PDA

View Full Version : Redding, RCBS, Lyman neck sizers...

Marlin Junky
12-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Currently, I'm using a hodgepodge of dies to load '06 and want to take it up a notch. Who makes the best quality neck sizers these days?

I started reloading the '06 for shooting cast with a Lee Collet Sizer and a Lyman M-Die, but got unacceptable run-out more often than when using an RCBS FL sizer backed way off, followed by the M-Die. The Lee Collet Die is still involved in the process for spent primer removal only (it's backed off to the point where it doesn't performing any sizing) because I don't what to run the case necks over the unsupported, tight fitting de-priming button of the RCBS FL die. The RCBS FL die is adjusted to only size the first 1/4" of the '06 necks and even though the M-Die needs to open the necks up quite a bit to accept a boolit, the necks usually remain concentric to the body (at least while using my Remington 30-'06 cases).

Boolit seating is done with an RCBS Comp seater using a bushing that fits the .311" boolits pretty well; however, the bushing itself rattles around inside the die, which needs to be rectified.

Thanks for your input,
MJ

runfiverun
12-20-2012, 07:31 PM
love my hornady's.
they have a long smooth tapered ball expander and smooth neck area.
great for sizing necks up too.

Marlin Junky
12-20-2012, 09:24 PM
love my hornady's.
they have a long smooth tapered ball expander and smooth neck area.
great for sizing necks up too.

Thanks Lamar,

Any experience with Redding and/or RCBS neck sizing dies??

MJ

Doc Highwall
12-20-2012, 10:58 PM
I use both Redding Type S-full Bushing Length Dies and Type S-Neck Bushing Dies. I even have the Competition Bushing Style-Neck Sizing Dies.

runfiverun
12-21-2012, 12:33 AM
Don.
i have one redding for my 223's , and two rcbs's, one for my rem 700 in 8 mauser and one for my custom 25-06.
they are round specific.
the hornady's can be had in long and short lengths [you can make the short ones work on long cases though] and are pretty universal.

if i were going to go with a neck sizer for a specific gun i think i would measure things out and order the redding bushing neck sizer with a couple three different bushings.

for my 7x57 i.c.l. i use a 7mm win short mag die set to neck size and to seat boolits.
the wsm rounds were good for something after all eh..

dromia
12-21-2012, 04:14 AM
I use and like the Forster dies and bushes and they will make to your specification too.

Excellent quality and cheaper than Reddings. At least they are here in the UK.

243winxb
12-21-2012, 09:21 AM
The RCBS FL die is adjusted to only size the first 1/4" of the '06 necks The Redding type S FL bushing die can be adjusted to size almost all or only part of the neck. The unsized part of the neck expands to the chamber, centering the round. It can be used with or without the expander. Even more accurate, if outside neck turning brass, in my factory 243 Win. chambers with J bullets. You will end up buying about 3 bushing$

walltube
12-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Redding's "S" type.
If there is a mil-surp in your inventory for which there is no "S" neck sizer available, (7.62x54r, 7.5x55 for example) an "S" neck sizing die may be easily modified to suit that cartridge. The 300 Short Winchester Magnum serves both these two for me. Simply remove a portion of the un-threaded (bottom) of this die and have at it.

My two sou,
Wt.

Doc Highwall
12-21-2012, 10:44 AM
I will second what Droma says about the Forster dies. But I have also found a design problem with one of their dies that I am going to contact them about.

Forster will also sell me die parts that I modify where Redding wants to sell me the whole die