure the hammer hits the nipple square. It can be adjusted by heating it and bending it. Lots of aftermarket parts for repairs.

Fly
12-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Those are very fine rifles.Back in the day they where what the rich guy bought
if not a custom.
Fly

izzyjoe
12-22-2012, 09:43 PM
I really like the Renegade, it's a good hunting rifle. i don't care to much for the Hawken because of the brass hardware.

nhrifle
12-22-2012, 10:30 PM
I got mine from Kittery Trading Post in Maine when I was working for T/C when they were still in Rochester, NH. I got it for a song since it was a smoothbore (.62 cal IIRC) and the stock had a severe crack at the wrist. I showed it to the techs in the custom shop one night when I got to work and they said they would have it back to me in a couple days. I also bought a new .50 rifled barrel from the company store which was right next door. They brought it to me in the middle of my shift at the end of the week and when I saw it I couldn't have been happier. They put a piece of wood on it that could have come from Shiloh Sharps' finest walnut inventory. The grain is superb, not overly figured but deeply textured and beautifully inletted. And there was no charge to me! Lifetime warrantee and they didn't want to know any details!

I couldn't be happier with the rifle. It is about the most accurate BP rifle I have ever shot and gorgeous to boot. I loaned it to a couple friends who live in Vermont and were using it for squirrel hunting. I kind of scoffed when they said that, I mean, a .50 for squirrel? There won't be anything left! They told me they were using light charges with round balls, and if you wing em just under the ear there is no meat or pelt damage. Squirrel is a small target anyway, I was just amazed at what they could do with it.

Beagle333
12-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Nice rifle! I love my Renegade. I have a .50 rifled barrel and a .56 smoothbore for it. They are very versatile guns. When my coin jar gets filled up, I'm going to get a Green Mountain drop-in barrel in .40 or .45 for it as well. (It's a big coin jar[smilie=1:)

pietro
12-23-2012, 12:02 PM
56444 56445

The nipple has a bur so that has to be honed with some emry cloth and steel wool.

Garbear

Please do yourself a favor, ditch the crappy nipple and install a replacement like a HotShot nipple - They're only a few bucks, will make a big difference, and there'll be no worries.

BTW - 28ga shotcups (filled with birdshot) and an overshot wad will work just fine in that .56SB

garbear
12-23-2012, 12:23 PM
It has a hot shot nipple. Once it was run down in a drill with emory cloth and no no issues with my caps. I have 2 more nipples ordered.

I tried using the card board wads and the pattern is better using the felt wads that came with the rifle. I am going to experiment with the charge and shot combo's

Owners manuel suggest 80 grains powder and measure out the shot with poweder measure set at 60 grains. felt wad over the powder then shot then another wad.

I am going to get the shot load figured out then work up a prb load next.

Garbear

nhrifle
12-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks Beagle333, you reminded me that I had not remembered correctly. It was a .56 cal smoothbore before I changed the barrel.