PDA

View Full Version : I heard the bells on Christmas day

MBTcustom
12-20-2012, 10:41 PM
I heard the bells on Christmas day, their old familiar carols play, and wild and sweet the words repeat of peace on earth good will to men.
I thought how, as the day had come, the belfries of all Christendom, had rolled along th'un broken song of peace on earth good will to men.
And in despair I bowed my head "There is no piece on earth" I said, "For hate is strong and mocks the song of piece on earth, good will to men."
Yet pealed the bells more loud and deep "God is not dead nor doth He sleep; the wrong shall fail, the right prevail, With peace on earth good will to men."
Then ringing singing on its way, the world revolved from night to day- a word a chime, a chant sublime of peace on earth good will to men!

My wife, my daughter and I, decorated the living-room for Christmas tonight.
First, we hung the nail on the door jamb, and I explained to my daughter that it was the most important symbol that we observe, because it was for this reason that we were given the gift of Jesus Christ.
Next we arranged the nativity scene on the mantle piece, and it was explained also.
Then, as is our tradition, we cracked open the hymnal (a little too dusty I'm afraid), found the Christmas carols, and began to sing.
I admit, I was fighting back tears while we sang "Angels we have heard on high", "Hark! the herald angels sing", and "Oh holy night!" but when we sang "I heard the bells on Christmas day-", and we got to those two middle lines, I couldn't sing anymore.
My innocent daughter asked me why I was crying?
I looked at my wife and said "because it's still true".

Merry Christmas everybody. I hope you have a great time with your families, and enjoy every second of it. I will be spending Christmas at home with my wife and daughter this year, and I expect to meet with several members in the coming days. It certainly is going to be a wonderful Christmas.

linotype
12-20-2012, 11:53 PM
May you see the joy in each day, the love of family and friends, and the Lord's peace in your heart.
Merry Christmas.

.22-10-45
12-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Hello goodsteel, Wishing a merry Christmas to you and yours. Sounds like you are truly blessed with riches beyond measure!
Isn't it amazing when you stop and think about it....from most peoples view at the time..he was just a poor kid born in a barn, then when he was older..just another calloused handed blue collar Jew...But to those who really know him...Oh what a saviour!

smoked turkey
12-21-2012, 01:08 AM
Merry Christmas from here to everyone. Yes the old Christmas carol is quite right about no peace on earth. God's inspired scriptures tell us that. We won't have peace until the Prince of Peace comes back. The way the world is going I don't think it will be too long. I know we have made light of the end of the world on the 21st. However the real deal will be no laughing matter. I will continue to pray for peace on earth and good will toward men because that just means the Prince of Peace has returned. Next time He won't be a baby in a manger. Goodsteal thanks for posting as a reminder of the world situation.

missionary5155
12-21-2012, 02:29 AM
Good morning and a heartful AMEN !
Mike in ILL

Charlie Two Tracks
12-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Good post goodsteel. Have a Merry Christmas. We know the reason for the season.

MBTcustom
12-21-2012, 09:35 AM
I know we do, probably better than any forum on the internet! LOL
Sorry for going all mushy on you, but my heart was mighty full last night.
We got a late start putting up the tree, and an even later start decorating, and to tell you the truth, I haven't really been in much of a Christmas mood.
I'm so busy, I just can't do it all. My wife can't help much, and my daughter is too small, so things get busier and busier, but I realized that if I didn't lay this stuff down and start doing Christmas, then I was going to ruin it for that little girl.
Well, I climbed up in the attic and got the decorations down, and we did it up right.
Good times.

41 mag fan
12-21-2012, 10:01 AM
you're a good man Tim, and it takes a big man to shed tears and tell about it. Nothing wrong with shedding tears and letting your daughter see them. it shows her you have compassion, even though she wont understand that till later in her life.
I hope you have a Merry Christmas and you wife and daughter does as well

Goatwhiskers
12-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Great post, goodsteel. Makes ya stop and think, again, about the truth in the Word. I feel compelled to tell about a thread I read part of on a La. based gun forum titled "lets keep the merry and get rid of the myth". Couldn't believe the people trying to use scripture to disprove the Truth. Had to get out of the site, might just delete it. The Bible is the gift of God to man for a rule and guide. Just couldn't grasp the number of people that don't believe and understand. God bless all here. Goatwhiskers

Wayne Smith
12-21-2012, 10:23 AM
LOML has been lighting candles since the first weekend of the month. Love that old carol, Tim, few truer words have been put to music. He will return and most of the world will be shocked.

My recommendation is for you and your wife to sit down and plan your traditions. These are the traditions you will be teaching your daughter. Not only holiday traditions, but Sunday traditions, vacation traditions, birthday traditions, etc. Then become almost religious in following them. This provides consistency and stability to us and to their young lives. Expectation is important, and fulfilling those expectations is equally important.

DCM
12-22-2012, 12:40 PM
VERY good post Tim!

Those words ring so true this year.

Thursday night I went to a performance at our local public high school and shed some tears of joy when they opened with come all ye faithful and followed it up with other religious songs.
I was extremely happy to see that they weren't overcome with political correctness BS!!!
I firmly believe that a lack of God in the lives of our youth is the main cause of most the problems we see today!

hiram1
12-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Well. Tim if i may.I see you found some light.The kind that will keep you and yours warm.I think you have always had it."Sorry for going all mushy on you"sounds like a real man inside to me.the kind of man i want to be around.and we need more of that kind of man.To you and yours Have a Merry Christmas.

Sweetpea
12-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Hey, Tim.

I was having trouble getting into the Christmas Spirit this year... Until I read your post.

I must admit, it brought out the softer side of me, and when I tried to read it to my wife, I couldn't. I just stood there with my eyeballs sweating all over the place while she read it!

Thanks for the uplifting message, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

rush1886
12-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Let us all pray for "Peace on earth, and goodwill towards men." Towards all of Our Fathers children.

Merry Christmas, All!